Ford Mondeo Enigine Management Lights ALL On HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i doubt very much the back wheels would lock up.

and im not entirely sure the abs system would be totally switched off. i had a rear sensor ring missing from my focus for a few days which put the brake warning light on, i noticed absoloutly no difference to the characteristics of the brakes,heavy or light braking.

Goldspanners…

Think it through, ABS basically works by looking at individual wheel rotations and turning down the brake pressure to any wheel it sees as not rotating when others are. If a sensor/ring is missing then the electronics don’t know how fast that wheel is rotating. There are three choices, it can assume it is rotating and do nothing to the pressure whilst controlling the pressure to the other wheels normally, it can assume it’s not rotating and turn the pressure down again controlling the other wheels normally, or it can turn the entire ABS system off.

The first two options would result in horribly unbalanced emergency braking so the only sensible solution is to turn the entire system off.

I’d guess the fact that you didn’t notice any difference in the brakes on your car is because you either didn’t have to do any emergency braking or if you did you are wise enough to limit the pedal pressure to avoid locking the wheels.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    my money is on a badly fitted abs sensor
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry : going slightly OT
    Another reason why I can't recommend getting an ODB2 fault reader highly enough
    Any specific recomendations, I seem to recall in another thread ( parts of which went missing for no apparent reason) you indicated yours could also prog keys & imob etc - at the time you pointed to ebay, but most (of a sensible price) seemed to be reader only according to the write ups
  • haggisAThome
    haggisAThome Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    goldspanners was correct to suggest the alternator may be at fault , many a time i have had people call me up to say " i was driving along and my abs light came on , and wont go out " its the cars way of telling you that something is wrong . and if the car was loosing electrical power then it will start shutting down systems slowly to save power , i see absolutely no fault with what the man was trying to tell you - help you
    22864 quid and counting , but now proud to be dealing with it :j

DMP Starts 5th aug 2009 :j

The motoring forum gets more and more interesting each day.. ;)
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Really can't understand why there's conflict in this thread, all plausible suggestions and no easily definable conclusion, apart from Kwik Crap really are just that:T:T:T:T
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Doodles22
    Doodles22 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Really can't understand why there's conflict in this thread, all plausible suggestions and no easily definable conclusion, apart from Kwik Crap really are just that:T:T:T:T

Sure are:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone apart from GoldSpanners for there help, time and advice :D

Takecare all you kind people

Have a lovely week all:D
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or.........

Maybe Doodles just doesn't fancy Goldie as much as the rest of us, I mean, he is pretty dmnn hot........:smileyhea

Or.......... Doodles does, so therefore, tries to prolong the thread for as long as poss. Its a thought.. :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm telling you Goldie - Doodles sure does have the hots for you.. ;)
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Doodles22
    Doodles22 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    vaio wrote: »
    Goldspanners…

Think it through, ABS basically works by looking at individual wheel rotations and turning down the brake pressure to any wheel it sees as not rotating when others are. If a sensor/ring is missing then the electronics don’t know how fast that wheel is rotating. There are three choices, it can assume it is rotating and do nothing to the pressure whilst controlling the pressure to the other wheels normally, it can assume it’s not rotating and turn the pressure down again controlling the other wheels normally, or it can turn the entire ABS system off.

The first two options would result in horribly unbalanced emergency braking so the only sensible solution is to turn the entire system off.

I’d guess the fact that you didn’t notice any difference in the brakes on your car is because you either didn’t have to do any emergency braking or if you did you are wise enough to limit the pedal pressure to avoid locking the wheels.

Really GoldSpanners has no ideal on brakes, only those fitted to a unfocus car, see what I did there;)
    We can all be childish GoldSpanners

And, you are my mate, I'm nice like that.
    I didn't reply to your chaging system comment as I wasn't on and thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt on it, although I knew it was highly un likely.

You need to some shotting people and commenting on my threads if you don't like my posts :rolleyes:
    Either put up or shut up to be honest but please, dont worry I wont be to heartbroken if you don't ever post on my threads again.

vaio we appaer to know alot more about ABS than most on here.
    When the light comes on, it means the ABS has shut down, the light isnt there for show:rolleyes:
    thanks vaio for your input :D
    Have a lovely week mate

Im not posting anymore on this thread and have requested to MODS it be closed, as I feel GoldSpanners needs to perhaps get off his high horse and start planning how he intends to chnage that headlamp bulb when it goes on his un focus.

GoldSpanners Grow up:T
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    Doodles22 wrote: »
    Really GoldSpanners has no ideal on brakes, only those fitted to a unfocus car, see what I did there;)
    We can all be childish GoldSpanners

And, you are my mate, I'm nice like that.
    I didn't reply to your chaging system comment as I wasn't on and thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt on it, although I knew it was highly un likely.

You need to some shotting people and commenting on my threads if you don't like my posts :rolleyes:
    Either put up or shut up to be honest but please, dont worry I wont be to heartbroken if you don't ever post on my threads again.

vaio we appaer to know alot more about ABS than most on here.
    When the light comes on, it means the ABS has shut down, the light isnt there for show:rolleyes:
    thanks vaio for your input :D
    Have a lovely week mate

Im not posting anymore on this thread and have requested to MODS it be closed, as I feel GoldSpanners needs to perhaps get off his high horse and start planning how he intends to chnage that headlamp bulb when it goes on his un focus.

GoldSpanners Grow up:T

how endearing. i doubt if anyone else reads this thread they will think twice before they reply to any of next threads you start.

you had posted after my comment about the alternator therefore you had been here and could have discounted my advise. but you decided to keep quiet until you were confindent it wasnt the alternator.
    personally rather than posting on here asking what people might think is wrong with my car i would have got in about it myself and found out what the problem was rather than folk having a guess about a car they have never seen. and even when you knew kwik fit had been under your car you still didnt even check the area out visually.
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport