Urgent help needed (bank accounts)

Options

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 September 2017 at 7:15PM
    Options
    As stated in the post above the correspondence from Nationwide doesn't really confirm that there is a flag at all, just where they have consulted before closing your account. Getting the CIFAS report will confirm for definite if there is a flag and what it is for. You then go back to Nationwide and dispute the flag, if indeed it has been incorrectly applied. This should really be your priority as I know that if it was me I would want the flag removed ASAP. As you appear to be ignoring this good advice, already given earlier in the thread, we are not quite sure what else you are expecting us to tell you.

I don't even believe that that correspondence was from Nationwide - it seemed like OP applied for an account elsewhere and that was the response they got.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Ahmsbelkz wrote: »
    It is strange indeed which is why i am struggling to find a solution. My card was lost and I had not realized until the next morning. Fraudelent activity was done in that time before I even reported it lost/stolen. Due to that the bank had labelled it fraudelent and under my name because at the time the account was active and had no reports of it being stolen or lost. It was a fairly new account and I hadn't lost any money because there was none on there. Long story short is fraud activity happened on my card I believe to be related to a deposit/transfer of some sort. I got flagged for it when in reality I was the victim of it.

Does anyone know if cashplus is a suitable alternative until this problem is sorted? Thanks again for your advice and I hope to get this matter sorted.

So between say a timeline of one evening (assuming 8pm) to the morning when you notified the bank of loss of your card (assuming 10am) in the space of 14 or so hours your story is that no ordinary stranger but a fraudster found your card and thought 'I know, I'll try and launder some money through this account even though I have absolutely no way of withdrawing the funds' and did a bank transfer to your bank using your sort code/account number on your card and then Nationwide thought hey-ho this transaction of £10,000 (I presume it was for a large amount for them to flag it/investigate it) is suspicious and then blocked your account. The following day when you called and Nationwide told you they were closing your account you were like 'ok that's fine, no problem'.

If that is the story you are peddling then good luck trying to get the CIFAS marker removed!

The only way to get a CIFAS marker removed, is for the company who put it on there in the first place have to remove it.

How are you going to convince Nationwide of your innocence when your story is so unbelievable?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    So between say a timeline of one evening (assuming 8pm) to the morning when you notified the bank of loss of your card (assuming 10am) in the space of 14 or so hours your story is that no ordinary stranger but a fraudster found your card and thought 'I know, I'll try and launder some money through this account even though I have absolutely no way of withdrawing the funds' and did a bank transfer to your bank using your sort code/account number on your card and then Nationwide thought hey-ho this transaction of £10,000 (I presume it was for a large amount for them to flag it/investigate it) is suspicious and then blocked your account. The following day when you called and Nationwide told you they were closing your account you were like 'ok that's fine, no problem'.

If that is the story you are peddling then good luck trying to get the CIFAS marker removed!

The only way to get a CIFAS marker removed, is for the company who put it on there in the first place have to remove it.

How are you going to convince Nationwide of your innocence when your story is so unbelievable?

Sounds about right, but the criminal mastermind only attempted to deposit £1300 (from the OP), and bizarrely this relatively small deposit is what triggered the alleged fraud warning.
    ====
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    The person who deposited the cash may have transferred it fraudulently from an account that was not theirs. They then hoped to withdraw or spend the cash using the OP's card.

Good point, was early morning when I posted.

Only way to have spent the monyey would be by contactless so alot of purchases with the limit low.
  • Ahmsbelkz
    Options

Yes that is what happened. He tried to use my account to do transfers or something like that I wasnt given full information but the amount was £1300. That is my story and how else am a I going to report it other than what actually happened?! I was the victim but is the one viewed as the fraudulant by nationwide who flagged me and denied it. Im just worried I wont ever be able to get this flag removed...can anyone answer me, would cashplus be an alternative until this is sorted?
  • Ahmsbelkz
    Options
    And for the records I phoned nationwide and they notified me it closed, I wasnt too stressed because it was a fairly new account and I thought Id be able to open a new one without any issue...but it turns out im flagged.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes that is what happened. He tried to use my account to do transfers or something like that I wasnt given full information but the amount was £1300.

So how does a person do transfers with just your bank card in their possession?

Did you write your online banking details like log in and password on the back of your card?
    ====
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Good point, was early morning when I posted.

Only way to have spent the monyey would be by contactless so alot of purchases with the limit low.

I assume there is a similar situation with all banks, but TSB told me that their system insist on a PIN number being given if 5 contactless payments are made in 24 hours. This would allow £150 maximum.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The 'fraudster' would be unable to use online banking because they wouldn't have the customer number and PIN. Cash machines would need a PIN.

Any online sale would mean giving an address for delivery and online bill payment would be to a party already having details ,so that leaves withdrawing in person, but they wouldn't know the PIN and the bank would likely have sent out an alert about the account.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...Days went on and they told me that it was for fraud and that someone had attempted to deposit £1300 into my account. Even though I had no clue of this happening I agreed and didnt mind that they closed the account until I had realized that I believe they put a blacklist on my name with all UK banks.

What was it that you agreed to? Was it that you knew the account had been used for some fraudulent purpose?

Normally if someone has been an innocent party to an attempted fraud they would kick up a fuss there and then if the bank tried to close their account. If you 'agreed' and didn't ask them to open a new account for you it might look to the bank like you were accepting you were in some way involved in illegal activity.

Also, are you sure the problem is with Nationwide if they are adamant it is not them? Have you checked all your other accounts/cards/loans etc to make sure nothing happened with any of them as well?

There is something about this that doesn't really add up.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport