Lifetime ISAs guide

Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,411 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nikkas wrote: »
    My daughter & partner have been investing in H2B for the past year and are due to complete a house purchase in July '17.
    The house is outside of London and over £250k so the H2B bonus will not apply as I understand.
    Is there anyway to transfer the savings into a LISA and take advantage of the bonuses?
    The only way would be to delay the purchase until May 2018, but that could be more costly than going without the bonus.
  • Tony_Ward_2
    Options
    Not sure what to do. I'm 40 in July...I work 3 days a week for NHS and the other days self employed. Is it worth getting a LISA? Or just another pension? I already have a house.
  • masonic
    Options
    Tony_Ward wrote: »
    Not sure what to do. I'm 40 in July...I work 3 days a week for NHS and the other days self employed. Is it worth getting a LISA? Or just another pension? I already have a house.
    It's difficult to say without more information. Presumably anything more you contribute to a pension will attract basic rate tax relief only (no reduction in NI contributions). If so the uplift will be the same. Part of your pension may be taxed on the way out, whereas a LISA would not. But a LISA counts as savings if you ever need to claim means tested benefits.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,896 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lungboy wrote: »
    I thought you only got the bonus on up to £4k of contrubutions, not 25% on the total.

Transfers of pre-17/18 Help to Buy ISA funds (including interest) count as contributions to a Lifetime ISA so attract the 25% bonus on top of any Lifetime ISA contributions up to the £4,000 limit in 17/18 onwards. Interest in the Lifetime ISA is not a contribution so does not have a 25% uplift.
  • gaz77
    gaz77 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    25% is deducted on anything you withdraw before 60 for a non-"life event". Investment performance within the LISA is irrelevant to this.

Income cannot be "paid away", so it will just be another form of growth within your LISA.

If you use their ready made ISAs, then you'd end up paying those extortionate fees. If you use a cheap multi-asset fund, your total fees could be as low as 0.67%.

Yes, or if you use their fixed portfolios, about 0.65%. There is no evidence their managed portfolio will perform better than the equivalent fixed one over the next X years.

I don't know, but you'd be mad to pay even this much.

Not necessarily. HL and Nutmeg are tied when it comes to the cheaper options.

Remember that Nutmeg is a loss making venture that has had to have several injections of capital to keep going, whereas HL is a profitable and established company, so that could factor into your decision. I'm not in a rush to open a LISA anywhere that currently offers one.

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of reading since this post, about Nutmeg, on the regular S&S ISA thread, and investing in general.

First question: should I be concerned that Nutmeg are a loss making venture? If they went bust, are the assets I've bought through them not ring-fenced? There may be a delay and paperwork, but presumably I'd get my money back, or their business would be sold to another provider?

I've read up on passive investing, and it seems a good strategy - buy funds that match the market and try to minimise fees. That's making the Nutmeg fixed allocation portfolios seem competitive, as there are no further costs for rebalancing or reinvesting dividends.
    Would I still be able to beat this with HL, using cheap index tracking funds, or would the extra trading fees make HL more expensive?

I'd need to read a bit more before I was comfortable choosing the funds for the HL option, but I've gained a lot of knowledge in the last week alone.

Finally: Nutmeg talks a lot about investing in ETFs. I've seen people say these have risks, but not what the risks are. Are they something I should worry about?

Thanks
  • masonic
    Options
    gaz77 wrote: »
    First question: should I be concerned that Nutmeg are a loss making venture? If they went bust, are the assets I've bought through them not ring-fenced? There may be a delay and paperwork, but presumably I'd get my money back, or their business would be sold to another provider?
    You'd get your money back, either through your account being taken over by another provider or you receiving compensation from the FSCS. But those who have been through the experience of having a provider go bust, tend not to want to repeat it.
    I've read up on passive investing, and it seems a good strategy - buy funds that match the market and try to minimise fees. That's making the Nutmeg fixed allocation portfolios seem competitive, as there are no further costs for rebalancing or reinvesting dividends.
    Would I still be able to beat this with HL, using cheap index tracking funds, or would the extra trading fees make HL more expensive?
    There are no trading fees at HL for trading index tracking funds. Alternatively, if you use ETFs, you'd pay a trading fee, but your other costs would be capped at £45 per year. Once you have a large sum invested, this could be a considerable saving over Nutmeg.
    Finally: Nutmeg talks a lot about investing in ETFs. I've seen people say these have risks, but not what the risks are. Are they something I should worry about?
    ETFs are listed directly on the stockmarket and are tradeable instantly during market hours. That can lead to the temptation to over-trade them. They also tend to have bid-offer spreads, which most closed ended funds do not. In extreme market conditions, their price could theoretically deviate from the value of the index they are tracking. So there are a few things to be aware of, not necessarily worry about.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 April 2017 at 11:59PM
    Options
    New query: can a LISA or H2B balance (including any bonuses...) be used to pay off / bring down the value of a *edit: new, first-time* mortgage ? (As opposed to being directed at a deposit) Or are they ONLY valid as used for deposit on a property ? (Ignoring pension-side of LISA and focusing it solely towards first time house)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure I'm understanding the distinction you're making - use of HTB/LISA funds towards a deposit will inherently reduce the size of the mortgage required by the same amount. Do you have example figures in mind that may help illustrate what you're getting at?
  • charlotteswead
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know if the max value of the property is £450k, or the max value of the percentage of the property you are buying is £450K to not get penalised?

For instance if 2 friends and i were to buy a property of £600K. If i use my LISA will i get penalised as the property is over £450K, even if my share is less?

Any help would be truly appreciated!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 April 2017 at 7:35PM
    Options
    It's the property value that counts, not an individual's share of it, so you can only use the proceeds of a LISA (without penalty) for a property valued below £450K.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback