The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dekkard wrote: »
    Easy Access Savings rates are creeping up. Does this mean banks assume the BoE will raise interest rates sooner rather than later?

Well don`t ask Mark Carney!

Since taking over as governor 5 years ago he`s dithered either way and when he finally made a cut it proved unneeded because it was based on his pessimism about Brexit, which he also got completely wrong.
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a note to advise of my experience with Post Office Savings. I re-visited them today given their current 1.27% rate, which is competitive as we speak.

I first had dealings with them a couple of years ago. Customer Service wasn't great then ( I recall I made a complaint at the time). There was an issue then whereby it took 10 days to get funds into my, newly opened account and there were other hiccups at the time. The rate was decent then, but dropped subsequently and I withdrew all but a couple of pounds, thinking that if the rate improved - and if the service improved - then I might return.

Today I called twice and waited 10 and 20 minutes respectively, listening to a painfully distorted racket being played to me whilst on hold (the machine that plays "music" was evidently not working correctly and it sounded like psychedelic running water.

The 10 day situation still exists - something to do with the two different banking systems (UK and Ireland) causing the delay in getting the first payment in to your account. However I was told that if my bank dies a transfer in then it's quicker. I will try that shortly and see how it goes.

I really wanted to boycott them on principle and go to the other provider also paying the same rate (Kent Reliance, who I have been with in the past and they weren't too bad) but as the Post Office account is up and running and passwords in place I decided to stay (and as I recall Kent Reliance Customer Service was in Bangalore so I might not be any better off).

We shall see.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE might want to add a note to post office account as "instant" is stretching the point. According to FAQ withdrawals < £10m will be next day. Deposits via DD is 3 working days, via debit card is immediately but can take 4 working days. On the other hand Tesco which is 1.20% today compare to 1.27% at post office is faster payments. Well to be fair I have a tesco current account for the 3% in that so I have transfers set up to and from that. I then move money to and from tesco saver as needed to keep current account at maximum. I've just opened a post office account and it's like going back in time.
  • I just followed the link to ICICI Bank on the easy access account list and after completing the application form to open an account on the final page I received an alert that the URL was not recognised. Has anyone else experienced this? I know it is unlikely but I worry as to whether the link from MSE may have been hacked and so whether I was on the correct website.
  • murphydavid
    Options
    I just followed the link to ICICI Bank on the easy access account list and after completing the application form to open an account on the final page I received an alert that the URL was not recognised. Has anyone else experienced this? I know it is unlikely but I worry as to whether the link from MSE may have been hacked and so whether I was on the correct website.
    Can't comment on your actual question but if you have a tracker blocker (like Ghostery'e etc.) they may sometimes do this.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »
    MSE might want to add a note to post office account as "instant" is stretching the point. According to FAQ withdrawals < £10m will be next day. Deposits via DD is 3 working days, via debit card is immediately but can take 4 working days. On the other hand Tesco which is 1.20% today compare to 1.27% at post office is faster payments. Well to be fair I have a tesco current account for the 3% in that so I have transfers set up to and from that. I then move money to and from tesco saver as needed to keep current account at maximum. I've just opened a post office account and it's like going back in time.
    To be fair, the MSE article linked from OP (despite the thread title) doesn't actually refer to any accounts as 'instant', just 'easy' access, i.e. it refers to lack of notice needed or penalties/restrictions on how many withdrawals can be made, not how long they take.

And Faster Payments is essentially a 'next working day' service, even though many banks are now able to transact even faster than this.

Note also that deposits into the PO Online Saver can be made by direct transfer initiated from your bank account, as per https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:148d19fd-ca62-4604-9560-3548d9f74ca9/online-saver-key-information-pack.pdf:
    Faster Payment – using your Bank or Building Society’s telephone or online banking service. Simply provide your Online Saver account number and sort code (we’ll send you this once your account is open) together with the amount you’d like to deposit.
    these being "Credited to your Account on the same Business Day on which the funds are received by us"
  • brotherbarry
    Options
    Is anyone having trouble withdrawing funds from the Post Office account...

Funds arrived into the account on Monday, and I want to transfer a couple of hundred back out... Yet I keep getting the error;

"Amount must be valid and not greater than the available balance of the account."

Yet I have more than enough fund to cover this transfer!

Extremely frustrating!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PO are well known for making it as difficult as possible for anyone to get their money out. I will never again have any money in a PO account for that reason.

I would recommend you call them. Their CS, once you got through to them, seem to be quite competent. Good luck!
  • Former_MSE_Karl
    Former_MSE_Karl Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
    edited 20 October 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »
    Hi Malc,

It's true that not all accounts featured in this guide will provide 'instant' access to your cash - only 'easy' access so I've changed the thread title accordingly.

In terms of the Post Office account, it's true that debit card deposits may take up to four days to arrive, though as a previous poster has mentioned, it could be much faster.
  • skitskut
    skitskut Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've just recently applied for the Birmingham Midshires 1.25% account, they'll automatically increase it to the currently on offer 1.30% rate.

That's good of them. Never known that before!

http://www.birminghammidshires.co.uk/existing-savers/interest-rates/available-accounts/?WT.ac=BMESIRAA3

Quote:
    'If you have applied for a Internet Saver account between the 6th October 2017 and 20th October 2017, you will automatically receive the rates shown in the table effective from the 20th October 2017.'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback