The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    This may seem a silly answer, but have you asked Charter?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This may seem a silly answer, but have you asked Charter?

I had asked them and they've now responded. The answer is yes.
  • Help please. Santander are offering a regular savings account where you can save £200 per month for 12 months with an AER gross of 5% calculated daily but added annually. They say maximum interest is £64.33. That doesn’t look like 5% to me or am I being stupid? Thanks
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Help please. Santander are offering a regular savings account where you can save £200 per month for 12 months with an AER gross of 5% calculated daily but added annually. They say maximum interest is £64.33. That doesn’t look like 5% to me or am I being stupid? Thanks

Possibly. What do you think it should be?
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Help please. Santander are offering a regular savings account where you can save £200 per month for 12 months with an AER gross of 5% calculated daily but added annually. They say maximum interest is £64.33. That doesn’t look like 5% to me or am I being stupid? Thanks
    Its correct see
    http://www.hl.co.uk/tools/calculators/regular-savings-calculator
  • I get it I am being stupid as 5% of £200 is £10 I thought the gross rate would be a multiple of that over 12 months. I’ve seen the calculator now...
  • murphydavid
    Options
    I get it I am being stupid as 5% of £200 is £10 I thought the gross rate would be a multiple of that over 12 months. I’ve seen the calculator now...
    Yes its 5% a year which is about 0.4% a month so on the last £200 deposit you only get 1 months interest about 83 pence (£0.83) you only get the full 5% compounded on the first £200 deposited because thats the only amount that is actually in the account for the full 12 months.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I get it I am being stupid as 5% of £200 is £10 I thought the gross rate would be a multiple of that over 12 months. I’ve seen the calculator now...

You're not the first, and you won't be the last;)

Just think about it though. The last £200 you pay into the account will have been there for a month at the most. Would they really pay you a whole year's interest on that £200?
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2017 at 9:36AM
    Options
    I opened an Ulster Bank savings account about 8 years ago. I don't live in Ulster and was not known to them before. Yet I had no problem whatever opening the savings account as well as a current account. The identity checks were carried out online. I did not need present any additional documentation nor to visit a branch. Indeed I have never at any time visited an Ulster Bank branch. I can only wonder if theloft has a skeleton hidden in their loft which was causing a problem to the bank.
    It just goes to show how behind the times your are! Security on bank accounts is much higher now due to money-laundering, and I have a current account with a leading UK bank, plus 3 savings accounts with building societies and similar. But the security to open an account with Ulster Bank was beyond the pale. I have now opened an Instant Savings Account on line with Charter Savings Bank, latest Best Buy Instant Access Account. There was absolutely no problem with them. For your information I do NOT have any skeletons in the loft, cupboard or elsewhere, so keep your rude thoughts to yourself in future!]
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Seeing the name Charter Savings Bank reminded me that there was a suggestion I wanted to make about the MSE Top savings article.
    I would suggest that a link to the "Notice Savings Accounts" paragraph is placed in the header after the fixed savings link so it can be found without lots of careful scrolling.
    And under that paragraph heading a mention is made of the 1.6% that can be earned with a 95 day notice account. (which, although a slightly lower interest rate than the 180 day one listed is of significant interest (to me at least) being the equivalent of a 3 month fixed rate account but efectively with the added advantage that you can choose any term beyond 3 months - not clearly expressed but you know what I mean)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback