New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Options

Comments

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can travel as many times as you want until it expires. It lasts 2 years.
  • I completed the ESTA when it was free a few months ago and didn’t enter a carrier name, departure city and address while in the US because it wasn't compulsory and also because I did not have these details. I have now purchased a ticket and know these details, should I fill this information in or is there still no need? Will it cause any issues if I still leave them blank?
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can complete them if you want, but there is no requirement to do so.
  • hullfaithful
    Options
    Hi, would really appreciate your advice. I have had a new passport delivered today with my new future married name - the passport is only valid from the date of the wedding and so I can't complete the ESTA registration - does anyone know a way arounf this?
    Thanks,
    Samantha
  • Wammer
    Wammer Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't think there is a way round it. Assuming you are travelling within 72 hours of the wedding, is it possible that someone could apply on your behalf on the day of the wedding?

Failing that, I understand you will be very busy on the day, but could you spare 5-10 minutes to complete it as that is all it takes.
  • scottishperson
    Options
    From the london us embassy website
    I have a postdated passport. Can I register under ESTA?

ESTA will only recognise a valid passport. Therefore, you will not be able to register your details until the date on which the passport becomes vaild for travel. It is recommended that a traveler submit a registration at least 72 hours before traveling. If there is insufficient time for you to do this between the wedding ceremony and date of travel, you may wish to delay applying for a postdated passport and travel on your exisiting passport together with a copy of your marriage certificate.
    72 hours is a recommendation, so even applying 10 minutes from your flight is permissable (at the moment)
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    From the london us embassy website

72 hours is a recommendation, so even applying 10 minutes from your flight is permissable (at the moment)

Assuming it's approved straight away, of course.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • scottishperson
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    Assuming it's approved straight away, of course.

There are no assumptions in my statement. 72 hours is a recommendation, 10 minutes is permissable.
  • Jabrul
    Options
    Hi,

I have filled out an ESTA on behalf of someone else and selected the incorrect year for their date of birth.
    We are due to fly out on Wednesday, is there a way of fixing this or do I need to apply for a new one?

Ta
  • Jabrul
    Options
    Jabrul wrote: »
    Hi,

I have filled out an ESTA on behalf of someone else and selected the incorrect year for their date of birth.
    We are due to fly out on Wednesday, is there a way of fixing this or do I need to apply for a new one?

Ta

EDIT: I wanted to be safe rather then sorry so I paid the 14 dollars and applied for a new one. What a nuisance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure