New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Options

Comments

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hmd1987 wrote: »
    I filled out 2 ESTAs last year just before the charge came in, for my wife and i - we are due to go on a carribean cruise in March. I have come to find the email with the reference numbers on but I can't find it?

Do i need to fill them out again and pay or do I just show my passport at immigration etc?

really worried

You don't need a hard copy, it's an ELECTRONIC document.

However if you want to print one out for your own peace of mind, or to check the validity dates, you can go to the ESTA website and retrieve it with your name, DOB, passport number and country of issue.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
  • s0198362
    s0198362 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Posted this in another ESTA thread, but thought it may be useful here, particularly the phone number (answered straight away, without any automated routing etc.).

Decided to check my ESTA status today. I applied just before the cut-off for free applications.

Typed in my reference number, and got no application found.

Tried searching for my application number by passport number and personal details. Again nothing found. :mad:

After cursing the entire country and swearing out loud, I decided that I had to bite the bullet and buy the bloody thing.

Halfway through the application the bloody website says that an existing ESTA is already on their database, and proceeding from here would cancel it and I would be charged.

So I cancelled the new application, but still can't access the old one.

After numerous attempts at finding my ESTA, I rang up the Department for (not my)Homeland Security. They found it fine.

+1.202-344-3710, from Monday through Friday, 9AM-5PM, Eastern Standard Time
  • courtney22
    Options
    could someone help me please i went to usa in march 2009 - and i think i did fill the esta out - but how can i check if i have one or not i have the same passport .
    been trying to get on the site all night and havent been able to get on - sooo frustrating!!
  • luci
    Options
    If you cannot get onto the site you will have to call them. The number is in the post above yours.

Try another browser if the one you are using cannot access the site.

Once you get on you can find out using your passport, name and DOB.

The ESTA is only valid for 2 years so is likely to have expired if you completed it for a trip in March 2009.
  • Bonking_Mad
    Options
    courtney22 wrote: »
    been trying to get on the site all night and havent been able to get on
    The website is still down

Seeking advice, we're travelling to USA later this year, one passport is up for renewal in March, should I renew the passport 1st, or make an ESTA application 1st?

The other passport has a 10 year visa issued by the American Embassy, does an ESTA application have to be made for this passport?
  • teapea_2
    teapea_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 January 2011 at 6:39PM
    Options
    I found this page because I was just trying to update my details and couldn't get on.

Considering it's the ONLY way you can apply - the website being down with no mention of it on their home page is quite frankly disgraceful.

While I appreciate web sites fall over and need down time for planned maintenance, I find this is appalling.

I have no idea if my ESTA is valid or not at the moment, and I fly out in 2 days. It was a last minute work trip. I *think* my ESTA is still in date, but I can't remember if last year I re-applied or simply updated my flight/destination details from a previous application. If it was an update then it's expired and need a new one ASAP (which I can't get anyway as the site is down!) but if it was a new application I should be OK.

I'll try the number someone kindly posted. Hopefully that'll confirm one way or another.

EDIT = Guess what, the number is busy and I just get a message to call back later...
  • luci
    Options
    The website is still down

Seeking advice, we're travelling to USA later this year, one passport is up for renewal in March, should I renew the passport 1st, or make an ESTA application 1st?

The other passport has a 10 year visa issued by the American Embassy, does an ESTA application have to be made for this passport?

I have just accessed the website so it seems to be working now.

You need to renew the passport first as the ESTA expires with the passport.

You can renew the passport before it expires and any unused period up to 9 months will be added to the new one.

If you have a visa then you don't need an ESTA.
  • courtney22
    Options
    i go on thursday and my old esta is still valid - but my mums says up to 72hrs, does it really take this long as been trying since saturday to get onto the site!!
  • luci
    Options
    It can take up to 72 hours, but you usually get a response within 24 hours if it isn't instant.
  • z288171
    Options
    I am travelling to Vegas in March and my ESTA runs out 2 days after my return.

As they stamp you for 3 months access, will I be required to renew my ESTA or will the current one suffice.

Ben.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport