PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Monthly budget will aim for £300 £143.30/£300
    To include all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, cat food and cat litter, non alcoholic drinks.
    NSD will aim for at least 15 8/15

Another NSD day for me :j
    Pipney j, absolutely terrible news about that poor girl in Auckland. Cannot imagine how her parents and family must feel.
    I was watching the news very closely at the weekend too as I was in NZ this time last year visiting family.
    Such a wonderful country. And grocery shopping there was definately interesting. ....lots of supermarkets but all seemed a bit on the scruffy side compared to ours. I found prices slightly higher than ours, especially for fruit and veg, which didn't seem as good quality. My favourite SM was 'pack N save' as they have a free jukebox at the entry so you can request a song to be played as you dander around, needless to say I was dancing around the aisles to the B52s loveshack many a time :rotfl:. Wouldn't that be fun if they did that here :D.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2018 at 11:20PM
    Options
    Hi, hope everyone is good. Had a few more spends - £4.80. Got

5 tubs of tomatoes
    3 large courgettes
    16 sweet potatoes
    Bag frozen spinach
    1kg carrots
    1 bag of brussels

Really pleased with that. I've been eating out a lot (separate budget), as I had a friend over from California. Unfortunately, i've put on 9lbs, (oops), so now I'm intermittent fasting to try n shift it. Still got loads in stores, just want houmous, avocado, lettuce & mushrooms, but that is all for at least a week. Am gonna be in Brixton tomorrow, meant to be a good F&V market 'Oh, we gonna rock down to Electric Avenue', so will check it out, if it's open. Have updated sig. #Maybot #YourDaysRnumbered
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    I have just had a shop delivered from Asda. Mainly for the Chocolate Vegan Torte and Squirty cream; and also for a few presents for my daughters.

Everything just food came to £15.16
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • selloptape
    Options
    Just a small spend today after two NSDs. Hopefully another NSD tomorrow. I've got quite a long drive on Friday which is normally broken up by overdosing on Costa and Krispy Kreme at the services. I'm going to attempt to be a little more organised this time and take snacks with me.
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 December 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Yesterday was a NSD and I was finally able to do some shopping today to re-supply.

€57.22 today at Delhaize for lots of yoghurt (€11 worth), berries (€12), mushrooms, limes, lemons, clementines, an avocado, cheeses, toothpaste, peanuts, trash bags, 2x boxed soup, eggs, wheat bread, 2kg onions to last 'til January, and a chunk of ham to gnaw on for the rest of the week.

TOTAL SO FAR:
    €138.33/€350.00
    7 / 12 NSD

On Friday or Saturday we'll need to get more olive oil, toilet paper, vinegar, peanut butter, and likely eggs. I think we're actually in a good spot now in terms of spending. If we can keep purchases to €200 or €215 by December 23rd, then €135–€150 should be good for our vacation.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Am gonna be in Brixton tomorrow, meant to be a good F&V market 'Oh, we gonna rock down to Electric Avenue', so will check it out, if it's open.

:D It is a good variety. I used to head down there when I lived in London as I was in the area. There's also an Iceland on Brixton Rd very close to the tube station if you need to pick up anything from there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have just had a shop delivered from Asda. Mainly for the Chocolate Vegan Torte and Squirty cream.
    The torte sound nice. They were also launching a vegan cheeseboard for this xmas. Have you tried their own brand soy yoghurts - I haven't, just wondering what they are like.
    :D It is a good variety. I used to head down there when I lived in London as I was in the area. There's also an Iceland on Brixton Rd very close to the tube station if you need to pick up anything from there.
    Thank you very much. I saw the Iceland, though I do have 3 within walking distance, so not a problem, plus I live the opposite side of London. I wasn't too impressed with the veg/clothes market/come random tatt stalls, bit too disorganized for my brain, unfortunately, It's definately changed since you were there. I thought I might find some unusual veggies, but nothing I can't get 'round my way, though I did turn down a street n they had some Vegan Ethiopian street food - I love Ethiopian food. I'm fasting for another week, 'till i've lost this 9lb I put on, but will be there in another 9 days, so hopefully will try it then on a Saturday.

Went into Ald n spent £11.05. Will need toilet rolls. My lodger did buy a pack a few days back - nearly finished. Must have bought them gnomesville, I have never seen such titchy rolls - oh well musn't complain huh, it's the thought that counts n all that. Have updated sig.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £22.89 Between Morries and B&M, got 5 packs reduced stewing beef, that`s beef stew sorted for winter months, pack of reduced bacon chops, a reduced squid and 2 packs of reduced scallops, also picked up some shower gel on offer. Washing up liguid in B&M, dried milk, dishcloths and a bar of chocolate.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Thursday was a NSD and today I returned to Delhaize for a few items.

€11.88 at Delhaize for butter, fish, asparagus, and peanut butter.

TOTAL SO FAR:
    €150.21/€350.00
    8 / 12 NSD

Tomorrow (Saturday) I’ll head to the main organic market to pick up bulk olive oil and drop off our used egg cartons. Also Lidl for toilet paper, like 2 10-packs so we don’t have to think about it until early January. Delhaize has frozen shrimp on sale 2 for 1 that I'll try to scoop up this coming week.
  • Graciefields
    Options
    I have only done one shop so far this month. £48/£125. I could have gone on another couple of days, however, I stupidly didn't put chicken thighs and pork mince in the freezer from last Friday and they are well past their use by date. I had even menu planned for the first time. Really disappointed with myself.
    The pork mince actually looks and smells ok but am not risking it with chicken thighs. They are both in the bin. Going to have to try substitues in cupboards and freezer to prevent me going shopping today.
    Also, don't want to appear silly but how do people manage their bulk fund? I've decided to save up for mine with money I save in the Grocery Challenge. How do you calculate stuff?
    Barclay Card £3600 [STRIKE]HSBC CC £2587[/STRIKE] ZERO
    Total CC Debt [STRIKE][STRIKE][STRIKE]£7755[/STRIKE] [/STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    COLOR="Red"]$[STRIKE]7151[/STRIKE][/COLOR] £6487
    November 2018 GC £25Pw/£100Pm Nov Grocery Challenge £83.56/£100 Dec GC £95.64/£125Jan 2019 GC COLOR="Red"]64.86/£125[/COLOR] Feb GC COLOR="DarkRed£100.43/]£125[/COLOR]March GC OR="Red"]145.00/125[/COLOR]
    April GC £130/£125 Aug GC £72.71/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport