PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CWILS wrote: »
    we were advised to take out a self-cert mortgage for an amount we could afford to repay which has never been an issue repaying and actually worked out well for us
    Not sure why you are contemplating a complaint then?
    the financial adviser explained that in order to take that mortgage the provider would insist that we took MPPI - it therefore was sold to us as compulsory and not an option.
    So what? The PPI would only be mis-sold to you if you were told that it was compulsory if it actually wasn't.
    In our naivety and young age we accepted this and I now realise that we have been paying this ever since (about 17 years).
    Again, so what? You've been covered against redundancy and sickness for each of those 17 years.
    This was just a further lie by the financial advisor and we were mis-sold both the self-cert mortgage and the MPPI.
    Nothing you have said so far indicates that you were in any way mis-sold or lied to.
    I've been searching though and can't find any threads on MPPI.
    There are hundreds
    Would it be treat the same as a PPI claim?
    Yes, but only if you had a valid complaint.
    Seems like I have good grounds
    Not at all
    I wondered if it was classed as the same and had the same deadlines and rules as PPI?
    Like any insurance, if you can show it was mis-sold to you then it will be refunded.
    However,what you seem to think are untruths are facts.
    You even acknowledge that the self cert mortgage;
    actually worked out well for us

So how exactly was it mis-sold to you?:eek:
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I recall that the financial adviser explained that in order to take that mortgage the provider would insist that we took MPPI - it therefore was sold to us as compulsory and not an option. In our naivety and young age we accepted this and I now realise that we have been paying this ever since (about 17 years).

If a broker sold it to you in 2001 then you have no one to complain to anyway as it was pre regulation.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • McAllystar
    Options
    Hi all,
    Not sure if I've posted in the right place so please excuse me if I've got it wrong, and it's long but I'm hoping that someone's has advice on what I should do next.
    I had a store card that I know I was mis sold because at the time of taking it out I remember a long conversation where I explained about my health and time off work in the near future. I was told I would be covered but when the time came to claim they said that I wasn't eligible. I found out that santander handle all ppi claims for debenhams cards so after finding the santander ppi helpline number gave them a call they found my details and said that I would receive a claim form.
    A few days ago I got a letter from santander stating that they are unable to locate my account with the details I gave. But they located it while I was on the phone!!!?
    I gave my correct details they only eventually found it because they had my wrong d.o.b. I don't know the account details because it was back in 95 but I've been at the same address . I'm really at a loss as to what to do next because they're just saying nope, but they obviously do know what I'm talking about.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Send a SAR. That will reveal any details they still hold.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone claimed for MPPI - Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance?

When we took out our mortgage we were advised to take out a self-cert mortgage for an amount we could afford to repay (which has never been an issue repaying and actually worked out well for us to get the house we wanted) but was well above what we should have been allowed to borrow. I recall that the financial adviser explained that in order to take that mortgage the provider would insist that we took MPPI - it therefore was sold to us as compulsory and not an option. In our naivety and young age we accepted this and I now realise that we have been paying this ever since (about 17 years). This was just a further lie by the financial advisor and we were mis-sold both the self-cert mortgage and the MPPI.

I've been searching though and can't find any threads on MPPI. Would it be treat the same as a PPI claim? Seems like I have good grounds but I wondered if it was classed as the same and had the same deadlines and rules as PPI?

CWILS

You would have to admit you committed fraud with a false mortgage application which will get you on any number of lists you really don't want to be on. If the MPPI was compulsory to get the mortgage then it was not miss-sold. Did you pay the financial advisor a fee and were they independent? If you didn't pay a fee and they were independent (not working for say the lender) then they are allowed to make you buy insurance products through them in return for their commission (that pays their bills).

As above, if bought through a financial advisor in 2001 it's pre-regulation so no complaint possible, if bought through a bank staff member you could complain but I somehow doubt you have any evidence that supports your accusations and if the MPPI properly covers you then you won't have much of a complaint
  • Lettie69
    Options
    I am currently approaching all those banks and FS providers that i can think of, but was really surprised that a) I didnt ever have PPI with Santander (having been with them all my life: mortgages, loans, CCs), and that b) Santander told me about a Debenhams storecard they now were responsible for.

So, that got me thinking, what about all the loans etc that I might have had but have forgotten about. I have claimed from the obvious contenders but what about those others? Would a PPI claim service be interested in getting a slice of those? Has anyone done this?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A claims company would love to get a slice of those. That's because you get to do all the work, and they get a chunk of your cash.

If you have complaints to make, just make them yourself. You'll need to provide the same information to the claims company in any case so you may as well pop them in the postbox yourself.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lettie69 wrote: »
    I am currently approaching all those banks and FS providers that i can think of, but was really surprised that a) I didnt ever have PPI with Santander (having been with them all my life: mortgages, loans, CCs), and that b) Santander told me about a Debenhams storecard they now were responsible for.

So, that got me thinking, what about all the loans etc that I might have had but have forgotten about. I have claimed from the obvious contenders but what about those others? Would a PPI claim service be interested in getting a slice of those? Has anyone done this?

Claims firms cannot magic your details out of the air, you have to supply them for the firm to make your complaint. If you have them, you can make a complaint yourself, if you don't, a claims firm won't help.
  • Chrisuk263
    Options
    My wife is currently trying to reclaim PPI from several companies. She’s not used the “Resolver” website, but instead used a company called “Claimeazy”.

However 4 of the companies have come back and said that they need more information.

Now a lot of these claims are from over 10/15 years ago so she doesn’t have any account numbers, only previous names and addresses. Is there any way that she can still move forwards with these claims if she’s sure that she had an account with them or is there nothing else we can do and move on?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If neither she nor the bank have details, then there is nothing more to be done.

The claims company certainly won't be able to help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback