PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Crawley, Haywards Heath, Horsham

Options
Hello everyone
We are currently living in ifield, Crawley and looking to move somewhere nicer to a detached property. We are a couple with a 10 year old who is going to start secondary school next year so its important for the school to be good.

Although we've been in Crawley for 2,5 years, we don't really know the area and we do not like the center. Would like to move but don't know where and unfortunately don't have millions to spend on the property.

Family quiet location and good neighbours are important to us.

Please can you recommend anywhere?

Comments

• nade123
    Options
    Oh im sorry I forgot to mention, I work in burgess hill and my partner in Brighton
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I moved to Horsham from Brighton earlier this year, and I love it. I also considered Crawley and Haywards Heath at the time, but am very pleased with my choice. I also found house prices to be marginally more affordable here than in Haywards Heath, even though (IMO) Horsham is a much nicer place to live.

That said, considering your work, Horsham isn't really a great commute to either of those places. Have you considered Burgess Hill itself? It was on my shortlist, but too far away from the places I needed to get to. I find it a nicer place to wander around than Haywards Heath, and much more commutable to Brighton than Horsham is.
  • Slimslim
    Options
    East Grinstead and the surrounding villages are all good! I'm a born and bred local so may be slightly biased but the two secondary schools were both at a good standard. House prices may be slightly higher in EG than Crawley though.
  • Dark_Star
    Options
    What about anything between Brighton & Haywards Heath with stations? That gives you:

Brighton
    Preston Park
    Hassocks - this is halfway so your best location - try Hurstpierpoint if you're not tied to a train station
    Burgess Hill
    Wivelsfield
    Haywards Heath

Wivesfield station is a bit "nowhere" i.e. not near anything - but a long time since I have been there.

Hassocks is a reasonable little village/town with good schools.
    Burgess Hill has lots of schools & so does Haywards Heath

You couldn't pay me to live in Haywards Heath as I find it too built up...

I think you had to apply for secondary places by the end of October 2019 for start in September 2020 so bear that in mind when looking....

If you're not tied to a train station then look at anything surrounding these places or further out e.g. Wealden which is quite nice & covers lots of little villages & towns.

It can be quiet until Bonfire Night especially if you're around Lewes! Still an improvement on Crawley though:rotfl:

Depends what your budget is & house requirements...2 bedrooms/3 bedrooms? moat/cellar etc? old/new build?

It's all out there but you need to have a drive around to see the areas & decide if you like the look of it.

Some are quite rural = stuck behind a tractor/horse riders etc.

We even get tractors going down the high street of our little nearby towns. Quite normal....:D
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • nade123
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

Our real issue is neighbour noise which I became sensitive too.

We went to see a few properties, however, none of them was as nice as ours and at least 50k more!

Being very honest, we don't want to move out, its our first place, we made it ours, however, had a couple situations where neighbours disturbed our deep sleep with not so gentle conversations that left me temporarily traumatised.

They are very apologetic and embarrassed so im hoping that these situations will not happen, however, can never be sure.

I think we will try and stay where we are, but its good to get other people's opinions on areas (for future)

When it comes to locations, ever Crawley became so expensive, Burgess Hill is cheaper but not so great, Haywards Heath also expensive and so is Horsham.

And yes, Horsham is nice but I think it would be pointless to move that direction and commute again.

Thanks everyone
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nade123 wrote: »
    Being very honest, we don't want to move out, its our first place, we made it ours, however, had a couple situations where neighbours disturbed our deep sleep with not so gentle conversations that left me temporarily traumatised.
    You never row?!

Blimey! :eek:
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • nade123
    nade123 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I understand to some it may sound normal, but not to us.

We don't throw things around at 3 am when we argue - are we not normal?

And living in a new build - walls tremble when it happens, and you wake up with a heart attack not knowing whats going on.

Doesn't happen regularly at all( I must admit) but it just got me last time so much I couldn't sleep or eat for 2 weeks. Am I overreacting?
  • nade123
    Options
    unfortunately I don't find it funny right now.

I love my place, we love our home we just don't want another outburst of whatever it is next door.

Another move (as we only been living there 2,5 years) will not only have an impact on me and my partner but also my daughter who has great friends in the area.

So im weighing everything and wondering if I can live with irregular kicks offs or do I really need to turn our lives upside down just because of the people next door. (by the way the strangest thing is we like them and vice versa)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nade123 wrote: »
    I understand to some it may sound normal, but not to us.

We don't throw things around at 3 am when we argue - are we not normal?

And living in a new build - walls tremble when it happens, and you wake up with a heart attack not knowing whats going on.

Doesn't happen regularly at all( I must admit) but it just got me last time so much I couldn't sleep or eat for 2 weeks. Am I overreacting?
    Obviously that would be a very bad row. But maybe you've been lucky. If you'd found out your OH had cheated, or caught them, or caught them taking drugs, who knows how loud you might shout (at whatever time).

To most of us, it would be a huge overreaction, but, if it's not to you, then surely it just becomes a 'reaction'. You've obviously lived a much calmer, happier life than many to react that way. Can't see how moving can guarantee silence unless you're moving to a remote house/location.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • nade123
    Options
    We definitely prefer a quiet life.

I am sensitive, scared of any type of aggression.

Unfortunately it did scare me and if it made me feel unsafe in my own bedroom, we thought that the extreme way out will be to move out to a detached property (not that we have enough money to do that) just thinking about health.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure