PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Crawley, Haywards Heath, Horsham

Options

Comments

• M_Python
    M_Python Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    nade123 wrote: »
    Doesn't happen regularly at all( I must admit) but it just got me last time so much I couldn't sleep or eat for 2 weeks. Am I overreacting?

Very much so in my opinion!

If you really can't cope with your neighbours' occasional rows, maybe you'll have to think about moving to a much cheaper area so that you can afford a detached house, preferably one with quite a bit of land around it to shelter you from the noise/trauma of real life situations.
  • nade123
    nade123 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

I do think about it at times and tell myself to get over it but it's not easy.

Ive got another issue now because I jump at every noise which wasn't the case before and trust me im frustrated with myself as much as other people probably are reading it.
  • Samsonite1
    Options
    I looked at the same areas and Horsham was easily my favourite. It has good schools and nice, well behaved people, if you like that kind of thing! I worked in Burgess Hill which was a quick drive with no traffic problems and Brighton was about 20-25 minutes. It pays to live within 10 mins of the train station too, which I think works out quite well for school catchment and some of the nicer roads.

Now, I live in London, but consider moving back to Horsham seeing as I tend to work from home these days.
    To err is human, but it is against company policy.
  • nade123
    Options
    If this will make anyone understand it better is that once the neighbour was arrested so its not just shouting and screaming although im not sure if he gets violent against his partner or just throws things in anger.
  • nade123
    Options
    Yes, Horsham is nice we also like Horsham im just not sure if we can afford it.

Just looked at Scaynes Hill
  • Samsonite1
    Options

Always tricky balancing affordability with where you want to be - I always tell myself that even the more affordable places are a massive investment, so I need to like it!

Cowfold in the Horsham district is a nice place with great roads, but no train station (Horsham station is a few miles by car or bus). Not sure what schools are nearby other than the primary school in the village. It does manage to have 2 pubs, a general store, Indian restaurant and Post Office (last time I checked).
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    Horsham used to be a lovely area (it was voted the second best place to live after Winchester a few years ago).

However, that was before the council decided to build thousands ( and I mean thousands!) of houses all over the area, which has totally transformed it. There is also a danger of linking up to Crawley, as even more houses are being built in the strategic gap between the two towns.

We've lived in the area for over forty years and frankly it makes me want to weep when I see what has happened to it and all the surrounding villages. In fact the housing developers advertise some of their estates as "village living"; I suppose that could be true, if you don't mind a "village" the size of a large town. (Anything less like a village would be hard to imagine).:mad:
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • Samsonite1
    Options
    Horsham used to be a lovely area (it was voted the second best place to live after Winchester a few years ago).

However, that was before the council decided to build thousands ( and I mean thousands!) of houses all over the area, which has totally transformed it. There is also a danger of linking up to Crawley, as even more houses are being built in the strategic gap between the two towns.

We've lived in the area for over forty years and frankly it makes me want to weep when I see what has happened to it and all the surrounding villages. In fact the housing developers advertise some of their estates as "village living"; I suppose that could be true, if you don't mind a "village" the size of a large town. (Anything less like a village would be hard to imagine).:mad:

Eek! In that case, Cowfold is probably a better option unless they have filled the countryside for several miles in that direction!

One problem when you have kids is that you sometimes have to compromise a bit more. I found a lovely place in London, near a train station with a 15 min commute to central London. Then I had a kid and realised it was perfect, apart from for schools. I had to move just one mile or so up the road at great expense, which was a bit gutting at the time.
  • Dark_Star
    Options

If you like Scaynes Hill (why - there is nothing useful there!) please do look at Hassocks.

It's small, has good schools & a train station direct trains to Burgess Hill & Brighton. It also has useful shops unlike Scaynes Hill.

Plus Scaynes Hill is on the A272 so there is constant traffic right through it.

Look outwards around Hassocks/Hurstpierpoint if you do not need a station then you may find something more affordable.

Worth a look...
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • nade123
    Options
    I appreciate all the answers and its good to have an opinion from people who actually live/lived in these areas.

Part of me refuses to move because of the occasional noise and my first way of dealing with the whole situation will be trying to get over it and find a way to feel safe in my home again with hope that we wont get a lot of that noise again.

I do have an 'area idea' now thanks to you in case my first plan doesn't work out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure