Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stacey4857
    • By stacey4857 6th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 2Thanks
    stacey4857
    Identity theft
    • 6th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    Identity theft 6th Nov 19 at 10:02 AM
    Iím not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.
    My husband was a victim of identity theft about two years ago, they bought furniture from DFS, applied for other accounts etc. He registered with CIFAS, put a password on his Experian account and all has been fine, until yesterday. I got an alert from Credit Karma to say I had a new search on my file, I had a look and it was an 'associate search' for a TSB current account. He hadnít applied for it so we obviously knew something wasnít right. He called TSB and someone has opened an account using his first name, DOB and address, the funny thing is, is that they used a shortened version of our surname and they put an incorrect amount of time at our address (9 years instead of months) but TSB still opened the account, they also didnít request his Experian password or do any other checks even though he is registered with CIFAS. My question is, is there anything else we can do to try and prevent more accounts etc from being opened? It seems the appropriate checks just arenít being done by lenders/banks which makes me think that we donít stand a chance.
Page 3
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 8th Nov 19, 8:35 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    Only the the year and month of birth is shown.
    Originally posted by Uxb1
    A few years ago it was full date of birth which was also copied to number of sites getting data from Companies House. Also, if there's some old document submitted and available to download, there might be full date of birth. Paper forms had full DOB and if company is old enough to have such scanned forms in its history, it will be available online.

My neighbour submitted paper form to become director and his full DOB is available on this form. It was 2-3 years ago, so not that long ago. I filled the same document in electronic version and my full data is not available in filling history.

OP: go to Companies House and check history of all fillings that were submitted for husband's company. You will see if it's possible to get his DOB from there. Also, all these form will help fraudster to establish old addresses if company was previously registered at home.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,290Users online

Martin's Twitter