We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

getting ready for the BUGS!!!

Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Good for you. The sanctimoniousness of the organic brigade..... blah blah blah blah blah ......willing to face.
    **** me, I must be psychic.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wondered if this was going to turn into a Organic vs chemicals thread :D

A Badger will be along in a minute.

Here, accept this Mystic Meg Memorial Humbug Award with my compliments.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    That they can't leave the rest of us to enjoy the benefits of science tells you more about their underlying control-freakery than most of them are willing to face.

Aw bless. Are you regularly attacked by people who quite like to leave flowers to attract insects then? You poor thing.

Must be hard for you.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    That doesn't stop it. There are various organic methods out there on the net. I find letting wasp nests remain in the garden (oh boy, lets have another massive argument about that shall we :rotfl:), where they don't hurt you, helps, because they eat the caterpillars.

Other than that, picking by hand is the best natural way, but time consuming.

It does for me - as I said, I do this each year and have never had it.

My neighbour gets it each year - hers is more a hedge than a bowl and hers gets stripped like billy-o overnight.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Aw bless. Are you regularly attacked by people who quite like to leave flowers to attract insects then? You poor thing.

Must be hard for you.

No, I'm attacked by idiotic MEPs - most of whom are in the pockets of either the big two chemical companies, or the equally venal 'Green' lobby - who wouldn't know a rose from a radish, deciding what I may, or may not, use in my garden.

How about a deal? I won't tell you how you should live your life, and you return the compliment?

It's telling how often that comes across as a revolutionary concept.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    No, I'm attacked by idiotic MEPs - most of whom are in the pockets of either the big two chemical companies, or the equally venal 'Green' lobby - who wouldn't know a rose from a radish, deciding what I may, or may not, use in my garden.

How about a deal? I won't tell you how you should live your life, and you return the compliment?

It's telling how often that comes across as a revolutionary concept.

Sorry - I thought you said
    they can't leave the rest of us to enjoy the benefits of science tells you more about their underlying control-freakery than most of them are willing to face
    and thought you meant that you were chased down the street by pea stick wielding sandal wearing 'medieval peasants' but you are talking about MEPs....most of whom 'medieval peasants' wouldn't trust as far as they could throw them.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Sorry - I thought you said and thought you meant that you were chased down the street by pea stick wielding sandal wearing 'medieval peasants' but you are talking about MEPs....most of whom 'medieval peasants' wouldn't trust as far as they could throw them.

That was an impenetrably confused response.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what pecticides will the chemical brigade be using? There is hardly anything available these days and even derris has gone. You just may have to bite the bullet and join us non-pesticide peasants. I bet you are using cabbage collars for starters, one step at a time if you are too scared to let go!
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Diatomaceous earth is supposed to be good for sawfly as well as the ahphids etc. we already have it for red mite/worms on the chooks and fleas/worms/mites on the cat, it is safe for humans too so an all around winner. the only problem is it works best when dry. But most of the buggies aren't too keen on lots of rain anyway.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    what pecticides will the chemical brigade be using? There is hardly anything available these days and even derris has gone. You just may have to bite the bullet and join us non-pesticide peasants. I bet you are using cabbage collars for starters, one step at a time if you are too scared to let go!

Shed full of bifenthrin....which was on sale at amazingly low prices last year. It will be more effective now it's been removed from sale. ;-)

Don't get confused into thinking these chemicals have been banned for being nasty. We have just got stuck with an overzealous regulatory body who has made registering chemicals such a costly process that it's not worth doing unless you have a patent on the chemical being registered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport