We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need work advice

Options

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your on a hiding to nothing re both the work situation and your attitude here.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 1:06PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    How serious was the data breach and what are they planning to do about it?
    Do you need more training about data protection? If so maybe be pro-active in having that conversation with your employer so that when it's done you can go back on the phones again.

I had several data breaches, when I say 'several', I mean five because wasn't following correct company procedure. I read the notes of the calls reviewed and noticed my manager was to blame for one of them, as he gave me the wrong advice to give to a customer.

My Team Manager said I was at risk at being disiplicined, but they need to review everything before they decide what to do with me. I hope they don't disiplicine me because I have my own flat.

However, I can't do nothing about that if they do come to that decision.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh dear.
    I would suggest that disciplinary is a real possibility that you should be prepared for.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was your colleague given the responsibility of organising and confirming overtime by your manager?

If so, and if your colleague subsequently confirmed that you should come in, only for you to be told to go home after you'd already spent time and money (?) getting to work, then you've got grounds for complaint imo.

However, whether it'll do you any good in the long run to complain about what seems a relatively minor issue is up for debate. I'm all for people standing by their rights in the workplace, but equally when you get an opportunity to show your manager you're willing to overlook a mistake or two and get on with the job, doing so can be a fruitful investment.
  • System
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    Was your colleague given the responsibility of organising and confirming overtime by your manager?

If so, and if your colleague subsequently confirmed that you should come in, only for you to be told to go home after you'd already spent time and money (?) getting to work, then you've got grounds for complaint imo.

However, whether it'll do you any good in the long run to complain about what seems a relatively minor issue is up for debate. I'm all for people standing by their rights in the workplace, but equally when you get an opportunity to show your manager you're willing to overlook a mistake or two and get on with the job, doing so can be a fruitful investment.

Yes he was given the responsibility of organising overtime and confirming it to my manager. I spent £13 in a bus ticket to work today; money that I won't see again thanks for what happened today.

I agree.
  • System
    Options
    Oh dear.
    I would suggest that disciplinary is a real possibility that you should be prepared for.

I've got nobody else to blame for that, but myself and accept that. :(:(:(
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    a4ron wrote: »
    I've got nobody else to blame for that, but myself and accept that. :(:(:(

When I say prepare for, I mean get a hold of the procedure then have a good think about why the breaches happened, and any mitigating circumstances that *may* help your case alongside profuse apologies and an acceptance of any mistakes made without any attitude thrown in.
    If it comes to that, which is yet to be decided. Are you in a union?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • System
    Options
    When I say prepare for, I mean get a hold of the procedure then have a good think about why the breaches happened, and any mitigating circumstances that *may* help your case alongside profuse apologies and an acceptance of any mistakes made without any attitude thrown in.
    If it comes to that, which is yet to be decided. Are you in a union?

Thank you, no I'm not but have contemplated about joining Unite the Union to see if they can fight my corner as well as myself.

I know not to tell work that I have joined a Union because that would affect my worklife even further.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    a4ron wrote: »
    Thank you, no I'm not but have contemplated about joining Unite the Union to see if they can fight my corner as well as myself.

I know not to tell work that I have joined a Union because that would affect my worklife even further.
    Please don't. We can't bear experts who know more than we do. And we don't represent new members anyway.

Unison is a nice union. GMB are lovely people. Community is good. If you check with the TUC there's a list of all unions.... Please join one of the others.
  • System
    edited 14 October 2018 at 8:23PM
    Options
    I'm becoming increasingly concerned that am not going to have a job if the result comes to disiplicinary because of my actions, which means I wouldn't be able to pay for my flat :(.

I have spoken to my manager on how am feeling and he just said: "I'm quite worried about that too" but I don't have much faith because he could be just be saying that for effect.

There are moments where you need to start looking for another job which am doing now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport