Strong Customer Authentication - **Now delayed** changes to online verification

Options

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been researching ways around not having a mobile phone, and have come up with a Plan B.

As far as I understand it, mobile broadband USB dongles come with a sim card, so they can receive text messages, including the verification codes. As far as I can see the only provider selling dongles is O2, for £49.99. It comes with 12GB of data, which will last for up to a year. I assume that if I were to give the sim card phone number to the bank as my mobile number, and don't tell them it's a dongle, this could be a reasonable workaround...

This "workaround" is more expensive and more trouble than getting a cheap pay-as-you go" mobile phone.
  • spot1034
    spot1034 Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nicholas wrote: »
    There are still a few banks that don't insist on a landline or mobile phone. Indeed Nationwide and Nat West will let you use a card reader, HSBC group and Yorkshire Bank one of their security tokens.

I think the banks recognise that most people do have a smart phone these days for other things so they are utilising it for banking security.

I guess the answer is to change to one of the banks that don't insist on having a mobile (or landline) and do your banking there.:) Or don't bother with online banking at all - after all, we never had it 25 years ago. I do mean this in the nicest possible way.:) There are still choices, albeit limited choices.

Yes that's what I'm going to do, and I'm able to use a landline by the way. I'm more just joining in the conversation now rather than moaning about my personal situation as there is a solution which I will take up. However I'm still curious as to why some banks find it impossible to send authorisation to a landline rather than a mobile phone. What is the problem with this? Given that landlines tend to be somewhat more reliable, why are some banks refusing to offer them as an alternative?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    spot1034 wrote: »
    However I'm still curious as to why some banks find it impossible to send authorisation to a landline rather than a mobile phone. What is the problem with this? Given that landlines tend to be somewhat more reliable, why are some banks refusing to offer them as an alternative?
    It's not that they find it impossible, it's just that they're choosing not to do so, i.e. it's a commercial decision not a technology one.
  • lightbulb2760
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    This "workaround" is more expensive and more trouble than getting a cheap pay-as-you go" mobile phone.

Yes, it may be more expensive, but I don't see how it would be more trouble. Surely you simply plug it into the computer to receive the text message?

The reason I don't want a mobile phone is because I object to receiving unsolicited text messages from spammers. To me, a phone is a device for making and receiving telephone calls, and nothing else. I have a computer for emails and everything else that a (smart) mobile phone can do.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, it may be more expensive, but I don't see how it would be more trouble. Surely you simply plug it into the computer to receive the text message?

The reason I don't want a mobile phone is because I object to receiving unsolicited text messages from spammers. To me, a phone is a device for making and receiving telephone calls, and nothing else. I have a computer for emails and everything else that a (smart) mobile phone can do.

What makes you think your dongle will be immune from these spam messages?

Your idea isn’t really that good, it’ll cost more to buy, require more knowledge to use, and be more likely to go wrong than just buying a cheap PAYG phone and exclusively using that for banking and nothing else.
    ====
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spot1034 wrote: »
    In my case, and I'm sure there are many others in a similar situation, it isn't that I object to any additional security checks that are deemed necessary, but that the execution of these involves me using a device that I do not possess - i.e. a mobile phone.
    It doesn't, unless you choose to use a bank who offers mobile communication of the OTP only. I believe the only one doing this is Santader, and it's been in their T&Cs for at least 8 years that you need a mobile to operate the account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The reason I don't want a mobile phone is because I object to receiving unsolicited text messages from spammers.
    I have had a mobile, with the same number, since the early 1990s. Never received unsolicited texts from spammers.
    I have a computer for emails and everything else that a (smart) mobile phone can do.
    WOW. That sounds a clever computer. Where did you get if from, what OS is it running? Just as examples, how does it track your steps, how do you take photos with it, how does it receive text messages, how does it store your train and other tickets, how does it call an Uber for you, how do you pay with it at checkouts, how do you use the flashlight on it, how do you scan QR codes with it, how does it find public conveniences for you when you need one in a strange city, and how do you fit it into your pocket? I appreciate that you might not be interested in any of these things but please don't make claims about matters you clearly don't understand.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't this the real story:

1 Banks look at online possibilities and realise there could be big cost savings - so they make it as easy as possible for customers to bank online. They accept the fraud costs as part of the equation.

2 Customers switch, banks close huge numbers of branches, leaving branches remaining only in large towns and cities - naturally, the banks blame customers for not using the branches now they bank online.

3 Having now a captive market, with large numbers of people unable to get anywhere near a branch, the banks tighten up security because those online customers now have no other options.

Great news for our friendly and caring banks all round.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Isn't this the real story

stuff...

No, not really.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    Options
    I've been researching ways around not having a mobile phone, and have come up with a Plan B.

As far as I understand it, mobile broadband USB dongles come with a sim card, so they can receive text messages, including the verification codes. As far as I can see the only provider selling dongles is O2, for £49.99. It comes with 12GB of data, which will last for up to a year. I assume that if I were to give the sim card phone number to the bank as my mobile number, and don't tell them it's a dongle, this could be a reasonable workaround...

You can get a basic phone for free with a £10 PAYG top-up from some providers.

If you never give your mobile number to anyone other than the bank it is *very* unlikely to recieve text messages from "spammers" (I've never had a single one in my life, and several companies have my mobile number).

Also if the only thing you ever use the mobile for is online banking authentications and so you just leave it on the desk next ot the computer, why would it matter if someone texted it when you weren't there?

Also 2 - If your computer dongle was capable or receiving text messages from your bank, it would be equally capable of receiving text messages from spammers.

Your plan make literally *no* sense whatsoever. But if you like wasting money, go ahead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback