PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New challenge for everyone hoarding for the five thousand

Options
So, it's finally got to the stage of ridiculous. I have about enough food to last for three months in the cupboard, and it's just totally unnecessary, and it's taking up spare space in our cupboard. Like, not even the kitchen cupboard - the one in the lounge :o I remember the first time I put food in there... it was only a couple of tins of tomatoes from Lidl, and that was when we had a lodger and therefore one less cupboard in the kitchen. Now it's a full shelf, all crammed in, and about to encroach on the next if I'm not careful.

It never gets to the stage where things go to waste... at least, not yet, but if I keep this up and don't stop myself now, it will. So I'm challenging myself to buy only fruit and veg (plus maybe one or two other essentials, if strictly necessary!) until we've eaten our way through this stupid surplus.

I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one in here that does this, and I'm just as certain that there will be other people here with the same problem. Any of you want to join me for moral support?

Comments

• chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its funny how things accumulate isn't it? I am just the same. My sister called in and peered inside one of my kitchen cupboards. She asked if I was expecting a seige! Mind you, she is from the opposite school of though. Her kitchen cupboards are like the fridge in Bridget Jones... a crust of bread, a tin of chick peas from 1996 and a face pack in the fridge :rotfl:

So I can't blame it on our upbringing as we both had the same experiences.

Tomorrow I will go through the freezer and make a list of what is in there so I can do some meal planning. It badly needs defrosting too so if I use up the contents that will be even better.

My cupboards aren't too bad at the moment as I had a new kitchen fitted in May so that forced me to throw out loads of stuff before we ripped out the old one.

Good luck!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • crossleydd42
    Options
    The fridge/freezer is our downfall. We always call it 'The Forget Box'!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I admit to having a siege mentality when it comes to food...my tin cupboard is full, freezer full, I have 2 packs of 9 loo rolls in the loft!!

I need help!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think with me, it's partly genetic. I'm better than my mum, but only just :)

You'd think if you looked at my cupboards that I was expecting a siege, or to be snowed in... or maybe another petrol strike!

I'm hoping that I can manage to go on with only buying fruit and veg for the rest of September. Might take a bit of creative thinking, but that's not a bad thing, is it? ;)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My cupboards are crammed - but I have a good excuse :D

I was sent lots of loverly vouchers that had to be used up straight away, so I hit Tesco and Asda in a big way and bought lots of non perishables. Well, it was money saving after all. Now, like you lot, I must start eating what I have :)
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    My cupboards are crammed too - and the overspill (tins) is in the garage :eek:

Mind you, I only go to the supermarket once every three months, so that's me done until December :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I realised I was at this point at the start of the summer holidays. I decided to use up most of the stuff and use the money saved to do holiday activities with my daughter. It was great as we saved loads and were able to do some nice things. I also haven't found I had to do a costly re-stock as these things accumulate gradually.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • stellagypsy
    Options
    I found that much stuff when I did my kitchen out that I have been storing it in the garage!! I have been bringing in bags full at a time to use up, it is back to manageble proprtions now. Don't think I've bought a tin since June!!

I mean, how much rice pudding and baked beans can one family eat?????

Stella xx
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My cupboards, fridge and freezer are like a desert waste-land. I ran everything down before we went away for the summer and since then I have only bought what we needed for the three week meal plan I devised especially to limit the amount of store cupboard ingredients I need. It's very satisfying to know you do not have money sitting in cupboards going out of date when it could be earning 5% interest but is a bit unsettling to have so little food in the house until you get used to it.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those of you feeling challenged by the contents of your cupboards - guess what?

:)

We have a store cupboard challenge and the thread is brim full of ideas for using up odd combinations of things...

Store Cupboard Challenge

It's only twenty pages long so it shouldn't take you too long to read :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport