PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New challenge for everyone hoarding for the five thousand

Options
2»

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think i have the opposite to other old stylers.I dont have vast amounts of food items but i have accumulated a stack of toiletries,wipes from boots.I have around 3 year supply of showere gels and mostly for coppers if not free.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm sounds as though you have the same problem as me ashmit ;)

Once I get around to sorting out a delivery of meat/poultry for the freezer next week the only things I should really need to buy over the next couple of months will be milk, butter, cheese, fruit and veg etc. I've got all manner of pastas, rices, noodles, pulses, tinned stuff etc to keep me going, and I make my own bread/cakes/biscuits and yoghurts, but you can guarantee I won't stick to just buying those things, especially if I spot any special offers ;):o

Maybe it's time to hit the storecupboard challenge again, as Squeaky suggested, and work my way through some of this mountain of food I've stockpiled :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My problem isn't so much not knowing what to do with it... I'm pretty creative with food, and have no problems normally making meals out of next to nothing. It's just that I'm incapable of stocking up every time I go into Asda or Lidl and if I don't have people watching me here, I'm never going to stop.

MATH, you shall henceforth be my hero :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    My cupboards, fridge and freezer are like a desert waste-land. I ran everything down before we went away for the summer and since then I have only bought what we needed for the three week meal plan I devised especially to limit the amount of store cupboard ingredients I need. It's very satisfying to know you do not have money sitting in cupboards going out of date when it could be earning 5% interest but is a bit unsettling to have so little food in the house until you get used to it.

Oooooh just the thought of that is enough to send me into a panic attack :eek: :eek: :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• 1sttimer_2
    Options
    I think my storecupboards are more on the scale of a supermarket! I have everything in there and in their quantities - got to make use of the BOGOF'S! :D

My dear late MIL was like MATH, her excuse was that she shopped everyday so she only bought what she needed for the next day. Only problem was that if we called in unexpectedly she always would offer you something and do without herself - which I thought was crazy and never wanted it - therefore I hurt her feelings. It was a no win situation :confused:

My mum was the opposite, we had loads in cos we had visitors at almost any time and she was always prepared (she had a large family), so I think I must take after her. Still OH says we need to cut down as I still cook for 4 when there is only 2 of us and the bills remain the same as a full household :o

I'll be reading the storecupboard challenge and see what recipes I can come up with!
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • Sweet_Pea_2
    Options
    I always had a bit of a problem with the storecupboard challenge because I thought, if I spend the next few weeks eating whats in the cupboards and freezers until they are empty I will save loads of money. BUT I will then need to restock the aforementioned cupboards and freezers with more food and I will spend loads of money, so wheres the sense in that?
    From the above posts Ive deduced that Im not really a hoarder, I have just enough and a bit spare.
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    Options
    I am definitely a Food Security Freak and always have full cupboards I simply cannot abide hand to mouth existence as well stocked cupboards provides a buffer zone of tasty deliciousness to get you through the dry times.
    It drives me made (bloody tins I have to throw away) makes me frustrated, but the security provided is good.
    :beer:
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I didn't have a store cupboard and in the last few weeks I have actually built it up to the point where I don't seem to have spent much money but my fridge, freezer and cupboard is full.
    I explained this to my husband baffled this evening as I always make menu plans and we can only just afford to feed ourselves so how did I have a store?
    He then reminded me that we only have a very small kitchen and so what we have in is enough to feed us for 3-4 weeks until payday and then they will be empty again! So at the beginning of the month I have stores and at the end I dont ;) we may have the odd tin of beans/pack of custard etc but not stashes of stuff. We just don't have the space for it. Also we find, when it's in the house, we eat it!!

I do like it when i get to the end of the month and have to come up with odd dinner ideas or i will try and make an extra week out of what we have. I think I actually enjoy having empty cupboards which is really odd but my husband is the same and neither of our parents is like that!

The upside being that we rarely throw anything away either.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just watched Extreme Couponing (USA) on You tube . I doubt any of you have any worries . One woman had over 400 kitchen towel . Was a little envious though , $700 shopping for $40 ! Where are our coupons ?
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1sttimer wrote: »
    I think my storecupboards are more on the scale of a supermarket! I have everything in there and in their quantities - got to make use of the BOGOF'S! :D

My dear late MIL was like MATH, her excuse was that she shopped everyday so she only bought what she needed for the next day. Only problem was that if we called in unexpectedly she always would offer you something and do without herself - which I thought was crazy and never wanted it - therefore I hurt her feelings. It was a no win situation :confused:

My mum was the opposite, we had loads in cos we had visitors at almost any time and she was always prepared (she had a large family), so I think I must take after her. Still OH says we need to cut down as I still cook for 4 when there is only 2 of us and the bills remain the same as a full household :o

I'll be reading the storecupboard challenge and see what recipes I can come up with!

False ;)
    Often BOGOF items are still more expensive then stores own or value brand, which are generally just as good!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure