NEWS: Gambling on credit cards to be banned

Comments

• I don't know why people are being so secretive about workarounds.

You can take money out at a cash machine

You can arrange a money transfer to your account

You can buy goods on a CC and then sell them for cash

etc etc

It might stop impulse gambling but it won't stop someone who has an addiction.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    I don't know why people are being so secretive about workarounds.

etc etc

Of course there are workarounds.
    But let's say that a thread was to appear which read 'I have a gambling addiction. I used to use my credit card to get into debt gabling but now I can't use it any more and can only spend the money I have. What can I do to get money from my credit card. Help please.'
    How would you respond?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 January 2020 at 8:38PM
    I don't agree. Some people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from a gambling addiction, will be thankful for the changes, as it makes it more difficult to gamble with money they don't actually have. It means they have to work just a little bit harder...if they are to continue gambling with abandon...

@camelot1971 - If you are a responsible adult who empathises with people who have a gambling addiction, then you would delete your post. As otherwise you are potentially helping someone to feed their habit...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 January 2020 at 8:52PM
    I don't know why people are being so secretive about workarounds.

Can you do any of them online?

In reality the ban has a greater effect on online gambling. NOT high street.

When you have spoken to someone who's partner has just killed themselves because they had been found out with debts so big that they were going to lose not only their house but also their business as well.
    Then you will understand why.
    Life in the slow lane
  • I don't know why people are being so secretive about workarounds.

etc etc

You raised some good points but I welcome the change.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 January 2020 at 10:27PM
    I beg your pardon? At no point have I said or even implied such. Ridiculous comment.
    I said gambling on a CREDIT CARD was stupid. Which it is.

That's what a moral defect is - knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway, because there is something wrong with your decision making process.
  • So I have bipolar which sadly brings along alot of habits with it and a very addictive personality! I have given up alcohol for almost 4 years but one addiction I was yet to get on top of until last year was gambling! For people who havent battled these demons, addiction is a mental health issue and often goes hand in hand with other mental health conditions! The point being missed is people are VUNERABLE!
    Anyway, I spent alot on credit cards gambling and I am paying my debt back, bit by bit, but I will get there. Does anyone think there will be claims against these lenders going forward to return the enormous charges placed on these vulnerable gamblers? Just a thought really.

Thanks
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    Of course there are workarounds.
    But let's say that a thread was to appear which read 'I have a gambling addiction. I used to use my credit card to get into debt gabling but now I can't use it any more and can only spend the money I have. What can I do to get money from my credit card. Help please.'
    How would you respond?

I wouldn't respond at all. Why are you assuming that someone with a gambling addiction doesn't have the ability to work out a solution? That's a bit insulting to their intelligence isn't it?

I think it's good to talk about ways to bypass the intent in legislation because it forces government to rethink or address gaps if enough people talk about it. It would be different if I or others were talking about illegal activities, but all those actions are perfectly legitimate and I expect people have used them to service debt or some other expense when they need to.
  • born_again wrote: »
    Can you do any of them online?

In reality the ban has a greater effect on online gambling. NOT high street.

When you have spoken to someone who's partner has just killed themselves because they had been found out with debts so big that they were going to lose not only their house but also their business as well.
    Then you will understand why.

Sorry, understand what exactly? While that situation is tragic, addicts will find a way to feed their addiction. I absolutely agree with the proposal, but it doesn't address the underlying issue with someone who is addicted to gambling. I would be quite happy to see the entire gambling sector closed down to be honest.
  • So, (at the risk of going off topic) why isn't smoking banned?
    There is no single good reason to "allow" the public to smoke. Everyone knows it's only bad for you.

It should be, but it makes too much money for too many people, and the treasury.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure