Forum Home» Credit Cards

NEWS: Gambling on credit cards to be banned - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NEWS: Gambling on credit cards to be banned

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
33 replies 1.4K views

Replies

• FingerbobsFingerbobs Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    A complete ban on gambling advertising in line with the ban on tobacco advertising would be a very positive step.
    Totally agree 100%.
    There is far too much gambling advertising, particularly on TV.
  • edited 14 January at 11:52AM
    MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January at 11:52AM
    Personally not a fan of govermental hand holding.

Me either. However, for some it is necessary.
    This is about people who CHOOSE to gamble on credit.

In respect of addiction, which I assume this change is primarily aimed at, 'choice' is not what it is for you and I.
  • newatcnewatc Forumite
    631 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I am a lifetime gambler but have never used a credit card for deposits. I fully support the move though think the exception for "good cause" lotteries is hypocritical.
  • Paully28Paully28 Forumite
    244 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    newatc wrote: »
    I am a lifetime gambler but have never used a credit card for deposits. I fully support the move though think the exception for "good cause" lotteries is hypocritical.
    I must admit that I find that bizarre as the national lottery could be just as addictive, and easy to rack up massive debts as with other forms of gambling.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    4.1K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally not a fan of govermental hand holding. If somebody is so stupid that they want to gamble on a credit card then they should be allowed to. I don't like pandering to rank idiocy.

To be exact it is the Gambling Commission and other parties that have said this is needed.

Well when the gambling industry won't do anything... We have to rely on the powers to act and save people from their own evils.

I've seem far too many cases which have destroyed families & even worse lives.

Gambling companies pay lip service to stopping hardened gamblers. Still allowing people to gamble thousands, but have no idea have how much they earn....

Banks got shot down for just the same.

Sometimes people need to be saved from themselves. If that means a nanny state in som e cases. Then so be it.:T
    Family is for life not just Christmas
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ErgatesErgates Forumite
    870 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Personally not a fan of govermental hand holding. If somebody is so stupid that they want to gamble on a credit card then they should be allowed to. I don't like pandering to rank idiocy.

I don't gamble other than buying the odd scratch card ( a few a year tops) and then only when I am feeling flush, not when I need money.

Aside from the "gambling is a moral defect" aspect of your argument - which other users have addressed, the major flaw in this line of reasoning is that it isn't just the gamblers who are impacted by their addiction. Whole families can be led into financial ruin by addicts gambling on credit. Regardless of your opinion of the gamblers themselves, do their children really deserve to live in poverty?
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    487 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Ergates wrote: »
    Aside from the "gambling is a moral defect" aspect of your argument
    I beg your pardon? At no point have I said or even implied such. Ridiculous comment.
    I said gambling on a CREDIT CARD was stupid. Which it is.
  • venisonvenison Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long overdue of course, but surprised they omitted the lottery which after all is gambling.

But gamblers will of course find obvious ways around this one.
    Boycott the right wing press !
  • LetsHope3LetsHope3 Forumite
    2 posts
    Some very easy work arounds which I wont mention. But overall good news.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    4.1K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    venison wrote: »
    Long overdue of course, but surprised they omitted the lottery which after all is gambling.

But gamblers will of course find obvious ways around this one.

When it 1st started you could not use a credit card for lottery purchases.

As to getting round the block. I can see at least one already. Unless some 3rd party debit cards are going to block the use.
    Family is for life not just Christmas