Hoover Tumble Dryer melting clothes

Options
Hi all,
we bought a Hoover VTC590B Reverse Action. Solid Door tumble dryer in Sept 2019. It immediately began to melt holes in various items of clothing. We reported this to the seller Nov 2019 who said that we were using in incorrectly and to turn the heat onto its lowest and not overfill the machine (which we weren't)

We followed these instructions but it continued to melt certain items - fleeces and dressing gowns, but also a lightweight duvet with a cotton exterior which it had melted from the inside and we could no longer tumble dry these items.

We took the machine back in before Christmas Dec 2019 and complained, they said they'd test it but took several weeks by which time we'd bought another one. They said they found nothing wrong but would get a Hoover engineer to inspect it.

The Hoover engineer also says there's nothing wrong with it, we're putting the 'wrong clothes' in it - both dressing gowns have tumble dryer safe logos on them (M&S and Tesco so not cheapies)

I've taken advice from Trading Standards and now have to have an independent inspection done on it etc etc. It's all going to get very fiddly and is almost not worth pursuing, if two inspectors have found nothing wrong with the machine and yet the clothing is melted, are there faults that don't show up? The new tumble dryer is just like all my old previous ones - excellent incl dressing gowns and fleeces.

The seller says he'll sell the item in his shop and give us the proceeds!!!!!! I consider it dangerous.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 6:32PM
    Options
    Woolington wrote: »
    The seller says he'll sell the item in his shop and give us the proceeds!!!!!! I consider it dangerous.
    Any thoughts?
    Your personal opinion bears little weight against the expert opinions which have so far deemed the product without fault. They are clearly saying it is user error.
    I think you might be wise to accept the seller's offer (or try to sell it yourself) if you want to maximise any return you get on this, although you are certainly within your rights to pay for additional independent inspections.

Have you been putting the same clothes in your new dryer (on a similar setting) without them "melting"?
  • Woolington
    Woolington Posts: 126 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2020 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Have you been putting the same clothes in your new dryer (on a similar setting) without them "melting"? yes! not only are they nicely dried but they're fluffy and soft - the old one didn't do this.

I consider it dangerous.

I used to have to set the alarm on my phone to keep checking it hadn't got too hot. It also used to turn itself on in the night time. I'd hate to think of somebody else having it in their home.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd hate to think of somebody else having it in their home.
    So pay for the two independent inspections (as advised by Trading Standards) and hope they agree with you.

(and please learn how to use the "quote"function)
  • Woolington
    Options
    Blimey! that's a rather rude response! I'll leave the thread up in case anybody else has trouble with this particular model.

Believe me, I was only tumbling a very few items in the end, including the tumble dryer friendly dressing gowns - same melting - not burning or scorching, melting as though you'd left an iron on them for too long.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Believe me, I was only tumbling a very few items in the end, including the tumble dryer friendly dressing gowns - same melting - not burning or scorching, melting as though you'd left an iron on them for too long.
    So, as I said, pay for the two additional independent inspections.
    I don't see how this is "rude"?
    Blunt perhaps?
    (But do please learn how to use the "quote" function, you've been a user here for several years already)
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lightweight duvet with a cotton exterior which it had melted from the inside

What difference does a cotton exterior make if the inside is not tumble dry-able....

12 programs on a dryer.... No bad reviews on model.
    Ours has High & low heat and a timer. Works a treat.

If seller & 2 independent people have checked it and found no fault. Then you only have limited options. Bin it or sell it.... But if you feel its dangerous. Do you want that on your mind.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I believe you.
    I have had enough of these stupid dangerous machines.
    I have got rid.
    I Now dry on a clothes airer, well ventilated of course.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I Now dry on a clothes airer, well ventilated of course.
    I use a clothes line in the garden... :p
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does sound wrong that a modern machine with a humidity detector set on low temperature would get hot enough and dry enough to melt plastics.

Think in your position I'd take up the supplier's offer and cut your losses.
  • Carltonbp
    Options
    I have a hoover integrated heat pump (it's not yet got a kitchen door on it) and it's fine. I put everything in as I have a small house, straight from washing machine to dryer. I think the programme names are not very good though, synthetics is actually for delicates, whites is for cotton. I assume darks sits between these two in terms of temp which I use for things like jumpers, tops (I don't have woollen ones). I assume the cotton one is the hottest and I have had the odd synthetic item sneak in and no melting at all. My Dad has a hoover condenser about 2 years old and again no melting. Both have sensors so that it turns off before the timer runs it's course if already dry. I don't see how melting can be the op's fault. But it sounds like Hoover/retailer are digging their heels in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure