Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 26th Nov 19, 4:28 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 195Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey?
    • 26th Nov 19, 4:28 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey? 26th Nov 19 at 4:28 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My partner and I took a sleeper train to Scotland recently, a 12-hour journey which was delayed by 90 minutes. Under Delay Repay rules that entitles us to full compensation for a single fare - £300 for two people. Yet for an overnight journey the delay wasn't massive, plus we enjoyed the trip - it feels unfair to pay nothing. Should we claim?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 26th Nov 19, 4:44 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 26th Nov 19, 4:44 PM
    • 26th Nov 19, 4:44 PM
    Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Not claiming isn't fraud or depriving anyone else of anything so no MORAL dilemma.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 26th Nov 19, 4:51 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 26th Nov 19, 4:51 PM
    • 26th Nov 19, 4:51 PM
    I think I would claim, because the compensation paid will be tracked an ultimately this will form the business case for further investment in the rail infrastructure. You can always spend the money on taking another trip with the same operator.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • pkempc
    • By pkempc 26th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    pkempc
    • 26th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    • 26th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    Yes claim and then donate the money to charity. Wyatt Wendells is currently cycling around the UK to raise money and awareness for MIND. Thanks.
    Assume 1st Ė then check the facts!
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 26th Nov 19, 8:01 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 26th Nov 19, 8:01 PM
    • 26th Nov 19, 8:01 PM
    The Railway Benefit Fund would be another option if you want to donate the compensation to a charity: https://www.railwaybenefitfund.org.uk/
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • pelir
    • By pelir 26th Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    pelir
    • 26th Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    If you don't want the money then the train operator will keep it
    • 26th Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    Be aware that the railway operator, Caledonian Sleepers, will claim and get a refund on your behalf from Network Rail, regardless whether or not you claim what you are entitled to.
    So will you leave the money with them or use it as you wish?
    • FloraandFauna
    • By FloraandFauna 26th Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    FloraandFauna
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    Yes, I would. Compensation is for two reasons - one is to provide you with the service you should have had or your money back, and the other is to make sure train companies have every financial reason to make trains run on time.

If there weren't penalties - and/or a substantial amount of those penalties were not claimed - the operator has less incentive to improve as they are keeping the money regardless.
    Mortgage Sept 2018: £151,000 ending Oct 2038, Mortgage August 2019: £143,597 ending July 2038
    • martin.cat
    • By martin.cat 26th Nov 19, 9:12 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    martin.cat
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:12 PM
    100% claim back
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:12 PM
    100% claim it back
    Network Rail have to compensate the train companies for infrastructure delays
    If you donít claim back that money it is added to the train companies bottom line.
    For me this is morally wrong and the train companies shouldnít be profiting. The money should be reinvested to make the railway better
    • scgf
    • By scgf 26th Nov 19, 9:24 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    scgf
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:24 PM
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:24 PM
    No. Absoutely not. It's about doing what you feel is morally right. I certainly wouldn't be claiming. It's not about the company and what they would do, think etc., it's about your actions. You work according to your own moral compass.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 26th Nov 19, 9:50 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    REJP
    Train delay
    Did the delay cost you any business or lose you money? If so, claim.
    If not, remember that you were not the only people on the train, and all might claim the £300.
    That is a lot of money in delay payments.
    Now, where do you think the money to pay delay claims comes from? Yes, increased fares all round. So you may gain in the short term but lose out by paying higher fares for different future journeys.
    Personally, I would not claim if not inconvenienced.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 26th Nov 19, 10:01 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    REJP
    Train delay
    The comment that Caledonian Sleepers will get the money from Network Rail is only correct if the rail infrastructure was faulty. If the delay was due to late crew arrivals or engine problems, that is nothing to do with Network Rail. There is not enough information to tell what the delay was caused by.
    Remember that in the end whoever pays, costs of compensation come from increasing fares.
    The original poster did not state there was inconvenience, rather it was said the journey was enjoyable.
    • SteveB69
    • By SteveB69 26th Nov 19, 11:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SteveB69
    Don't complain
    As others have said it's about your actions. You got to your destination all good in the end as you stated.
    We have become a country of moaners, I'm sure the rail company didn't purposly delay your journey.

Good question though & you come over as a decent person for asking it.
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 26th Nov 19, 11:58 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    happyc84
    Once did an Amtrak journey from Chicago to Seattle - 37 hours train was 6 hours late. No compo - just more time on an amazing route.

So it depends, I've claimed between London and Glasgow before , but that was for my time. I'd claim and put the money to good use.
    • ajd1969
    • By ajd1969 26th Nov 19, 11:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ajd1969
    I never used to claim until we where coming back from Manchester and Northern Rail cancelled the train from Preston without warning. My daughter got a txt alert while we where already more than halfway through our journey back. It wasn't a fun experience so from now on we claim if we are late.

Things are never going to improve for rail users unless the companies involved and network rail are hit in the pocket.
    • clairbear1000
    • By clairbear1000 27th Nov 19, 12:14 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    clairbear1000
    I would claim because as others say this will be logged against the route and the infrastructure may be improved. Also, on my line, I know the company claims from network tail so are they allowed to keep that. You are entitled to it, if you feel bad, pay it forward to someone else who needs it like a foodbank etc.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 27th Nov 19, 1:58 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    JayD
    It seems that you have already decided not to claim as the idea of doing so is making you unhappy.

So why make yourself unhappy and spoil the memory of what has been a pleasant experience?

Not everything needs to be about who owes what to who or how or where the financial buck will rest....
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 27th Nov 19, 7:23 AM
    • 5,452 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    John Gray
    The whole 'moral dilemma' would be obviated if compensation was given automatically in the applicable circumstances. The same should also apply to those welfare benefits where a claim is presently necessary.

Large organisations will attempt to avoid returning money, if there is a way to do this.
    • chimneyman
    • By chimneyman 27th Nov 19, 7:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    chimneyman
    I think there are three reasons why you should reclaim .....

1 - If the boot was on the other foot, the train company would extract every penny which their terms and conditions allowed
    2 - the train company will claim their own compensation from Network Rail irrespective of whether their customers claim from the train company
    3 - the train company's whole business plan will have made allowances for a predicted number of delays, cancellations and compensation claims. Not to claim would be like not bothering to claim a lottery prize

This thread caught my eye because I recently had cause to claim a refund from Virgin Trains. They had no problem agreeing the £21.60 claim but they wanted me to send them the three worthless tickets by registered post at my own expense. I eventually got my money back through PayPal.
    Last edited by chimneyman; 27-11-2019 at 8:55 AM. Reason: addition to reason 3
    • Agentfox
    • By Agentfox 27th Nov 19, 8:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Agentfox
    What happened to you during the 90 minute delay? Were you plied with free tea/coffee/ drinks? Did they "make up" for the delay on the train? I would definitely send a letter complaining about the delay but praising the journey and the staff (if that is appropriate). Delays sometimes happen and it's all part of being alive. This was a one off and it sounds like you had a great time. I think this is different to a regular commuter train that might always be delayed and cause people to be late for work.

Great question and judging from the other responses, we're all in different places with our answers!
    • his missus
    • By his missus 27th Nov 19, 8:30 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 19,764 Thanks
    his missus
    Claim and donate to charity.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

8,311Users online

Martin's Twitter