PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Looks as though it's going to be a glorious day here, I intend to spend most of outdoors:). Lunch will be another "use up" salad and dinner tonight will depend on how I feel after gardening. I've finished my current meal plan, I must have a think for next week as the plans I made for the past couple of weeks have worked really well for me so I'm trying to stick to being a little more disciplined again rather than deciding on the day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scorchio here. Not going out/anywhere.

The PC's indoors, there's nothing outside for me.... sitting out there, staring at a brick wall... when I could be sitting on a comfy sofa with a PC :)

If I had a conservatory I'd be sitting in that, with the doors open.

It does get a bit breezy here, you don't get a breeze in a conservatory, you just get the light/sun :)

I bet I end up never owning a conservatory.... it's high on the wish list though. Buy a house, fit a conservatory... but if there's £0 left over after buying a house that can't happen.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've had my usual toast and the last of the yoghurt.

I only ate half the veggie pizza yesterday so I have the other half to eat today and the last few cherries.

I will make a tofu and veggie stir fry tonight.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,416 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 August 2019 at 10:52AM
    Options
    Beautiful day here, ideal for holiday makers, and my SIL is swimming the Channel today as part of a relay team. started at 0230, they are about halfway across when I last looked, should be over by 5 ish, but if they run late they catch the ebb tide so are unable to fight the tide and have to swim parallel a few miles out & wait for tide to turn, which could add 6 hours on to time
    At least sea's calm, warmish 60F, and not much wind
    Here's the tracking link https://www.channelswimmingassociation.com/pilots/sea-leopard

Meanwhile I had porridge breakfast
    Bunged a ready mix loaf in, it's near Use By date & the yeast looses ooomph. It has turned out looking lovely & ready for lunchtime sarnie, cheese & shallot I think

Quick spin round the garden, checking for windfalls, none, plum check, a couple. They are really nice now, and seem to be ripening sequentially, ideal for one, no glut

Stewed previous windfalls + blackberries, I'll sort the crumble topping later today

YS broccoli & cheese flan out to defrost, it'll be some of that plus salad

Caron, we do seem to be in sync at times. I also had Caesar dressing on last night's salad as a change from salad cream
    The boiled eggs sort of worked, except one popped and[STRIKE] spewed [/STRIKE]leaked it's [STRIKE]guts [/STRIKE] contents into the boiling water:mad:. This was despite both being at room temp. I'll try your method next time
    It'll probably have on my tombstone, "Nice bloke but he couldn't boil an egg":D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    OMG, it's so hot out there. i just went for a 30 minute walk. I forgot to bring my water bottle so I had to buy some from the shop.

I just had an ice lolly when I got in.:A
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheesy garlic bread, n salad for tea.Might even chop fresh chillies on top for a change:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,416 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Update, apple & blackberry crumble made & cooling on the stove top. looks great, juice has seeped onto crumble top, should be nicely soaked in but crispy

Flan yet to be "cooked" reheated, only 30 minutes required so no rush
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Bother re the leaking egg Farway:mad:, I hate when they do that! I hope your SIL's swim went well:). I can swim, my parents insisted I learned, but I hate the water though do love a paddle.:cool: I did make the effort when my kids were babies to take them but it's not something I enjoy, though their Dad loves it and taught them both to swim competently before they were school age.
    I didn't get as much done in the garden as I hoped, a combination of the hot day and unhappy balance limited what I managed:( but it was lovely to just sit and enjoy my book outdoors and I treated myself to a dark choc ice from the freezer.:) It's been quite thundery though with odd spots of rain which was all the excuse I needed not to get the weedkiller down! Picked some broadbeans and a kholrabi today, the kholrabi was diced through my lunchtime salad today and I'll have the beans with dinner. :) My first beefsteak tom is nearly ripe, a Super Marmande, and it's a really decent size too- it's bottom barely fits in the cup of my hand. :eek:I'm looking forward to getting stuck into that:D.

Meal plan for the week has been done and tonight it's an easy CFO option of a piece of quiche from the freezer, baked spud, spinach and broad beans. I've popped a pork steak and a tub of HM chorizio, veg, rice mix in the fridge to defrost for tomorrow.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope your SIL is finished and recovering Farway, at least the weather was kind today

A warmed day here as well, i popped to town to get some odds and ends before i go away tomorrow (yes i know Dorset has shops :D) and bumped into a couple of old work colleagues in M&S food hall so we stood chatting for a while getting in the way of everyone else :) we probably should have gone for coffee the time we [STRIKE]gossiped [/STRIKE]caught up. I didn't enjoy the mile walk back to my car as it was too hot and I had brought more than i planned (50% sale plus an extra 10% off in Fat Face :p) as well as washing capsules etc.

Lunch was late i used us some smoked salmon trimmings i found in the fridge with a bagette and some horseradish and cucumber. as it was after 2pm i'm not that hungry at the moment so have been picking

I'm off early tomorrow to avoid the traffic and will have no internet connection unless i manage to hotspot my tablet to my phone. I'm not sure how long I will be away but i have two weeks off work so it will be until i over dose on family :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    I hope you have a lovely time Brambling and at least you have the car if you need to escape! I take some "work" emergency to call you back if needed.;);) There's always this to smile at if you need a bit of light relief from the family https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyEQk6OQi0 and find some WiFi :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure