PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scorchio here today. I have to sign my house contract today; there's absolutely no talk whatsoever of exchange, but my agent said the bottom of the chain now has their mortgage in place and suggested I made an appointment/signed so it's ready to go, so I did.

I had a big breakfast, so I don't feel hungry while out and end up in a bakery.... I had a toasted crust of bread, baked beans, scrambled eggs.

Not much edible food in the cupboards that I fancy, on edge due to the potential success/failure of the house sale... I might pop into 1-2 food shops while I'm out to see if anything catches my eye that is either a ready meal or something quick/easy that is a meal that doesn't produce leftovers or 2nd portions. God only knows what I might see and what I might fancy if I see something.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Fingers crossed PN that all goes smoothly:).
    It's dry and sunnyish here just now but there are lots of black clouds round about so I think the forecast for showers this afternoon is correct.
    Domestics for me this morning as I want to change my bed and generally tidy/clean my bedroom. If it stays dry I might wash the back windows. Depending on what the weather does later I'll either garden or do some cooking. I want to make Pastitsio (aka Greek lasgne/pasta bake) for dinner tomorrow which like lasagne it's a bit of a multi step job so easiest done over a couple of days. Lunch today will be a blt as I have a couple of rashers needing used up. Tonight it's refried beans from the freezer with stir fried veg and a fried egg, I'll probably have a pitta with it as it's only a small portion of beans.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 27 August 2019 at 12:47PM
    Options
    The weather changed, it's overcast now. This area's not going to get the month's rain in 3 hours the DM is predicting as their little map shows that's the top right hand corner of England.

Had to walk through a CoOp as the car park's behind it - saw the YS stuff, nothing of note. A chicken chow mein, £2.75 reduced to £1.95 is hardly going to lure me in.... could make one 4-5x the size for 1/2 of that price.

I CBA to get the food shopping I "need" (out of margarine, could do with bread). Popped into £land and, instead, emerged with 10 packs of doritos (two 5-packs of two flavours) + bag of choccies + 9-pack of dark choc/mint kit kats :)

Lunch has so far been a pack of doritos.

EDIT: Having said that, it's just started raining here, the "hammering down" sort. I'm sure it'll pass.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,270 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Back again, yesterday's Pizza & family get together at DD's was excellent
    Came home stuffed plus one LO HM pizza for another day

Baking hot this morning, into L's, nothing YS, just boring, milk, bleach & cucumber purchased.

I wanted celery but L seems to have gone eco and the celery's no longer in plastic, so it's wilting, thus they can keep it thank you. I can live without celery
    The weather changed, it's overcast now. This area's not going to get the month's rain in 3 hours the DM is predicting as their little map shows that's the top right hand corner of England.

EDIT: Having said that, it's just started raining here, the "hammering down" sort. I'm sure it'll pass.

Oh oh, something to look out for, clouding over here now, actually a good downpour would clear the air a bit

Online local & ethical meat order placed, using the 35% discount. Qualified for free delivery as well this time.

I hope it's as nice as the last lot, still no Dexter beef but I have opted for some diced buffalo this time, give that a bash in SC
    I've chose delivery next Wednesday as I can be sure if being in then.

Lunch was cheese & piccalilli sarnie
    Dinner, will be the [cold] LO broccoli & cheese flan, with salad and sprinkle of frozen chips

I was thinking of topping up chips, but think I'll leave that until post meat delivery
    No doubt s0d's law will provide oodles of unmissable YS this Thursday
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    edited 27 August 2019 at 7:57PM
    Options
    I'm hungry.
    I want "nice/different food".
    I have nothing suitable here.
    I am too lazy to go out shopping.

Repeat until I have to give up and either go shopping or eat something I do have.

EDIT: Too lazy. I ended up with beans on toast, that was the final crust of that loaf, so out of bread now too ... and on my last tin of beans.

Also had a pack of doritos. Then another. And some choccies.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Sounds as though you're going to be well stocked up Farway, I bet you're wondering how you every managed without your second freezer.;) I've only had buffalo once, it was water buffalo my friend had bought from a farm in Fife. It was very tasty, stronger than beef but not too gamey. The piece she had was very lean so a long slow cook was definitely needed otherwise I imagine it could be very tough.
    The weather didn't seem to know what it wanted to do black clouds one minute, then a few drops of rain, then sunshine, then repeat. I wouldn't be surprised if we got thunder & lightening as it's very close. I decided as it's going to be rainy over the next few days that washing the back windows was a waste of effort on my part:cool:. Instead I wrestled my bed out and got rid of the[STRIKE] mountain of [/STRIKE] hair and dust that collected under it:o. Definitely a where a second pair of hands would have been useful but as there was just me I just muttered a lot and tried not to fall over!
    After a much needed snooze I ventured to the veg patch and picked a load more beans. Apart from a couple of pods that is the broad beans finished unless I get some late flowers. The runners & green beans still have quite a few babies and some flowers but the vines are looking very sad so they will tail off soon. Tomorrow I'll get my pickings prepped and frozen. There's also more brambles needing picked but I'd used up my bendy ration for today so a job for tomorrow.
    The meat sauce for my Greek lasagne is cooked and I'll sort out the pasta and bechamel in the morning. My dinner of refried beans, stir fry veg, fried egg & pitta wont take long to make and then it's time for the sofa and a bit of TV before bed.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 28 August 2019 at 11:29AM
    Options
    With a move looking potentially imminent... I've just done a "big shop" :)

Just dashed out to 4ldi, £land, L1dl. £land have some 80 litre plastic/lidded storage boxes and they looked like they were £5, so I went in to get two.... before they ran out. I figured it's best to get two now, then maybe return in a fortnight when I know I need more and find they are sold out, than to leave it until I know how many I need and they've none ... they rang through the till at £6 each, I queried it, she agreed with me that she thought they were £5, so she rang them through at £10 for the pair.

4ldi YS: 2.5Kg Maris Pipers with a sticker on, so 84p; sweet peppers 50p. Also got chocolate, 4-pack of beans, tin of soup, crumpets, bread rolls, mature cheddar. And probably a couple of things I've forgotten I bought.

L1dl: Just got marg, 3-pack of salted caramel trifles, 10 eggs.

Got home and wished I'd got sausage casserole mix instead of the soup to cook the sausages in the fridge in, but it's too late now.

Spent: £5.61 + £10 + £2.67.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,270 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Rained overnight, so dull but warm this morning. Not that I was going anywhere
    I must have been more knackered than I thought, didn't wake until nearly 8. Master plan to make more yoghurt this morning has been delayed, see how I feel later

Porridge for breakfast, I had usual banana with it but was tempted to try out my huge 259g own red pear windfall from yesterday. I must use it rapidly because it has a bruised bum and will surely rot

I used my one & only Brandywine tomato in last night's salad, bit of a let down, big & meaty enough but taste was a bit sharp for me. I'll not grow that variety again

Caron, it's my first "proper" water buffalo as well, More as a trial really, I can't see any advantage over beef but not really researched it. Bit like eating ostrich or kangaroo, unusual but why bother?

I had a burger once in a farmer's market, but this is proper meat, local grown here https://www.broughtonwaterbuffalo.co.uk/farm/

Lunch, think it's fried egg sarnie, I've taken an egg out of fridge, and seems easy CBA option

Dinner, more CBA + use up. It's the HM LO pizza from Monday at DD's, with some salad
    LO apple & BB crumble + custard if space later
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I just took a lump of mince and some cooked rice out of freezer and have cougettes. Hummmmm. Have watched MKR Oz and Masterchef Oz but they did not really give me any ideas for today. Just placed an order with Tesco for heavy stuff, tins etc and some spices which I have never used but thought I would try to get a little more inspiration. Have been trying to use more spices, cumin etc and made a lovely chicken breast with some piri piri spices. Better I find to use the little jars as I do not have ethnic shops and the cook in bags have too much for 1 person so end up putting more food in freezer.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Looks like a similiar set up to where my friend's got there buffalo from Farway https://www.thebuffalofarm.co.uk/ :). Like you I've had ostrich and kangarooboth were nice and I'd eat them again but wouldn't go out of my way to buy them unless on SO. The buffalo I had was very good and I would be more inclined to buy some rather than the other exotics.
    The rain never arrived during the night but it's been drizzling a bit for the past hour so maybe that's all we'll get.
    I've had a gentle start to the day as the "wonky donkey" has been knocking a bit:(, a combination of weather pressure changes and over doing the bendy stuff yesterday. Balance and weather permitting I'll pick the ripe brambles later but apart from that I'm for a fairly sedentary day. I've admin to do, beans to prep for the freezer and the pastitsio to finish so that will keep me out of mischief:). Salad sarnie is planned for lunch, I discovered yesterday that there was more bacon left than I thought but I'll resist the temptation to have another bacon butty today. Tonight it's the pastisio assuming it works ok with green beans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback