PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    I just took a lump of mince and some cooked rice out of freezer and have cougettes.
    This says keema curry or courgettes stuffed with mince & rice (if your courgettes are large) to me. Koftas or burgers made with the mince and grated courgettes are also good. Just squeeze the courgettes really well after grating.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had some mashed avocado on crackers for breakfast.

I fancy some ice cream...:drool::naughty:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,270 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yoghurt made after lunch of not fried egg sarnie, the yolk broke so it became a one egg omelette sarnie:o
    The HM loaf had slight green spots on crust:eek:, I cut those off and charged right ahead as no other option by then.

I'm out shopping tomorrow so loath to make a loaf now only to find YS rolls when I'm out

My large red pear smells very perfumed, I may try some later with my YS posh cheeses
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fatty's Stash....

Just realised what a mammoth sized stash I've currently got for "things you never used to buy but now seem to exist on"

3 trifles
    7 kit-kats
    6 packs of doritos
    1 bar chocolate
    1 bag of choccies (225g)

Today's scoffathon has so far been:

2 chocolates, 2 kit kats, a bag of doritos.

Lunch was a bread roll & margarine.

This all started when the house was put up for sale and, to keep the kitchen clean/easily cleared for a viewing, I resorted to "food I can grab/eat without making a mess or smell".
  • caronc
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    The HM loaf had slight green spots on crust:eek:, I cut those off and charged right ahead as no other option by then.

Doesn't everyone? I certainly do if it's only a few green or blue spots on the crust and the bread smells ok. In CFO land it's hard to get through a loaf especially in this weather. I bought a cotton bag to keep my bread in so bought stuff isn't sweating in plastic. It certainly seems to have helped increase the time before mould appears and the bread doesn't get staler any quicker that I can notice.

PN - hopefully once you move you can get the sweetie/crisps consumption turned back to a snack or treat rather than meal replacement. It's amazing how quick junk consumption can creep up when you are busy or unsettled:eek:.

I've had a very quiet day, my balance has been less than great so I was careful about what I was doing and avoided anything bendy. I avoided hefting a heavy & hot pot by using a cooking spider to fish the pasta out and into a colander sat in a bowl. Definitely a much safer option.:) I just need to pop all the pastitsio layers together and bake it. I'm hoping mine is as tasty as the one my son's fiancee made for us was. I'll have a portion with some garden beans and there will be lots left to portion and freeze.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    6 packs of doritos

I love Doritos, haven't had them in ages!:)
    caronc wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone? I certainly do if it's only a few green or blue spots on the crust and the bread smells ok. In CFO land it's hard to get through a loaf especially in this weather.

OMG, I can't do it! I had a mother with mental health problems and I remember that there was often bread with mould on it in the house.

I actually freeze my loaves of bread now and just get out a couple of slices when I need it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sort of weekly lunch out with dd today and l/o mince for tea. Am planning trip to Lidl later, they have a sort of battery measuring spoon on today which I feel will be very useful for CFO. Getting scales out or thos cups is such a faff when you just want a few tablespoons or grams etc so am going to look and maybe treat myself.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

It's wild and windy here today, my sis and I went down to my Dad's and nearly got blown away when we got out of the car as it's so close to the shore. We had treated ourselves to coffees and sat with those to have a natter while the flat aired.
    My Greek lasagne turned out really well, a bit of a faff to make but worth it. There's lots left for the freezer as well as LOs of the individual components so they'll get frozen too. Between that, the meat order coming tomorrow and the beans I need to prep, my freezers are going to need tardis-like properties.:eek: I did take out a small tub of HM soup for lunch though.:)
    When I came back as it was dry I went and picked a load of tomatoes, some more beans and a cucumber. If it's still dry after lunch on I'll pick the ripe brambles as we have very heavy rain forecast for tomorrow and I don't want them wasted. I didn't get the beans prepped yesterday so that's

on my "to do" for later. Freezer rake for dinner, I'm not sure what yet but probably not pasta as I've had it twice in the past few days and too much or too often tends to make me a bit bloated which I'd rather avoid.:cool:
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had roasted chickpeas on a slice of toast and a fruit smoothie so far today.

I'm making veggie wraps later. Tortilla wrap/s filled with finely sliced cucumber and carrot (oh I might use my spiraliser) and tomatoes and vegan ham with yellow mustard.

I roll them up and then cut them into little bites, like sushi shapes.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2019 at 1:47PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    My Greek lasagne turned out really well, a bit of a faff to make but worth it. ...

Scorchio here.

I've often thought of making moussaka, love it (except aubergines), but I never get round to it. I do it with sliced spuds, not aubergine.

It's not that it's a faff, it's that anything's a faff :) Most of it is that I very rarely have the full set of ingredients in the house at the same time.

Earlier I did a spud topped with beans/cheese.

Just got the first of those 3 caramel trifles from the fridge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback