Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    Such methods include?
    Card readers and fobs that produce one-time codes and can be used to sign transactions.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Card readers and fobs that produce one-time codes and can be used to sign transactions.

Which are *other things* you have to carry around with you any time you want to use your banking app. Not exactly inconvenience free.
  • masonic
    Options
    Which are *other things* you have to carry around with you any time you want to use your banking app. Not exactly inconvenience free.
    If you have an app on your smartphone, you don't need the devices. They are for people who don't have smartphones (or prefer to use a device). Banks should offer both options (HSBC and First Direct do - either digital secure key in their app, or physical secure key).
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    If you have an app on your smartphone, you don't need the devices. They are for people who don't have smartphones (or prefer to use a device). Banks should offer both options (HSBC and First Direct do - either digital secure key in their app, or physical secure key).

That was my point. All of the additional methods of authentication involve some degree of inconvenience for the customer.
  • masonic
    edited 21 July 2019 at 8:38PM
    Options
    That was my point. All of the additional methods of authentication involve some degree of inconvenience for the customer.
    If you don't have a smartphone, app based authentication is the most inconvenient. If you don't have a mobile, SMS based authentication is just as bad. To those people other forms of authentication are more convenient.

But if your point is you can't have security without inconvenience, then I am right with you. Convenience is the enemy of security.

The way that banks can implement these changes without major inconvenience to customers is to offer a range of options - some are doing this and some are not.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    at the end of the day,

its a good thing!

people saying passwords and memorable info is secure - thats the thing, for it to me memorable it needs to be something you know, and this is easily known by others - social engineering its called, if i know enough about you, i can probably know your birth town, your mothers maiden name, first pet etc.

not many people make theses up / change them from their ACTUAL true first pet etc.

also keyloggers could be used, yes but unlikely, this would require access to the PC used. it's more likely to happen at an office though. not someones home (unless regular access by someone with a bad intent).

also keyloggers DO have legit uses of course. just to point this out. its like a knife, they are harmlessly used by most, for non illegal purposes, but of course can be used for bad.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Amex Credit Card
    New regulations will change the way you shop and access your online account. To keep your experience simple and secure, ensure we have your current mobile number and the mobile numbers for your Supplementary Cardmembers - in case we need to send either of you a verification code to confirm a purchase or login to your Online Account.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Radnorsaver
    Options
    The missing info page under First Direct is https://www1.firstdirect.com/help/secure-key/
  • Radnorsaver
    Options
    1st Direct: I have been told by the bank that you can have only one of the security keys at a time (either physical or digital).
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yorkshire Building Society
    From 8th September, when you log in, make a payment or manage your account online, you’ll need to undertake an extra step to confirm that it’s really you. This may not happen on every transaction you make though. When it does, we’ll send you a code via text message if you have a mobile phone or an automated call if you have a landline.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback