Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Funny story

During my lunch break, I passed an empty shoe box next to an overflowing bin. I thought maybe I should grab it for my link boxes. Anyway, i didn’t get as far as picking up the box as I realised it had trainers in it, so I left it where it was and walked away, annoyed that I lost out on a box.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    Funny story

During my lunch break, I passed an empty shoe box next to an overflowing bin. I thought maybe I should grab it for my link boxes. Anyway, i didn’t get as far as picking up the box as I realised it had trainers in it, so I left it where it was and walked away, annoyed that I lost out on a box.

I could have solved that problem for you: box to keep and trainers in the shoe bank (whatever state- they use the remaining bits)

I am turning into the bag lady. Today at the edge of a bank carpark I collected 8 woolly scarves! just dumped in a soggy heap. Took home and washed by hand, now drying. 2 were lambswool. This is such a wasteful society. So 8 scarves for shoe boxes, possibly. One looks a bit tatty so that might be part of a dog coat. There were 2 more scarves and some shorts - will go back tomorrow as I'll have the car.

Have sewn 3 shopping bags for the OAP boxes.
    That leaves:
    one bag to make
    8 sewing kits to sort- some need needle cases
    7 pairs of mitts

Then pack!!

Actually the tiger experience wasn't scary. They were so laid back- just looked like very big pet cats but with amazing markings.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Options
    All I could think about while I was in hospital was getting out to complete box 5. Only need a couple of items to finish it now and ate the chocolate out of it last night :( so going to replace that today.

Supposed to be on bed rest but I'm finding I'm either getting really bored or tired so I'm trying to do a couple of bits every day.

Have most of the bits for my elderly number 6 box but I definitely won't be storing any bits like Katiehound, I really am at the end of my stocks now but they have done well. Can't believe u found the scarves, it is a wasteful society.

Chanie I can't believe what Sports Direct said about the shoeboxes. DD is going to ask her BF DM again to get me a shoebox as they live in a little village where everyone knows everyone. A couple she sent me were too small but I've used them for parcelling up other items so not wasted.

It's nice to have the sunshine out. A couple of weeks and I have to go back into hospital for a couple of days.
    Where my collection point is, I have meetings every 3 months so I am really hoping that when we have the next meeting I can drop the boxes off before hand and i'll be fit to go to it.

Saw a couple of Amazon bits really cheap for good quality smellies. Don't know if it's a descriptive mistake by Amaz@n. DD and I decided to go for it and put in an order to put in the local food bank collection if they do come thru. So far the order hasn't been cancelled.

That's about it from me.
    Chanie hope DD party went okay
    katiehound tiger experience sounds good, very different.
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Elderly box number 6 completed but haven't quite finished box 5 just need a DIY tool.

Stocks are looking very pitiful and depleted-hardly anything left, I will have to start collecting throughout next year for those boxes.

My washing machine has decided to compete with Katiehound dishwasher. It has completely packed up which is extremely frustrating when I could be making the most of the nice weather for washing. Sods law!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Very brief reply now as I want to get to bed. So short of sleep, not just heat but circumstances.

Will write at length- probably on another thread-
    Tues 10.15 broke down 89 miles from home.
    It took RAC (with Saga car insurance) 17 hours to get me home. :eek:Walked in the door at at 03.10 Weds.Yes, you read it right.
    Woman driver alone with 2 dogs, 30 degrees temp stranded at side of road in a town. At one point they even offered to tow me home next day! Totally unacceptable 'service' :mad: 21 hour day

Had a great time in Norfolk charity shops, just rather marred by homeward drive! No car at present, courtesy car tomorrow.

36.5 degrees today on coast around 20 miles away. Feel like a grease spot!!
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Greetings from Greece.

Whenever we go away, I always keep my eyes peeled for presents, but I rarely find anything suitable. Despite hating shopping, OH always insists on buying souvenirs for the family. I hate ‘wasting’ money on stuff that is essentially unwanted junk (we have bags full of unwanted t-shirts and ashtrays that we don’t want or need). So,I try and buy either useful or consumable products like tea towels, local herbs, soap and sweets.

Katie that’s awful news about your ordeal. I hope you complain.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Ha , still recovering!
    Very vociferous complaint made to breakdown- investigation takes 20 working days. Also complaint to Saga- no feedback from them- yet- I am not letting it rest.

Hopefully I get my car tomorrow. The gearbox is now out. The courtesy car is teeny and I struggle to get in and out. Also struggled to find reverse, then set off the windscreen wipers and couldn't stop them in the sun!!

5 pairs of mittens made. No more, will use 2 woolly scarves instead.
    8 sewing kits done
    Need to sort out the hair bits and then I think I am done.

Have already got bits for next year! When you see bags of coloured pencils- 50+ for £1 that's a bargain I can not resisit, and packs of mini playing cards @20 pence too......

The dishwasher man is due to come tomorrow. Not holding breath. His excuses are myriad and plausible but now I'm not sure they are quite the truth........
    Many thanks

• Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Katiehoundgood luck for the dishwasher man turning up today. I hope he does for u and it finally gets sorted. Mechanical wise things definitely don't sound to be going ur way
    I thought it was truly disgusting about the RAC taking 17 hours to get home and I am so glad u have complained and will not let it rest. Really unacceptable service.

How u find ur bargains for the shoeboxes I don't know. I'm not that lucky.

Bought some bits for my last box yesterday. I was going to do a family box but DD really wanted me to do another elderly box. Just need a shoebox for this but DD BF has his birthday today and among his presents is a shoebox so I'm going to try to nab that.
    Box 5 still needs completing-just needs a DIY tool, waiting for some from eBay.

Chanie oooo Greece, have a great time. I always like a fridge magnet. When DD was at primary school her bestie always used to buy her a magnet from her holibobs. Useful for keeping stuff on the fridge but we have a nice display developing on the boiler side aswell. T-shirts and ash trays a definite no from me. Soap and sweets yes, they're nice but practical aswell.

Have my DN birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. Due to a few lifestyle changes with her I was debating what to buy her. Have got her a few things i know she will like and is always asking for.
    Have bought a bamboo toothbrush set that comes with a couple of free biodegradeable things with it to finish her off.
    Ideal for her. Also bought one for DD for Christmas where the original idea came from. Looking at the sets I am going to get another for DD BF for Christmas.

Other than some birthday present wrapping done and the odd Christmas present, already packed into the leftover small spare shoebox I had, I've done nothing else present wise except do some organising and tidying up of presents in the storage suitcases as everything was getting messy and something would just get damaged. Noticeably less items stored this year, I have really cut down.but it doesn't look like I have cut down iyswim.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Dishwasher man came today. Don't know if machine is fixed because the glue had to be left to set for 4 hours, by then too dark to use (solar panels) I will have it running tomorrow. Fingers crossed

My car is back too thankfully and the Fabia has returned to the garage. I'm only £900 the poorer!!
    I have sent a card to the hairdresser who rescued me. I will get a gift card from Mr T for the folk who kept us safe for 13 hours- they can then choose drink, food or flowers- and I know that they shop there.

It's been clammy here today. The wind has been blowing thro house- wonderful cooler air, but it's meant the odd door crashing shut and both dogs have been upskittled. I thought I'd have a siesta only to have one dog almost sitting on my head and the other squashed up against me. Very relaxing!! I think thunder might have been possible that is why they behaved so oddly.

Panic today as I mislaid my Yellow Fever vacc cert. I took it to the surgery so they could scan it for my notes and then realised I hadn't seen it since I got home yesterday. Finally found it in a shopping bag (that I had already searched). Just think, I have kept it safe since 1981 only to lose now.

Not expecting any word from RAC until late August, I doubt they will keep me informed.

Still have hair bobbles etc to do. I don't react well in this heat. Grief, my thermostat says 23 degrees now. Another night to toss and turn.

I need to attack some sleeping bags/ duvets tomorrow as planning to deliver to village PO, maybe also dog groomers on Thu.

Take care folks
    Many thanks

• Katiehound
    Options
    Dish washer not working properly- still :(
    Not a happy bunny, esp as it is sooooo hard to pin down his visits!
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure