Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Chanie I think Calais will be so exciting and so Christmassy before Christmas, definitely worthy of another trip :) . I only ever seem to bring back Christmas baubles!
    It's a shame this trip wasn't more productive but I remember when my DD was younger, it was a nightmare on the shopping front but so nice to do the trip :)

Trying to get hold of the shoebox contact is proving hard work at this rate I will be dropping them off at the drop off point DD used at uni, it might prove a lot easier. I'm definitely not as organised as Katie hound!

Slowly wrapping the birthday presents, ready for drop off this weekend. The spare bedroom will slowly be looking tidier after the drop off. It's lovely to pick up presents cheaper and definitely more convenient to have them in and ready, it's just the storage. They seem to take over everywhere.
    Each year I say I'm not going to go so mad, then I see a perfect present and think I've got to have that:)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I only ever seem to bring back Christmas baubles!

Its a lovely way to have memories of your trips.

I have a box that I keep the presents in, but that's full, so I have expanded into OH's wardrobe!!. I can't reach the box without a ladder, but we don't have a suitable one so normally will bring a chair from downstairs. Last night, I needed something from my box, so I ended up getting a lift from OH on his shoulders so I could reach......
  • chanie
    Options
    I bought 3 chocolate oranges which were 75p in Tesco's. I don't have anyone in mind to give them to, but I thought it was worth grabbing them at that price, even though you can get them in the poundshop!!!
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    Its a lovely way to have memories of your trips.

I have a box that I keep the presents in, but that's full, so I have expanded into OH's wardrobe!!. I can't reach the box without a ladder, but we don't have a suitable one so normally will bring a chair from downstairs. Last night, I needed something from my box, so I ended up getting a lift from OH on his shoulders so I could reach......

Chanie this made me smile so much, the image of u balancing on ur OHs shoulders to get a present. The things we do! I hope u managed to get the present!

I managed to deliver 4 bags of birthday presents to my Uncle yesterday ready for birthdays next month. All being for youngsters they had several small presents each, wrapped and popped into a gift bag. But could I find one of the smaller presents, nope. Me and DD hunted high and low in all the suitcases I use for storage, hunted in my wardrobe but we just couldn't find it at all.
    My uncle was greatly amused saying I bet as soon as the birthday has been u will find it-so true!

I've noticed now the birthday presents have gone out as it was a friend's birthday too that I have a lot more spare storage space than I would normally have. If I get chance I'm going to have a sort out and rearrange of things, just make things tidier as Ive a couple of birthday presents for Jan birthdays that could do with being tucked away.

Other Christmas prep, I did buy some pringles to pop away-DD has eaten them! Will start stashing some bits after next week when she has gone back to uni.

Hope everyone's Christmas prep is going okay x
  • chanie
    Options
    I had a clear out of my gift box and was amazed at all the crap I had. Lots of unwanted gifts and freebies, many of which had been in the box for years. I decided to either gift it at the next available date (birthday or xmas) or give to the charity shop/school fete. It feels so much easier now I don’t have to trawl through all that junk!

Now that we are in September, I feel I can legitimately ask the remaining family members what they want (all OHs side of the family!). DN wants 5migg1e. You don’t get much for your money, but there is a sale on at the moment, so I should be able to sort out a decent gift (and save money at the same time).

SIL hasn’t said what she wants, so I’ve told OH I will get her some PJS. I’m not going to spend too much time and effort thinking about what to get her as she puts minimal time and effort in to the presents she buys for us.
  • chanie
    edited 24 September 2019 at 11:52AM
    Options
    I did go to 5migg1e today and spent £35 (eek) but bought a few bits for DD as well as DN. I just need to think of a way to present the gift to DN, as although the items are expensive, there isn’t much there.

EDIT - have decided to present in a hamper. I have also have a few extra non-5migg1e related items I can use to bulk up the gift, to make it look a bit more substantial.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    chanie I think the hamper idea sounds fab.That's the problem when u have bought items and u don't get a lot for ur money but they are items that are wanted and its how u pad it out. Always find that with teeangers when items get more expensive,always looks like uve not bought them much when in reality uve spent a fortune!

Have got to go away for a meeting tonight. Four hour journey and staying over at DDs who only moved into her flat yesterday. Hoping to deliver 4 shoeboxes tonight as in the area of the drop off point from last year. Would have delivered the 7 but I haven't finished the last one. It's full but just finishing it off, I mentally have just gone on strike.
    Thought it was a good opportunity to at least get 4 out of the way just for wardrobe access :)

Have been slowly plodding on with wrapping Christmas presents. Hoping I will be prepared!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A quick post from me!

Got home Tues from Ireland. Weather on motorway was horrendous- all the water/ rain/ spray back so that w.wipers couldn't cope, so visibility poor. Plus road works and I flipping missed the turn onto M62 off M60-did an extra 26? miles. Thank goodness Topps tiles let me use their staff toilet. Once you get into a conurbation it's really hard on motorways- you never know when there is going to be a turn off for a U turn. It was a 38 hour day- still catching up!!

Off next Thu at 7.30am to Dover. Then small fly in ointment- Thomas Cook were the company that Fred.Olsen has used for charter flights. Just got details of flight- now BA scheduled but no chance of premium economy- less vital leg room and less luggage allowance- 12 hour flight for return to UK.

so thankful I got the shoeboxes done!
    Came home with a few bargains (not loads) now have beach towels (£1.80) and Sistema water bottles- (£1.15)

Yesterday I bought a nice microfibre coat for the £5 challenge friend- it cost £1!! so if it doesn't suit it can go to a different charity shop in a different area.

Yesterday managed to delete 350 junk e-mails. can now see what's vital.

E-mail (not letter) from RAC 18or 19 Sept. Have accepted ex gratia payment = annual membership. Can not be bothered to go to ombudsman to claim for distress etc. - tooo much effort. (But I suspect it would warrant further investigation.....)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Given up battle with dishwasher until November! too many other essential jobs before I cruise........
    Have fun
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Not Christmas at all but saw this delightful photo- light relief after politics! in Ireland. Australian couple had their wedding photos taken on the Ring of Kerry with an addition!
    deer2-e1568548217791.jpg
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure