Aedis Building Inspectors unreachable

Options

Comments

• myk33
    myk33 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Yea there are many people complaining on twitter, not sure if its pointless or not but might be worth adding a note of concern to bombard their feed a little more for more exposure.

CICAIR regulate AEDIS but do we know for sure if they have access to their data to pass over to us should they go under/fail to co-operate with their back log of customers?

this is one of the most worrying things as without them I don't think my council will give me any leeway.

Stupid question, but has anything like this happened before with BC companies folding or failing to renew insurance?

Do we think the government or body will intervene to provide a solution with people who are far gone into their project if the local authorities are being too finicky and worried about approving a third parties judgement?

I guess this is why we are holding out, but I honestly think F'k all will happen and we will be left to pick up the pieces.
  • myk33
    Options
    FWIW I emailed CICAIR asking if they have access to the notes and what happens should AEDIS cease trading and fold overnight. this was the response:

"I have forwarded your email onto Aedis and asked that they contact you via email. I am however aware that Aedis are receiving an extremely high call/email volume and are trying to get back to as many people as quickly, as possible.

Unfortunately CICAIR do not hold copies of site inspection records. As written in the Building Control Performance Standards all records relating to the building control service provided to individual projects shall be stored in a retrievable format and wherever practicable electronically by every Building Control Body for a minimum period of 15 years. Arrangements shall be made for their transfer into safe keeping in the event of a Building Control Body ceasing trading."
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    myk33 wrote: »
    Do we think the government or body will intervene to provide a solution with people who are far gone into their project if the local authorities are being too finicky and worried about approving a third parties judgement?

I guess this is why we are holding out, but I honestly think F'k all will happen and we will be left to pick up the pieces.

The system in place for such occurrences is referring back to BC. I cannot forsee any intervention likely in the near future as the Government battles with National and International stuff on the fan.

Personally, I am holding out for either Aedis to get their cack to together or else for my notes to forwarded before reverting back to BC in an application.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • theGrinch
    Options
    FWIW I emailed CICAIR asking if they have access to the notes and what happens should AEDIS cease trading and fold overnight. this was the response:

"I have forwarded your email onto Aedis and asked that they contact you via email. I am however aware that Aedis are receiving an extremely high call/email volume and are trying to get back to as many people as quickly, as possible.

Unfortunately CICAIR do not hold copies of site inspection records. As written in the Building Control Performance Standards all records relating to the building control service provided to individual projects shall be stored in a retrievable format and wherever practicable electronically by every Building Control Body for a minimum period of 15 years. Arrangements shall be made for their transfer into safe keeping in the event of a Building Control Body ceasing trading."

Well done. I have done the same. It seems like a step in the right direction. Now we just hope we can get them in a timely fashion and the inspectors wrote up satisfactory notes.
  • Farked
    Farked Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks chaps. I took the telephone approach to CICAIR, got through to a helpful lady. She knew all about Aedis and defended them saying that they are overwhelmed with calls and emails at the moment. I said that we all understand that but the lack of communication from them is what is stirring us all up - their phone line just rings and disconnects as though they aren't there (no waiting system...you are 543rd in the line), no auto response to emails with a predicted time to respond, no updates on website since 11th June. She agreed and said she will write to MD there as she accepted that was all valid.

I think us three have tiny minion projects in comparison to what they do elsewhere so maybe those multimillion pound flats being built everywhere are the priority they are dealing with.

She also confirmed notes can't be lost and have to held for 15 years and if they fold then notes will have to be retained. Didn't really say what would happen.

I am not confident they will get their indemnity. If the underwriter thinks they are too much risk then that will not change unless they change their portfolio of work. I don't know what work they do that is so high risk but I have also heard it is not the actual work they do but the volume of work. Does that mean the more work you do the more risk? How does any of this make sense? Car insurers charge more for driving more miles, but the more miles you do the more likely you are to be better with experience.....
  • theGrinch
    edited 2 July 2019 at 8:23AM
    Options
    I got a call back from my inspector.

To bullet point the feedback

o All records are safe. He read them back over the phone.

o He is waiting for direction on releasing the records as authorisation (and he has requested the same) has been required up to now. He wants to know if that is still the procedure. It seems your inspector can release the records.

o There is very little chance of any insurance to continue business and yes its down to volume as there is limited liability on private BC and the excess it taken on by insurance.

o He recommends I apply for regualarisation

o He said councils are aware of the problem and its size and have been in contact with him to release the records.

o He alone has 400 cases and he estimates there are over 40,000 in the UK. My council has about 90 such cases

o This has totally overwhelmed them. Staff are leaving and morale is very low. Some are unpaid for June. Looks very much like this company is toast.

o As such, councils are pushing for the records rather than invasive inspections but Aedis has a huge backlog of requests.

o This will not be the first BC in trouble, but its the biggest to date. In the next few months there will be others including government sensitive inspectors.
  • myk33
    Options
    theGrinch wrote: »
    I got a call back from my inspector.

To bullet point the feedback

o All records are safe. He read them back over the phone.

o He is waiting for direction on releasing the records as authorisation (and he has requested the same) has been required up to now. He wants to know if that is still the procedure. It seems your inspector can release the records.

o There is very little chance of any insurance to continue business and yes its down to volume as there is limited liability on private BC and the excess it taken on by insurance.

o He recommends I apply for regualarisation

o He said councils are aware of the problem and its size and have been in contact with him to release the records.

o He alone has 400 cases and he estimates there are over 40,000 in the UK. My council has about 90 such cases

o This has totally overwhelmed them. Staff are leaving and morale is very low. Some are unpaid for June. Looks very much like this company is toast.

o As such, councils are pushing for the records rather than invasive inspections but Aedis has a huge backlog of requests.

o This will not be the first BC in trouble, but its the biggest to date. In the next few months there will be others including government sensitive inspectors.

Hi Mate, just to let you know I got through to my inspector and he said a lot the same as above. I managed to obtained the notes and their pictures required. however in my case there is 1 thing that was inspected but missed not noted however I and the builders do have pictures if that is even good enough! however lets leave this issue to one side for a moment.

Can you advise what "regualarisation" is?

As I understand our only option is to sign a document with the LA that reverses the project of inspections thus far - then after this they can take on the case "as new" taking into account all evidence we have to hand.

is this the same thing or is it an alternative?

given the news are you planning to still wait it out another 4 weeks or just get on with it? I might give it till Friday latest and then appoint council.

BTW in terms of getting ANY money back I think the chances are very close to zero. My inspector also gave me the stats and also staff not being paid.
  • theGrinch
    Options
    @ myk33

What you describe is regularisation and as you have the best part of your notes you can apply and move forward.

I am still waiting for release.

Did your inspector need authorisation or he just released them direct to you?
  • myk33
    Options
    Ok this is the route I am going to go down now. I have submitted the reversion document and waiting on the council to provide me payment details so that I can pay for BC all over again - Joy!

I had 2 surveyors, one emailed me the note document with the pictures and the other I spoke with on the phone who also provided some pictures.
  • theGrinch
    Options
    Ok this is the route I am going to go down now. I have submitted the reversion document and waiting on the council to provide me payment details so that I can pay for BC all over again - Joy!

Don't forget they should only charge you for the inspections and work remaining according to my local BC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure