Advice on new combi boiler

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just to return to this. I checked out the 10 year guarantee with Worcester Bosch direct and yes accredited installers can provide a 10 year guarantee at the moment.

So quotes so far;

Local installer - Worcester Bosh Greenstar 30i with Wave £2520 or with Hive £2460 - both with 10 year guarantee ( Hive itself only 2 years but Wave full 10 year ). Good communication from him.

Intergas accredited installer - called out last Monday but still to provide a quote. Not sure I like the idea of the expansion tank either separate or fitted to back of boiler though.

Worcester Bosch/Viessmann installer - called on Tuesday morning but still waiting on quote. He also said he was considering doing Intergas so asked for quotes for all 3.

Scottish Gas called on Thursday - instant quote and actually quite surprising in that they were reasonably competitive but probably to do with the £500 discount they're offering just now ( £300 for Homecare customers and £200 for all )

Their recommendations were Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i at £2788 with Hive Or Vaillant EcoTec +832 at £3079 with Hive.

My issues with them is that both only come with a 5 year guarantee and routing the flue round the wall to come out front of garage as opposed to present flue through garage roof. If I want it through roof it would cost an extra £540 due to needing scaffolding even though the garage roof is not high!

The sales advisor was quite good in trying to keep the cost down at least.

Boilerhut Online - quote for Viessmann Vitodens 050-W 29kW with Nest - £2696 with 10 year guarantee

Also phoned another installer who is both Worcester Bosch and Viessmann accredited. He said to also consider Atag. He has my details since last Tuesday but hasn't contacted me yet to come out.

Next Thursday I have an Atag installer coming out. Good communication from him so far. Says he has fitted around 60 Atag boilers so far.

As usual different installers favour different boilers and after sales service sometimes an issue with Viessmann.
  • Edithgrand
    Edithgrand Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sounds a great deal from your local installer,for the Bosh 30i
  • jem16
    Options
    Edithgrand wrote: »
    That sounds a great deal from your local installer,for the Bosh 30i

Yes it is and out of all the people I've had out so far, he's been the best for communication too. Came out fairly quickly, sent quote when he said he would and has since answered further queries promptly.

So far I haven't had the same level of service from others although Boilerhut have been good but all online and via phone so far. I don't know who actually installs though although he has given me a name.

If it was not for people putting me off Worcester Bosch, I would go with the local installer.

We'll see what the Atag installer says on Thursday.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Yes it is and out of all the people I've had out so far, he's been the best for communication too. Came out fairly quickly, sent quote when he said he would and has since answered further queries promptly.

So far I haven't had the same level of service from others although Boilerhut have been good but all online and via phone so far. I don't know who actually installs though although he has given me a name.

If it was not for people putting me off Worcester Bosch, I would go with the local installer.

We'll see what the Atag installer says on Thursday.

People are putting you off WB for good reason, they are not as good as the alternative boilers mentioned, which have stainless steel heat exchangers.
  • jem16
    Options
    thorganby wrote: »
    People are putting you off WB for good reason, they are not as good as the alternative boilers mentioned, which have stainless steel heat exchangers.

Yes I do realise that and I appreciate the info which has led me onto my own research.

However what I was saying is that it can be very difficult to get unbiased info from installers as what I've found so far is that they have their own preferences.

Anyway today I had someone call who is an accredited installer for both Viessmann and Atag. He also has Worcester Bosch in his own home. He has confirmed what you have said about plastic parts in WB boilers and would not recommend them now. he has said that both Viessmann and Atag are good but his preference would be Atag with its 10 year as standard guarantee. He also likes how the Atag has been built.

He's going to give me a quote for both Viessmann and Atag though.

Tomorrow I have another Atag installer coming so we'll see what he says.

Further research has found me info on OpenTherm which some boilers do along with Nest that uses this function.
  • jem16
    Options
    Ok a few more quotes now in.

Atag IC 28 + Nest/Atag One = £2500

Atag IC 27 Economiser + Nest/Atag One = £2670

Atag IC 35 Economiser + Nest/Atag One = £2845 and £2650 ( cheaper but hasn't yet installed one whereas other quote comes from someone who has installed around 30 so far)

Viessmann 100w 30kw + Nest = £2730

I'm leaning towards the Atag at the moment although haven't decided which one yet. The extra £175 for the 35 over the 27 doesn't seem too bad and gives a higher flow rate of hot water.

Any thoughts?
  • Gixxer6
    Gixxer6 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I am a heating engineer that has experience with the boilers you are looking at. I can give you my opinion of you are still looking for advice?
  • jem16
    Options
    Gixxer6 wrote: »
    I am a heating engineer that has experience with the boilers you are looking at. I can give you my opinion of you are still looking for advice?

Yes please do.
  • Gixxer6
    Gixxer6 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I have the most experience with Worcester and Atag as I have installed around 100 of each. Starting with the 30i. The i is Worcester's bottom of the range boiler, albeit there second latest model (they have just released their new model called the greenstar 8000) but it uses a relatively old design main heat exchanger know as the 'kebab' in the trade, that I have seen quite a few problems with. It also uses a lot of plastic for the water ways which has caused problems with leaks on their others models. To get maximum warranty you have to buy their filter and controls which give an extra year each and have it fitted by an accredited installer for another year. If you were to go with a Worcester the wave isn't their latest thermostat, it is now the easycontrol.
    Atag have two combi's, the IC and the IC economiser. The latter is the same boiler but comes with flue gas heat recovery built in for higher efficiency and hot water flow rates. Both come in three power inputs. Atag's heat exchanger is stainless steel and comes with a lifetime warranty and the boiler comes with a 10 year warranty no matter what filter and controls you opt for. Atag only use brass on their water ways. Their one control is very good and gives added efficiency by having weather compensation, load compensation and optimum start.
  • jem16
    Options
    Gixxer6 wrote: »
    Atag have two combi's, the IC and the IC economiser. The latter is the same boiler but comes with flue gas heat recovery built in for higher efficiency and hot water flow rates. Both come in three power inputs. Atag's heat exchanger is stainless steel and comes with a lifetime warranty and the boiler comes with a 10 year warranty no matter what filter and controls you opt for. Atag only use brass on their water ways.

Thanks to earlier posters, I started looking at Atag as a choice. Having researched their boilers and read what others have saying I have decided on the Atag Economiser 35 Plus. From what you're saying it confirms my choice so thank you.
    Their one control is very good and gives added efficiency by having weather compensation, load compensation and optimum start.

The controller itself looks good although the app itself appears a little clunky but I'm sure I will manage.

I like the use of OpenTherm and Nest would allow that too. Not sure on the weather compensation part as I haven't looked that far. Atag does seem to use an actual sensor for the weather which must be more accurate than using an internet weather station though.

I think I'm more or less decided on the Atag One. Have you any more tips on it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback