Advice on new combi boiler

Comments

• Gixxer6
    Gixxer6 Posts: 3 Newbie
    I find the one app quite simple to use and haven't had any complaints from any customer's as yet.
    All of atag's boiler come with an external weather sensor but the one uses
    an internet forecast for weather compensation. Siting of the sensor can be an issue as it must be on a north facing wall, located under the eaves and is wired directly to the boiler. Also bare in mind that the one must be wired to the boiler also. The nest does not need to be wired directly to the boiler but it does need a power supply.
    As you have said, the nest uses an opentherm connection which is good but not as advanced as eBus which the one uses.
    Which power boiler you go for should be decided on based on your hot water usage, the flow rate of the cold main at your house and the gas supply to the location of the boiler.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Gixxer6 wrote: »
    I find the one app quite simple to use and haven't had any complaints from any customer's as yet.

I believe that the Atag One allows remote diagnostics by the installer. Do you use that with your customers?
    Which power boiler you go for should be decided on based on your hot water usage, the flow rate of the cold main at your house and the gas supply to the location of the boiler.

I could get away with the Economiser 27 Plus with my usage but I've decided to go with the Economiser 35 Plus as it was only an extra £175 which I felt was worth it.
  • All sound very good (especially the Atag) but all incredibly expensive, I have just had fitted an Ideal logic+ C30 £1700 all in 7 year guarantee, been fitted now around 6 weeks and my installer reckons they are one of the best for efficiency and the best for value, its quiet and very efficient compared to my old Vaillant which to be fair lasted 25+ years with limited servicing/repair.
  • jem16
    Gixxer6 wrote: »
    All of atag's boiler come with an external weather sensor but the one uses an internet forecast for weather compensation. Siting of the sensor can be an issue as it must be on a north facing wall, located under the eaves and is wired directly to the boiler.

Is the sensor needed then if the One is using an internet forecast? In fact is there a need for weather compensation in the first place?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    jem16 wrote: »
    Is the sensor needed then if the One is using an internet forecast? In fact is there a need for weather compensation in the first place?

Weather compensation monitors the outside temperature 24/7 and adjusts the water temperature 24/7 so the boiler runs at as low a temperature as possible.
  • jem16
    Cardew wrote: »
    Weather compensation monitors the outside temperature 24/7 and adjusts the water temperature 24/7 so the boiler runs at as low a temperature as possible.

Thanks. Have you used this system? Does it work well?

I've now found out that the weather compensation can either use the internet for weather reports or use the sensor if fitted.

Question now is - which method is better?
  • Cardew
    Yes I have the system fitted to the main boiler(Veissmann) in my house. it certainly works and the water temperature to the radiators can be as low as 40C or as high as 70C - the boiler is in a separate boiler room so I am not always monitoring the display.

Of course I have no idea if it saves as much as Veissman claim.
  • jem16
    Cardew wrote: »
    Yes I have the system fitted to the main boiler(Veissmann) in my house. it certainly works and the water temperature to the radiators can be as low as 40C or as high as 70C - the boiler is in a separate boiler room so I am not always monitoring the display.

Reading comments elsewhere of people leaving the heating on 24/7. Is this necessary to use the system properly?
  • Cardew
    jem16 wrote: »
    Reading comments elsewhere of people leaving the heating on 24/7. Is this necessary to use the system properly?

No not necessary.

The principle aim with any condensing boiler(now mandatory) is to keep the boiler in condensing mode to increase efficiency. Essentially this is achieved by running the radiator water temperature as cool as possible. Thus if the radiator water at, say, 40C is sufficient to maintain the required room temperature, it will keep the boiler output at 40C. If it gets colder outside such that the 40C is too cool to maintain the required room temperature, the water temperature is increased.

This explains the principle in layman's terms

http://hydroheatplumbing.com/blog/post/what-is-weather-compensation-
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After all the to-ing and fro-ing the OP went through ... and after all the info that other people freely gave, I can't see any sign of an update.

Asuuming the boiler has now been installed I'd have thought it only polite to give a hint as regards what was installed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback