Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 23rd Apr 19, 3:21 PM
    • 310Posts
    • 70Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    0 WOW
    Booked a holiday to Sri Lanka? Your rights after terror attacks - MSE News
    • 23rd Apr 19, 3:21 PM
    0 WOW
    Booked a holiday to Sri Lanka? Your rights after terror attacks - MSE News 23rd Apr 19 at 3:21 PM
    Sri Lanka is currently facing heightened security and a nationwide curfew following Sunday's terror attacks. If you're in the country now or due to travel there shortly, here's what you need to know...
    Read the full story:
    'Booked a holiday to Sri Lanka? Your rights after terror attacks'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 25th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 25th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    The FCO have now advised against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, so it may now be possible to cancel and get a refund from insurance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/travel-advice-to-sri-lanka-updated
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 25th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    I’m curious how this works.
    How far ahead can you claim? Or is it only after?

Just thinking that if you don’t know whether you are going or not then you can’t reserve anything else or cancel/re-book your work leave.

I am guessing it’s only at the time you can decide/claim making it mightily inconvenient financially, work leave and reservation wise.
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 25th Apr 19, 5:55 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 5,225 Thanks
    cazziebo
    • 25th Apr 19, 5:55 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 5:55 PM
    Does anyone know what happens if the booking (via a travel agent) is a few months away? I've booked for August.
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 25th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 25th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    The FCO have now advised against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, so it may now be possible to cancel and get a refund from insurance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/travel-advice-to-sri-lanka-updated
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    As I understand it, you can't claim on holiday insurance if a destination is cancelled by the FCO due to terrorisium, one has to stand the cost if booked independently, i.e. not through a tour operator
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 25th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    • 20,378 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 25th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    Iím curious how this works.
    How far ahead can you claim? Or is it only after?

Just thinking that if you donít know whether you are going or not then you canít reserve anything else or cancel/re-book your work leave.

I am guessing itís only at the time you can decide/claim making it mightily inconvenient financially, work leave and reservation wise.
    Originally posted by lisyloo

You should be able cancel and book somewhere else now. Nobody knows how long the travel restriction will last, it could be years, but hopefully not.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 25th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    As I understand it, you can't claim on holiday insurance if a destination is cancelled by the FCO due to terrorisium, one has to stand the cost if booked independently, i.e. not through a tour operator
    Originally posted by Beverley Hillbillies
    Do you have a link or source?
    Iíve thoroughly checked my policy and there isnít an exclusion for either terrorism or independent arranegmemts. It specifically says this scenario is covered.
    Where did you read/hear this?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th Apr 19, 7:05 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 25th Apr 19, 7:05 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 7:05 PM
    Does anyone know what happens if the booking (via a travel agent) is a few months away? I've booked for August.
    Originally posted by cazziebo
    Sounds like you can claim on your insurance for cancellation.
    This is why you should take it out when you book (or have an annual policy in place).
    • smudge2006
    • By smudge2006 25th Apr 19, 9:19 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    smudge2006
    • 25th Apr 19, 9:19 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 9:19 PM
    I tried and my insurer said they'd only pay out of my holiday was within 14 days. I'm booked for July
    Premier League Baby!
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 25th Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 5,225 Thanks
    cazziebo
    Sounds like you can claim on your insurance for cancellation.
    This is why you should take it out when you book (or have an annual policy in place).
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    I have an annual policy, but won't the Travel Agent try to rebook a similar holiday? I don't want a refund, I'd rather have a holiday of more or less same standard (and flight prices will have increased since I booked)
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 26th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 20,378 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I tried and my insurer said they'd only pay out of my holiday was within 14 days. I'm booked for July
    Originally posted by smudge2006
    Have you asked your tour operator for a refund or to re-book you to a different destination?

This is not necessarily an insurance claim situation.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 26th Apr 19, 7:28 AM
    • 20,378 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Originally posted by Beverley Hillbillies
    That is entirely dependent on individual policies.
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 26th Apr 19, 9:31 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    verityboo
    We were booked on a Family group holiday to Sri Lanka in August. Phoned them earlier and as per T&C's I can get a full refund. They are offering an extra 5% discount if I book an alternative holiday with them as well

Suggest people check the T&C's of their booking first if they have booked some kind of package holiday
    • Malccornelius
    • By Malccornelius 26th Apr 19, 9:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Malccornelius
    No refund ...
    Due to travel to Sri Lanka and Nepal on 6/5 for three weeks.

Tour operator has cancelled the tour and is offering no alternative or refund.

Insurance say the TO should be refunding ....

Any thoughts on next steps ?
    Last edited by Malccornelius; 26-04-2019 at 9:41 AM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 26th Apr 19, 9:55 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I have an annual policy, but won't the Travel Agent try to rebook a similar holiday? I don't want a refund, I'd rather have a holiday of more or less same standard (and flight prices will have increased since I booked)
    Originally posted by cazziebo
    Have you asked your travel agent?
    Do let us know what happens please.
    • bittenbythetravelbug
    • By bittenbythetravelbug 26th Apr 19, 10:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bittenbythetravelbug
    Help
    I have a holiday booked to Sri Lanka later this year. I booked our flights, hotels, tours etc. independently over the last 6 months or so. I normally have an annual trip insurance which expired on 22nd April and I am currently in the process of renewing it - life got in the way and I now am in a 'cover gap'. I assume the 'new' insurance (booked today) will not pay up for the canellation as the FCO advice came out before the cover was taken up, but will the 'old' insurance pay up as the bookings were made while it was in force. Or am I just stuck with a very expensive life lesson?
    • Mark jones
    • By Mark jones 26th Apr 19, 11:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mark jones
    Be aware Moneysavingexpert recommended Travel Insurance!
    Just tried to make a claim on our disrupted Sri Lanka holiday (due to depart in 3 days), and were advised that our Money saving expert recommended Insurer - Coverwise - which we have used for a couple of years, doesn't cover Terrorism! Never tried to make a holiday insurance claim in my life, and first time i do (our 17 day tour wasn't cheap!), have discovered the insure cover is inadequate.
    Come on Martin Lewis - don't recommend inadequate providers.......
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 26th Apr 19, 11:06 AM
    • 13,320 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Be aware Moneysavingexpert recommended Travel Insurance!
    Just tried to make a claim on our disrupted Sri Lanka holiday (due to depart in 3 days), and were advised that our Money saving expert recommended Insurer - Coverwise - which we have used for a couple of years, doesn't cover Terrorism! Never tried to make a holiday insurance claim in my life, and first time i do (our 17 day tour wasn't cheap!), have discovered the insure cover is inadequate.
    Come on Martin Lewis - don't recommend inadequate providers.......
    Originally posted by Mark jones

It is just possible that this is a call centre worker misunderstanding the issue...

The immediate cause for the claim is a change in official advice: cover for terrorism would mean taking care of you if you were injured or suffered loss in an attack.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 26th Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    • 13,320 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I have a holiday booked to Sri Lanka later this year. I booked our flights, hotels, tours etc. independently over the last 6 months or so. I normally have an annual trip insurance which expired on 22nd April and I am currently in the process of renewing it - life got in the way and I now am in a 'cover gap'. I assume the 'new' insurance (booked today) will not pay up for the canellation as the FCO advice came out before the cover was taken up, but will the 'old' insurance pay up as the bookings were made while it was in force. Or am I just stuck with a very expensive life lesson?
    Originally posted by bittenbythetravelbug

I cannot imagine that your insurance would cover you for a holiday booked for after the insurance expired. I think your first step should be to contact your airline and ask if they will allow you to change the destination of your flights, and if your hotels are part of an international chain ask them as well.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 26th Apr 19, 12:14 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Due to travel to Sri Lanka and Nepal on 6/5 for three weeks.

Tour operator has cancelled the tour and is offering no alternative or refund.

Insurance say the TO should be refunding ....

Any thoughts on next steps ?
    Originally posted by Malccornelius

Your insurer is correct. It may be a miscommunication from the Tour Operator, who is it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,941Posts Today

7,538Users online

Martin's Twitter