Booked a holiday to Sri Lanka? Your rights after terror attacks - MSE News

124»

Comments

• I also had been looking for the insurance and not arranged, and then the attacks happened and knew I wont be covered now. I have spoken to Qatar ( who I booked with) you can cancel at moment with a cancellation fee for August or change at an additional fare. People booked up to 15 May can cancel / change within 500mile radius destination for free. He suggested waiting - meanwhile holidays and flights are going up elsewhere
  • I also have a package trip booked for July, I want to cancel but have been told I will lose my deposit. I also paid by credit card but they say they will not refund and money either. It seems unfair that I should suffer financially due to no fault of my own, I do not want to go on holiday and be concerned about terrorists all the time. Not what I call a good holiday.
    Any advise would be welcome.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shawsy1955 wrote: »
    It seems unfair that I should suffer financially due to no fault of my own, I do not want to go on holiday and be concerned about terrorists all the time.
    The recent event in Sri Lanka does not make it more likely that such a thing will also happen in July. Logically, it will be less likely because various precautions and counter terrorism measures will be greatly increased, compared to when you made your booking before the event.

Unless the FCO advisory against nonessential travel persists into July, the holiday you paid a deposit on is available and there's currently no reason for a refund. As it's your own trepidation that's putting you off, contrary to the above mentioned logic, I wouldn't say that you suffer entirely due to no fault of your own.

IS leader Abubakar Al-Baghdadi has just announced that there will be further attacks, the most vulnerable targets probably being those places where an attack is least expected - so where would you choose for a holiday alternative to Sri Lanka, to be free from any concerns..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • PML
    PML Posts: 1 Newbie
    TUI and First Choice are now giving full refunds for packages booked to Sri Lanka up to 31st October 2019. I got a full refund earlier this week for a package booked in August. I had been in the week before and told I couldn’t get my deposit back for the flights but the terms on a refund have been updated.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Kuoni are saying no changes or refunds for an August holiday. :o. I'm due to pay balance today.

I would still like to go if the restriction is lifted - although I can't look forward to it because of the uncertainty. Also, it's a surprise 'once in a lifetime' trip for my husband's 50th, and he has no idea where we're going!
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The FCO advisory against all but essential travel was lifted on 6th June. Sri Lanka is open for business again :cool:

Hopefully the tour operators will start selling again and people will have the confidence to book.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    fabsaver wrote: »
    The FCO advisory against all but essential travel was lifted on 6th June. Sri Lanka is open for business again :cool:

Hopefully the tour operators will start selling again and people will have the confidence to book.

Very good news and this FCO news follows similar from other national governments.

The island and people of Sri Lanka will I am sure welcome the opportunity to have overseas visitors and tourists return. I hope consideration is given by British travellers to travel to this beautiful and diverse country once again. Returning tourism being a small part to help the people recover after the terrible atrocity.

This is the link to the FCO advice -

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family