PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EA says they have to be present at house viewing for insurance purposes

Options
I had an offer accepted on a house where the owners are separating. My viewing was with the agent. Last week I contacted a surveyor for a home buyer survey and he contacted the agent to arrange it.
He then got back in touch with me to say he was having issues, but eventually an appointment was made direct with one of the owners, as they want to be there. I wanted to join but the estate agent told me that I can't unless he is with me due to indemnity and insurance purposes. The agent can't make the survey time.
I really would like to be at the survey and have another look around/measure up, but the agent is now saying that this couple splitting up is a bit of nightmare situation. The surveyor doesn't have any other time until May so don't want to lose this slot.
If this is true about insurance, then how do online agencies like Purple Bricks deal with it? I've viewed houses before with just the owners present.
I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners. Warning bells are ringing now and I'm not sure how to proceed

Comments

• quantumlobster
    Options
    Daisy_Blue wrote: »
    I had an offer accepted on a house where the owners are separating. My viewing was with the agent. Last week I contacted a surveyor for a home buyer survey and he contacted the agent to arrange it.
    He then got back in touch with me to say he was having issues, but eventually an appointment was made direct with one of the owners, as they want to be there. I wanted to join but the estate agent told me that I can't unless he is with me due to indemnity and insurance purposes. The agent can't make the survey time.
    I really would like to be at the survey and have another look around/measure up, but the agent is now saying that this couple splitting up is a bit of nightmare situation. The surveyor doesn't have any other time until May so don't want to lose this slot.
    If this is true about insurance, then how do online agencies like Purple Bricks deal with it? I've viewed houses before with just the owners present.
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners. Warning bells are ringing now and I'm not sure how to proceed
    "Indemnity and insurance"?

Sounds like a load of old pony to me.

OTOH, why do you want to be there? The surveyor won't talk to you much (if at all) whilst they're doing their surveying thing (at least, not about the house).

If you just want to measure up and/or have another viewing, you can arrange that directly with the vendor, surely?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not the done thing for you to be there when the surveyor goes round.

Go another day - not the same day.

If the EA is saying it's a nightmare, they usually underplay it, so you can guarantee there are major issues. Could one be refusing to sell? Refusing to move out?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The EA is talking a bit of nonsense, but I can't imagine the surveyor will be thrilled to have you tagging along.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners.
    Probably, it won't have anything to do with insurance anyway. Pretty normal for agents (and/or vendors) to deter further viewings after an offer has been accepted in case you get cold feet.
  • Daisy_Blue
    Daisy_Blue Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The surveyor was ok about it and I wasn't going to bother him. The advice from Martin on MSE website is to attend.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never known any person to tag on to surveyor. Are you first time buyer?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The surveyor was ok about it and I wasn't going to bother him. The advice from Martin on MSE website is to attend.
    Yup, he does indeed
    :eek:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/house-buying-guide/

I would change that to 'speak with the surveyor on the phone after they've visited'. But definitely don't agree with :money: about accompanying them!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Daisy_Blue
    Daisy_Blue Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes. I didn't realise it wasn't the done thing. I just thought if I'm paying then why shouldn't I be there?
    Thanks to everyone for confirmation about the insurance part.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just thought if I'm paying then why shouldn't I be there?
    You're paying him for his report.

Do you want to sit in the office with him while he writes it up, too?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners.

You are buying the property. That's all that matters. I never met the owners of several properties that I've bought over the years. There's no need to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure