PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EA says they have to be present at house viewing for insurance purposes

Options
13»

Comments

• DavyJones61
    Options
    Do you sit with the mechanic when you get your car MOTd

The place where I get my car MOT'd lets you watch, they will even show you the corrosion on the underneath of the car while it is on the ramp.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Do you sit with the mechanic when you get your car MOTd or serviced? ;)

I am always present when my car has its MOT, there is a dedicated viewing area completely open to the testing bay
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Albala
    Albala Posts: 310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd let the surveyor do their thing without my presence, I think.They should be willing to discuss things with you further when you get their report if anything bothers you. We had a Building Survey rather than a HB report, and we told the surveyor in advance of some specific concerns we had and things we thought we might do to the building in the future, so the surveyor included those things in their report, in our case, with no extra charge.

If a sale is tricky, and with divorcing sellers it can be very tricky indeed, you don't need any extra complications. An unwilling party can play havoc with a survey if they put their mind to it, believe me. An extra person there in the form of yourself won't make it any easier for the willing seller and the surveyor to negotiate access.

However, I would press the agent about the sellers. Do they both want to sell, did they both agree to your offer, are they both conducting the sale or has one of them been granted sole conduct of sale by a court, may it even need to go back to court again to get your offer approved...etc. That sort of sale can get very difficult, and the more you know, well, forewarned is forearmed.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am always present when my car has its MOT, there is a dedicated viewing area completely open to the testing bay
    Not a fair analogy.

By law, MOT stations have to have a customer viewing area.

The place where I get my car MOT'd lets you watch, they will even show you the corrosion on the underneath of the car while it is on the ramp.
    1) I bet they do that after they've finished the MOT, not during?
    2) that is nothing to do with the MOT - that is them trying to get you to book your car in to have the corrosion repaired......
  • Daisy_Blue
    Daisy_Blue Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As an update to this the survey was done but I still haven't been for my measure up viewing as one half of the vendor couple is being difficult at allowing access.
    So I'm still proceeding, but with concerns over whether this purchase will actually happen. But I guess that's another thread.
  • Albala
    Albala Posts: 310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a very tricky situation. I really would try, as discreetly and tactfully as possible, to find out from the EA what the situation is legally re the sale- not asking anything personal about the vendors, that's absolutely not your business of course, but whether there is a court order to sell, for instance, and whether the willing party has sole conduct of the sale, or whether the other vendor may be able to throw a spanner in the works at any point, and what the willing seller plans to do if they do that.
    You may need a lot of patience for this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure