Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your advice.

I have a diploma in nursing studies which I studied for from 1992 - 1995. Then I studied modules part time from 2004 - 2006 to add to my diploma to gain a BSc. Does that mean I am entitled to the maintenance loan?

Thanks.
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    No because you already have an honours degree.

Do you have Bsc or BSc (Hons); that may make a difference. Ed-1?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Schwerpunkt
    Options
    It is her responsibility to tell her payroll (through a starter checklist) which plan type loan(s) she has. The default if this isn't filled in is plan 1.

Her payroll appear to have received an SL1 from HMRC which overrides whatever she has told them.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Her payroll appear to have received an SL1 from HMRC which overrides whatever she has told them.

When did she take out her first loan?
  • Kes76
    Options
    Can you tell me if then student loans are calculated on a parents basic wage or inclusive of overtime, expenses etc?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Kes76 wrote: »
    Can you tell me if then student loans are calculated on a parents basic wage or inclusive of overtime, expenses etc?

Including overtime, the figure that's in the P60
  • Robins123
    Options
    Hi all,

I wonder if you would have any guidance on this.

I studied with the OU on first year university distance learning courses which were funded by my parents, it was working towards an Open Degree not in a named subject. I did not complete the degree course.

I'm now 29 and would like to return to higher education and complete a degree but would like to study elsewhere as I don't feel distance learning is for me any longer. Would I still be eligible for a student loan at this time.

Many Thanks in advance.
  • Schwerpunkt
    Options
    When did she take out her first loan?

She has finally managed to talk to somebody at SLC who has fixed the problem rather than fobbing her off.
  • c4m3r0n
    Options
    Hi, wondering if you can help please? I am doing a post graduate degree through a private company, which is validated by a university. I am dyslexic and found out very late in my undergraduate degree, and was told not to apply (by assessor). However, when doing the postgraduate, I applied. I don't have a student number and explained that my degree is only validated by a university not run by them. I was successful in DSA support, which has been amazing (after 1st two applications were lost by SLC).
    However, when applying again for the last year, I was told that not only do I not qualify for support, that the money needs to be repaid for the previous year. I have failed a stage 1 appeal. I applied for a stage 2 appeal and went through another stage 1 appeal.
    Would you be able to give me any advice on how to appeal please? I don't understand how, with the same information, I can be accepted one year and not the next.
    Thanks
  • arc1699
    Options
    I've been asked to update my employment details. I am not in full time employment but I sometimes work for my mum. I don't have a paye reference number. If I say I'm supported by a third party, bank statements are required as evidence. My mum pays me minimum wage for a few hours a week so I'm worried they think I'm lying as the bank statement will look like I have a wage.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    arc1699 wrote: »
    I've been asked to update my employment details. I am not in full time employment but I sometimes work for my mum. I don't have a paye reference number. If I say I'm supported by a third party, bank statements are required as evidence. My mum pays me minimum wage for a few hours a week so I'm worried they think I'm lying as the bank statement will look like I have a wage.
    Has your mum checked whether she should be formally employing you and making returns to HMRC? If she's paying you more than £116 per week, she almost certainly does. There's a checklist here.

Unless you have the same amount going in every week, why would it look as if as you have a wage?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure