Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think they reassessed me as I already have. BSc with Honours.

So no you are not entitled to any funding. You are entitled to funding for your first degree only, even if your first degree was done without funding.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think they reassessed me as I already have. BSc with Honours.

And what course were you applying for funding for?
  • vaibhavkapoor
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to write about this much needed subject.:T
  • LDHarv
    LDHarv Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello,

Hoping someone can help me!

I’ve always paid my student loan direct through my pay since I have graduated and started working. I’m 30 now and recently changed jobs (November). I assumed that I would continue paying back In the same manner but nothing has been taken on my payslip for Student Loans. This goes for November, December and now January.

What should I do? I’m very happy not paying haha but don’t want to have issues down the line. I certainly can’t afford to pay anything back that has been missed, through no fault of my own, and I haven’t said anything different than to continue taking payments direct from my pay. Has anyone ever heard of them asking for missed payments? What is the advice – leave it, contact my HR/payroll or the student loans company directly?

Thanks for any advice
  • lesleyhinton
    Options
    My grandson is in his second term at Bangor University, his loan is not covering his accommodation and so he is getting demands for money so far £2500, which he does not have they have also cut off his internet so he cannot do his work, his mother is a single parent with 4 children she does work full time, but cannot afford to supplement her son I have tried to speak on his behalf with student loan people and its getting us no where I believe he is being penalised, this is an absolute travesty he is desperate to remain at university but it looks like he will just have to come home but now with a load of debt I have called the finance people and whereas a fortnight ago they accepted my details as consent to share today they tell me they are wrong, from what I can understand the wrong forms was filled in and this is why he is being penalised but I am at a loss now, and at the end of the day its loan which will be paid back but in his case they are demanding all the money up front
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,994 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    LDHarv wrote: »
    Hello,

Hoping someone can help me!

I’ve always paid my student loan direct through my pay since I have graduated and started working. I’m 30 now and recently changed jobs (November). I assumed that I would continue paying back In the same manner but nothing has been taken on my payslip for Student Loans. This goes for November, December and now January.

What should I do? I’m very happy not paying haha but don’t want to have issues down the line. I certainly can’t afford to pay anything back that has been missed, through no fault of my own, and I haven’t said anything different than to continue taking payments direct from my pay. Has anyone ever heard of them asking for missed payments? What is the advice – leave it, contact my HR/payroll or the student loans company directly?

Thanks for any advice

Contact HR/ Payroll, it may be as simple as a box not being ticked.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,994 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My grandson is in his second term at Bangor University, his loan is not covering his accommodation and so he is getting demands for money so far £2500, which he does not have they have also cut off his internet so he cannot do his work, his mother is a single parent with 4 children she does work full time, but cannot afford to supplement her son I have tried to speak on his behalf with student loan people and its getting us no where I believe he is being penalised, this is an absolute travesty he is desperate to remain at university but it looks like he will just have to come home but now with a load of debt I have called the finance people and whereas a fortnight ago they accepted my details as consent to share today they tell me they are wrong, from what I can understand the wrong forms was filled in and this is why he is being penalised but I am at a loss now, and at the end of the day its loan which will be paid back but in his case they are demanding all the money up front

He needs to look at what grant/ loan he has received. In particular, whether he has received the full amount or only the non-means tested amount.

If you want an estimate of the amount he should have received, please say whether he is applying to the welsh student loan body or the english. (I realise he is studying in Wales, but his home/ parental address makes a difference to the application and the amount.)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    He needs to look at what grant/ loan he has received. In particular, whether he has received the full amount or only the non-means tested amount.

If you want an estimate of the amount he should have received, please say whether he is applying to the welsh student loan body or the english. (I realise he is studying in Wales, but his home/ parental address makes a difference to the application and the amount.)

Also there will be a welfare office probably within the Students Union who may be able to help with this, perhaps even with a supplementary loan to tide him over until this is sorted out.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LDHarv
    LDHarv Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks!

Checked my form and I completed it correctly so it would seem this is something they've not done correctly.
  • danny_c
    danny_c Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

Hoping you can help me out with this.

I'm looking to start a BSc degree in April at the University of London. This is a distance learning course, described as a flexible online course taking a minimum of three years, and a maximum of six years (I plan to complete it in three).

I've had student loans in the past, all of which have been paid off completely. I'm in my 40s, and have a well paid job but, with a wife, two young children, and a mortgage, I don't have the kind of disposable income where I could just pay for this course (around £15K) without any help.

So, firstly, would I be eligible for a student loan to pay for the course fees? If so, when would I need to start paying that back. Also if so, would I be better off just trying to find a low APR lenders loan?

Many thanks in advance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure