New Year New Diary :)

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 16 January 2019 at 10:58AM in Debt free diaries
Hello fellow MSE'rs.

I umm'd and ahh'd about creating a new diary to replace the old one, but so much happened last year between the start of my diary and now that my debt didn't really go down much (bought a car, wrote off a car, bought a new car, christmas, etc) so I thought I would start fresh with this new one, to actually record the debt going down.

Debt is circa 5k, between various cards and short term loans all of which are being paid off monthly and gradually decreasing, so the main focus is making extra money, having lots of No Spend Days, and splitting the extra money between over-payments to debts and putting money into an emergency fund.

I'm currently taking part in quite a few debt free challenges - pay off your debt by Christmas '19, Sealed Pot Challenge, 1 debt vs 100 days, make £10 a day challenge and the NSD challenge. Each of these challenges make the world of difference, all of the encouragement goes a long way!

So this is just a quick hello (again) from me, a hello to anyone new reading and a big hello and big sorry (for starting afresh) to anyone who was reading the whole diary - it's like the good feeling of starting a new journal with all of the blank pages to fill, but online.

Here's to debt-busting! :beer:

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy New Diary. I am considering doing the same. A fresh start might help me refocus. Thanks for the nudge!
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Lucifa73 wrote: »
    Happy New Diary. I am considering doing the same. A fresh start might help me refocus. Thanks for the nudge!

Thank you both! (That was my hope, to refocus and move forward with a clean slate!)

Tasks for the week ahead:

-Progress with matched betting (I have set aside a pot, and am not adding to that, I will just continue to use the funds I set aside and take out money for savings/over-payments when I can do so and still leave a little profit in the pot)
    -Finally get around to taking the £3 in old £1 coins into my bank to pay in
    -Reply to pension company confirming details of pension I am transferring in
    -Try meditation
    -Hunt down more change to put into the sealed pot

Small tasks this week, not much I can do money-wise other than what I am already doing! I hope to be back here on Friday afternoon striking through all of those tasks :j

x
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started meditation just over a year ago using the 'Calm' app. It is really great. It also does bedtime stories which really help me when I can't fall asleep. I have yet to hear more than the first few minutes of one...
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lucifa73 wrote: »
    I started meditation just over a year ago using the 'Calm' app. It is really great. It also does bedtime stories which really help me when I can't fall asleep. I have yet to hear more than the first few minutes of one...

This has just reminded me that I actually have that app on my phone, typical me having never gotten around to using it! :wall:I have no excuses now not to try it this week :D
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    This has just reminded me that I actually have that app on my phone, typical me having never gotten around to using it! :wall:I have no excuses now not to try it this week :D

I cancelled mine as you had to pay for it :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Shiny new diary! I have also umm'd and ahh'd about it but think I will defo start one when I'm more settled. Time for a fresh start and renewed focus to actually debt bust (my diary is not actually dfd but just a diary at this point :rotfl:)

Carrying on from your last diary - I'm glad this will be the last month of juggling for you! It can make things so stressful and just one tiny thing going wrong can wreck the whole chain. Hope things get smoother/ easier asap!
    I just see all the jobs in the areas I could work in that have the hours I do, or the money I make now, and it's all "experience" "experience" "experience"
    That's a bit pants... It's such a vicious circle. Can't get a new job without experience, can't get experience without a new job :eek: Good idea getting OH involved in the challenge. It may be worth just putting yourself out there anyway, even for jobs you may not have the *exact* experience for. If you have any free time (which I doubt very much as you're always so busy!) have a look at Coursera. It's a website that has free courses on a pretty broad range of topics. If there's any specific field you're looking at going into you could do a course with them for a wee bit of experience. Wouldn't be the same as practical experience but would show you're a go - getter/ committed.

Good luck with matched betting! I was quite interested in it and made a good bit of profit, but then I needed the money. I didn't really have enough spare cash to keep as a float when I tried so gave up on it. It is something I would consider again if I had any spare money!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I cancelled mine as you had to pay for it :(

Oh, really? I haven't even looked at it yet so didn't realise that!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    lonelyrat wrote: »
    That's a bit pants... It's such a vicious circle. Can't get a new job without experience, can't get experience without a new job :eek: Good idea getting OH involved in the challenge. It may be worth just putting yourself out there anyway, even for jobs you may not have the *exact* experience for. If you have any free time (which I doubt very much as you're always so busy!) have a look at Coursera. It's a website that has free courses on a pretty broad range of topics. If there's any specific field you're looking at going into you could do a course with them for a wee bit of experience. Wouldn't be the same as practical experience but would show you're a go - getter/ committed.

Good luck with matched betting! I was quite interested in it and made a good bit of profit, but then I needed the money. I didn't really have enough spare cash to keep as a float when I tried so gave up on it. It is something I would consider again if I had any spare money!

I've seen one I want to apply for! If I do by some miracle get offered an interview it'll be tricky to arrange as I work by myself so have no one to cover me, but I'm sure I can sort something if it happens!

Thank you for the heads up on the courses :o

It took me a while to build up the float, my plan is to keep a little extra in each month, but anything other than that extra gets split between savings and an overpayment (or in the case of this month, a little extra spending money for my holiday)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SSDD23 wrote: »

Tasks for the week ahead:

-Progress with matched betting (I have set aside a pot, and am not adding to that, I will just continue to use the funds I set aside and take out money for savings/over-payments when I can do so and still leave a little profit in the pot) I should end the week at least £30 up, hopefully more depending on when money moves around :)
    -Finally get around to taking the £3 in old £1 coins into my bank to pay in
    -[STRIKE]Reply to pension company confirming details of pension I am transferring in[/STRIKE] posting today
    -[STRIKE]Try meditation[/STRIKE] tried a session on the Calm app yesterday, will try and squeeze in another today
    -Hunt down more change to put into the sealed pot - rummaged a few times and found extra change but still many more days in the week!x

A productive start to the week so far!

I will be meeting my nan and great aunt for lunch today on my lunch break, my great aunt has not long got back from visiting my mum in Australia so it will be nice to see her.

Miserable weather today, it took a full hour to get to work which is the longest it has taken since I moved. I had a bad feeling before I left and just remembered randomly about my crash, and then as I got to the spot where it happened is where all of the standstill traffic had backed up to :rotfl: intuition is funny sometimes! It took me over half an hour to do less than 4 miles, I was still sat in standstill traffic at 7:40 about ten miles out of town so had accepted I wouldn't be at work for 8, but fortunately it got moving and my lane of the motorway that I expected to be congested was clear so I got here only 4/5 minutes late which I will count as a win!

Odd jobs I need to do but they can wait until tomorrow, I need to pay in my £1 coins and post off a parcel on tomorrow's lunch hour. Fortunately I add a 1-2 day delay for posting so I always have a little bit of wiggle room :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure