Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Anthony S
    • By MSE Anthony S 8th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Anthony S
    After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise? 8th Jan 19 at 10:32 AM
    That's it for this week, but before we go... it’s Veganuary (pronounced vee-gan-uary) where people are encouraged to try eating vegan for the month.

Some restaurants have announced a batch of new vegan-friendly food which has received a rather mixed response. Greggs last week released a vegan sausage roll, McDonald’s has announced a new vegan menu, while Pizza Hut has a new vegan pizza.

Whether you’re vegan or not, what if anything would you like to see veganised? Or what’s the best vegan version you’ve seen or tasted? Let us know below.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-01-2019 at 1:09 PM.
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    • 27,387 Posts
    • 58,438 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 8th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?
    The world!!!

Seriously, I'd love to see a vegan milk that actually behaves and tastes like milk in tea and coffee.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 9,770 Thanks
    Living proof
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    I would like more carveries offering a nut roast or a seitan roast. So many times I can only have falafel with steam veg and get charged a silly amount for it. I can hardly ever find a vegan sandwich on my travels.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 33,411 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    Marmite cashew nuts. Do they really need milk?
    Weight loss 2019 2 lbs
    January '19 GC £109.98/£200.00
    Freezer shop fund £15 Celebration fund £15
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 8th Jan 19, 5:31 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:31 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:31 PM
    Marmite cashew nuts. Do they really need milk?
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    No whey! I seriously think sometimes milk is put in crisps etc just to test me (>.<)
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter & Facebook to grab the latest MSE Deals.
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 8th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    I would like more carveries offering a nut roast or a seitan roast. So many times I can only have falafel with steam veg and get charged a silly amount for it. I can hardly ever find a vegan sandwich on my travels.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    I've been toying with the idea of writing a blog about the best vegan meal deals, eg, Boots, WHSmith, M&S, Waitrose etc... is that something you'd like to see, or you think would be helpful?
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 8th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    I would love that Rhiannon. I've been toying with going vegan, vegetarian I can do as I have before, but I'm heavy on dairy and would love ways to chose better options.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 3.6k personal savings --- Family Loan paid 6167.98/ 10K
    Pay debt by Xmas 2019 #81: 167.98/4K
    2019 1% challenge #18= 4.2%
    • --Tony--
    • By --Tony-- 9th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    --Tony--
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    What are your thoughts on this?
    A vegan burger with added beetroot juice so it bleeds when you cut into it, why? A turn off for most?
    I don't even get why vegan food needs to resemble an animal product but fake blood?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97709/bleeding-vegan-burger-arrives-in-uk-supermarkets
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 19, 2:24 AM
    • 27,387 Posts
    • 58,438 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 9th Jan 19, 2:24 AM
    • 9th Jan 19, 2:24 AM
    A vegan burger with added beetroot juice so it bleeds when you cut into it, why? A turn off for most?
    I don't even get why vegan food needs to resemble an animal product but fake blood?
    Originally posted by --Tony--
    This was on Mary Portas' show last week and looked utterly disgusting.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Jan 19, 5:37 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    unforeseen

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97709/bleeding-vegan-burger-arrives-in-uk-supermarkets
    Why? I wouldn't touch a meat burger with blood still dripping out of it so fail to see the attraction of a burger with fake 'blood' dripping out of it.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 9th Jan 19, 8:59 AM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 2,366 Thanks
    rach_k

I don't particularly like things like that but I see why some people do. Many people are vegan for health reasons or because they think it's wrong to use animals. That isn't the same thing as thinking meat is disgusting to eat, so they could easily miss the taste, texture and look of meat. If making vegan burgers bleed means they will happily eat that rather than beef, I'm all for it.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 9th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 2,366 Thanks
    rach_k
    Whether you’re vegan or not, what if anything would you like to see veganised? Or what’s the best vegan version you’ve seen or tasted? Let us know below.
    Originally posted by MSE Anthony S
    I'm very lucky to live near Coughlans bakeries, which have slowly been making their standard products vegan as well as adding new vegan things too. I wish more places would do the same and cut out animal products from items that don't need them. Unless it's a feature of the product, I'd like random animal bits gone from everything.
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 9th Jan 19, 9:33 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    I would love that Rhiannon. I've been toying with going vegan, vegetarian I can do as I have before, but I'm heavy on dairy and would love ways to chose better options.
    Originally posted by a_silver_lining
    If you live near a Tesco or Asda, their 'own-brand' (it's Scheese in another style of packaging!) hard and soft dairy-free cheeses are really similar to the dairy versions. My favourites are the smoked cheese block - it melts really well for cheese on toast, grates nicely for pizza, and slices well for cheese on crackers Also, the garlic and herbs soft cheese is so similar to something like Boursin I couldn't eat it for the longest time because it's 'too real'

If you're looking for cheap dairy-free milk, Aldi do 59p soy milk and 99p almond milk, I enjoy soy in tea and almond milk on cereal. The cheapest almond milk I've seen is 39p a litre from Poundstretcher, believe it or not! They also have a dairy-free and vegan version of Ferrero Rocher (peanuts not hazelnuts though) and a raspberry or mint dark chocolate bar which tastes like a Bounty in a pack of five for about £1! I get all my vegan/gluten free rice cakes from Home Bargains, plain go nicely with the above cheese and they're only 39p a pack.

That's most of my cheapy vegan hacks How many blogs can I write on it?
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Jan 19, 9:48 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 8,342 Thanks
    MandM90
    DH travels for work and find eating out super easy now. He can find a sandwich/ready meals/soups in any big supermarket and there tends to be options in most restaurants.

What I wish they could veganise is a fried egg with a gooey middle. And chorizo. I tried a fake chorizo a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed, but perhaps it's moved on.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Jan 19, 11:31 AM
    • 9,346 Posts
    • 22,202 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    If you live near a Tesco or Asda, their 'own-brand' (it's Scheese in another style of packaging!) hard and soft dairy-free cheeses are really similar to the dairy versions. My favourites are the smoked cheese block - it melts really well for cheese on toast, grates nicely for pizza, and slices well for cheese on crackers Also, the garlic and herbs soft cheese is so similar to something like Boursin I couldn't eat it for the longest time because it's 'too real'

If you're looking for cheap dairy-free milk, Aldi do 59p soy milk and 99p almond milk, I enjoy soy in tea and almond milk on cereal. The cheapest almond milk I've seen is 39p a litre from Poundstretcher, believe it or not! They also have a dairy-free and vegan version of Ferrero Rocher (peanuts not hazelnuts though) and a raspberry or mint dark chocolate bar which tastes like a Bounty in a pack of five for about £1! I get all my vegan/gluten free rice cakes from Home Bargains, plain go nicely with the above cheese and they're only 39p a pack.

That's most of my cheapy vegan hacks How many blogs can I write on it?
    Originally posted by MSE Rhiannon
    I didn't know about the 39p almond milk in Poundstretcher. Thank you!!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Maat
    • By Maat 9th Jan 19, 11:47 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    Maat
    Vegan cheeses can be interesting so it's worth investigating a few different ones to find those you like.

Milk in tea and coffee used to be an issue. Some recommend coconut or oat milk or even nut or oat cream. Oatly's products are fabulous. As well as their cream and a lovely creme fraiche, they do a Barrista version of their oat milk which is supposed to be great in tea and coffee. The other alternative is your plant milk of choice which you heat in the microwave (don't let it boil) before putting it in your drink. That stops it curdling. Like with the cheeses, it's worth trying different ones until you find those you like. Schlagfix do a lovely range of creams and even sets of mini milk cartons you can carry around with you. Soyatoo do really nice squirty cream as well (great on Gaelic coffees). These last two firms can sometimes be found at independent health food stores, although I generally buy them online. I believe a couple of the supermarkets have started doing squirty vegan creams now, though.

Alpro and Swedish Glace do vegan ice creams, while some supermarket ice desserts as well as a few of the Ben & Jerry's range are vegan too. Food Heaven do a gorgeous range of ice creams as well as (I think it's the same brand) a vegan cheesecake (which I once had a whole one of for my dinner!)

It's worth taking a look not just at the Alpro and other vegan yogurts but in supermarkets' 'free from chilled' section (sometimes quite a small section). Tesco do beautiful creme caramels, for instance.

It's also worth perusing the supermarkets' websites as they all have a filter for 'vegan' products. Saves looking at every label.

For anyone wanting to try Veganuary Viva do a great 30 day pledge. I was vegan long before they started this but other people I've recommended it to have found it really helpful: https://30dayvegan.viva.org.uk/

The other bit of advice I have is to get on social media. Join vegan groups. You do get the occasional judgemental twerp who might have a go if you want to go vegan at your own pace (there are jerks in every field of life). But most are like me, who've been in your position and needed help making the transition and so are very willing to help others. I'd be happy to answer any questions on this forum, too, if I can.

As for the original question, I'd make everything vegan too. Fantastic food with a clear conscience. If I have to choose only one, though, I'll go for vegan maltesers. We have every other kind of treat you can think of but not that yet.
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 9th Jan 19, 4:18 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    If I have to choose only one, though, I'll go for vegan maltesers. We have every other kind of treat you can think of but not that yet.
    Originally posted by Maat
    I'VE HAD VEGAN MALTESERS! When I was in Iceland (sorry not the shop, the country!) they have a local version of Maltesers you can get in dark chocolate which were amazing I have also had them at a vegan event, I think TheVeganKind might have them? They're called Landgarten Organic Dark Choco Balls - have a look
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 19, 6:27 PM
    • 27,387 Posts
    • 58,438 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Milk in tea and coffee used to be an issue. Some recommend coconut or oat milk or even nut or oat cream. Oatly's products are fabulous. As well as their cream and a lovely creme fraiche, they do a Barrista version of their oat milk which is supposed to be great in tea and coffee. The other alternative is your plant milk of choice which you heat in the microwave (don't let it boil) before putting it in your drink. That stops it curdling.
    Originally posted by Maat
    Thank you, I'll give it a go! Amazing post btw.

I was vegan for a year - we're going back 10 years or so - but I went back to being a veggie for several reasons. One was the tea / coffee issue as I couldn't find a substitute I actually liked - meaning that I ended up drinking G&T socially rather than a latte. The second and bigger reason was that I just couldn't physically eat enough to get the required amount of calcium and iron in my diet. I felt healthy but was miserable having to think about how to eat the right balance of nutrients all the time.

• Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Jan 19, 7:58 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I'd love to see a vegan milk that actually behaves and tastes like milk in tea and coffee.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yes, nut water isn’t very satisfactory in coffee.
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 9th Jan 19, 8:15 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 17,807 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Originally posted by a_silver_lining
    Theres some time artisan cheeses such as Tyne and I think the other is called Nutcrafter. I haven't been fortunate enough to try them yet.

I can't think of what I wish was vegan,probably most things are available its just having access to it or a case of it being launched in this country!?
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan £95.69/£200
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

167Posts Today

1,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin