We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Christmas spend for each child this Christmas

Options

Comments

• Poppy1984
    Options
    My sons birthday is Christmas Eve. I've saved all year and have £500 to spend on him for his birthday and Christmas it's such a lot of money but I won't get a lot for it. This will be the first year I've ever only used my savings as in the past I have always boosted presents with my next and very account by now pay later. But I've been trying to get out of debt so I have paid those both off now and closed the accounts. I am honestly worried that what I saved won't stretch far enough.
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Our adult kids get around £300 each spent on main presents and £50 on small stocking fillers. I ask them what they want and buy that and then add on a couple of surprise presents. They have to be pushed a for a gift list as they don't 'need' anything, much like the rest of us I suppose!

I start in August for my nieces and nephews children ( we stop buying when they turn 18) and I usually stick to a budget of £15 per child. As there are 9 of them that soon mounts up. My DH and I spend about £150 each on each other but again, always on what we know the other one actually wants!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    For my shame I've spent £48 on advent calendars for the 8 year old - Lego and Smiggle. The Lego one this year is mini Christmas ornaments and I've bought a mini, wooden Skandi tree to put them on. That was another £30 :o

I spent £4 on an advent calendar for my son - he may be 26 but he's still my baby.

Will only get him a few token things as we've bought him loads of stuff throughout the year for his home.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    I don't have kids but I have 3 nephews who all live in the States. I used to spend about £20 on each of them as I had to take in to consideration the cost of posting the gifts and I had to be mindful of what I bought as it had to be easy to post.

They're now in their late teens and early twenties so I have stopped buying them gifts. The eldest 2 are at Uni in the UK now so instead I meet up with them when I can and buy them lunch or dinner or if there is something they might need then we will go shopping.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Golightly72
    Options
    I have 3 kids, and have a budget of £200 per child at Christmas, which I do stick too.

Mine are all teenagers though, they do seem to get more expensive as they get older!

To be fair, they only get phones or branded items at Christmas or their birthdays, not throughout the year. I save for it and am happy with the amount.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2018 at 10:14AM
    Options
    2 kids and £175 will not go very far in this day and age tbh. We do one 'main' present and lots of little stuff.

My lad wants a new phone, a semi-decent one is around £200. A wrapped phone does not look much, so by the time you've 'bulked' it out, we are looking at around £350 - £400 per child.

Last years presents, although the boy was a big spend due to wanting a gaming pc :(.

Girl:

IPad – was £329 got for £256
    IPad case - £9 was £19.99
    Shower party - £5
    Minecraft lamp - £6
    Zoella book and cushion - £30
    Unicorn nail dryer - £8
    Unicorn lights - £8
    Unicorn slippers - £13
    Unicorn mug £10
    Make up brush set - £4 was £8
    Bath bombs - £10 was £15
    Truth Bomb - £15
    Shout 12 month subscription - £41 + Christmas cracker
    Calendar 2018 Dan and Phil + other stuff - £29
    Make up sponges - £2 was £7
    Zoella stuff £15
    Make up bag - £9
    Sleep Mask - £7
    Vloggers and Frozen annuals - £10
    Pop Character £10

Boy:

Gaming PC - £680
    Monitor - £115
    Keyboard - £14
    HDMI Cable - £2.99
    Cat 6 Cable - £9
    Keyboard - £35
    Power adapter £15
    Game mouse £30
    Switch box - £20
    PSN - £26.99
    Minecraft lamp - £6
    Overwatch Pop character £8
    Socks - £4
    Destiny 2 Calendar - £10
    Razor kit - £8
    Beano 12 month subscription - £15 was £30
    Simpsons and Beano annual - £7
    Pop Character £10
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My children are grown up now but still end up having a fair bit spent on them as we go all out at Christmas :) The biggest expense this year is a hotel stay :j

When it said children, I didn’t think of my child, who is grown up now lol. I thought of real children, my grandchildren.
    I spend much less on my daughter now, than when she was my dependent. I’ve bought her a nice throw she wanted for her bed (it’s beautiful) & a set of 4 of each M&S towels (4 flannels, 4 hand towels, 4 bath towels, 4 bath sheets) & some makeup (foundation, concealer, mascara & eyeshadow pallet). She’s hinting for white cotton bedding too, but I think she’s done ok this year!
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bearing in mind this is a moneysaving site, the majority of votes cast appear to be for £175 and over. Unbelievable. I wonder how many of those people will be here next year worrying about how they are going to pay their credit card bills.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Their main present is usually about £100 (may be a little more or a little less) - one is having a more expensive present this year, but his birthday is 5 days before and he's having less for his birthday (which he knows) because of what he's getting for christmas

Then there is extra on top for other presents but some of them will be things they would have got anyway - for example they all have new PJs which they get as a present on christmas eve, but I would have brought them pyjamas at some point in the year anyway, but I still count that in what I spend

Nieces/nephews etc are a lot less
  • Ivrytwr3 wrote: »
    2 kids and £175 will not go very far in this day and age tbh. We do one 'main' present and lots of little stuff.

My lad wants a new phone, a semi-decent one is around £200. A wrapped phone does not look much, so by the time you've 'bulked' it out, we are looking at around £350 - £400 per child.

Last years presents, although the boy was a big spend due to wanting a gaming pc :(.

Girl:

IPad – was £329 got for £256
    IPad case - £9 was £19.99
    Shower party - £5
    Minecraft lamp - £6
    Zoella book and cushion - £30
    Unicorn nail dryer - £8
    Unicorn lights - £8
    Unicorn slippers - £13
    Unicorn mug £10
    Make up brush set - £4 was £8
    Bath bombs - £10 was £15
    Truth Bomb - £15
    Shout 12 month subscription - £41 + Christmas cracker
    Calendar 2018 Dan and Phil + other stuff - £29
    Make up sponges - £2 was £7
    Zoella stuff £15
    Make up bag - £9
    Sleep Mask - £7
    Vloggers and Frozen annuals - £10
    Pop Character £10

Boy:

Gaming PC - £680
    Monitor - £115
    Keyboard - £14
    HDMI Cable - £2.99
    Cat 6 Cable - £9
    Keyboard - £35
    Power adapter £15
    Game mouse £30
    Switch box - £20
    PSN - £26.99
    Minecraft lamp - £6
    Overwatch Pop character £8
    Socks - £4
    Destiny 2 Calendar - £10
    Razor kit - £8
    Beano 12 month subscription - £15 was £30
    Simpsons and Beano annual - £7
    Pop Character £10
    Thank you so much for that - reading this thread I was beginning to think myself extravagant and really, I'm not.
    Only one pre-teen here and the PSOne games console alone was over £300. Then there's the games and other bits plus some Lego. It soon adds up but if I couldn't afford it then it wouldn't have been bought and there is no way would I be buying anything without having the cash to buy it and leave my savings intact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport