Harassment by debt collection agency

Avocette
Avocette Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 10 November 2018 at 10:11AM in Consumer rights
Hi, I would really appreciate your thoughts!

To cut a long story short, I was unfortunate enough to employ cowboy roofers for a fairly minor job last month. They bodged the job completely and tried to charge me £720 for less than 90 minutes' work. When I queried this the next day, they turned up on my doorstep, threatened to burn my house down unless I paid them on the spot and began dismantling the work. Terrified, I dialled 999 and the police duly arrived and forced the roofers to leave. The following day, in response to a bullying email, I told them I would not tolerate criminal threats, but if they returned and completed the promised work to a satisfactory standard I would pay them, once I had had the work checked. That was two weeks ago, and I heard nothing from them until two days ago, when I received a letter from a ‘debt recovery agency' who appear to be cowboys themselves - they're not registered with the FCA or any trade organisation that I can see, and their letter didn't even include a correspondence address. I rang this outfit and explained the situation verbally and by email, but have since received a string of emails from them claiming the original £720, plus a further £170, for themselves, was owed by me by yesterday and they will now take court action.

Clearly they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. I have two independent statements, plus photos, from other building firms, describing the bodged work. The police will verify the threats, and I have the email proving the firm were given the chance to remedy the problems. The police have also logged this further harassment by the recoveries agency. But surely they are acting illegally by continuing to harass me for a debt I clearly dispute? Is there anyone I can report them to?

I'd really appreciate any further advice on how to proceed - thanks in advance!

Comments

• Stop communicating with them and get some CCTV. This could get quite nasty.
  • The police have told me to dial 999 if anyone appears on my doorstep again, and I obviously plan to do so. My understanding is that there's no regulator for debt collection agencies in these circumstances - but surely there must be someone I can report them to?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ok, so you agreed to £720 for the job which they didn't do properly.

You have then given them the opportunity to complete the work and receive full payment which they refused.

Get 2 quotes to complete the work then get the work done.

If the quote comes to less than £720, then pay the first company the remainder. If it is more, then counter sue in court for the additional amount.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Thanks, Pinkshoes, but I've no intention of paying rogue traders who've left my roof in a worse state than it was before they arrived and threatened to burn my house down. I've already engaged another firm to sort the mess out.

What I want to be able to do is report the cowboy debt collectors acting on their behalf.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Avocette wrote: »
    Thanks, Pinkshoes, but I've no intention of paying rogue traders who've left my roof in a worse state than it was before they arrived and threatened to burn my house down. I've already engaged another firm to sort the mess out.

Then they are quite entitled to take you to court. They may not have done the job properly but they did do SOME work and no doubt used some materials.

Hence my suggestion to get a quote or two to get the work completed. If they left it in a worse state, then counter claim for the extra.

The threats are a separate police matter.
    Avocette wrote: »

What I want to be able to do is report the cowboy debt collectors acting on their behalf.

Just ignore them.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Avocette
    Avocette Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2018 at 11:06PM
    As I explained, I gave them ample opportunity to complete (or even discuss) the ‘work’ in question, and they never replied; they hired a rogue debt collector instead - after threatening to set fire to my house. It's rather odd to suggest they're entitled to anything at this stage. �� No disrespect, but I think that's rather bad advice. Nor would I dream of going through the hassle and expense of counter-claiming - I'm an honest consumer who's been ripped off, and I shouldn't have to.
  • Avocette wrote: »
    As I explained, I gave them ample opportunity to complete (or even discuss) the ‘work’ in question, and they never replied; they hired a rogue debt collector instead - after threatening to set fire to my house. It's rsther odd to suggest they're entitled to anything at this stage. �� No disrespect, but I think that's rather bad advice. Nor would I dream of going through the hassle and expense of counter-claiming - I'm an honest consumer who's been ripped off, and I shouldn't have to.

You asked for advice.
    You was given correct advice.
    You don't like that advice.

What do you actually want someone to type to save everyone else the hassle?
  • I asked for advice on where to report a rogue debt collector, if you read my original post properly. If you're not able to advise I'm wondering why you'd bother to wade in?
  • Avocette wrote: »
    I asked for advice on where to report a rogue debt collector, if you read my original post properly. If you're not able to advise I'm wondering why you'd bother to wade in?

Wow.
    Yes you did ask that, however you also said "I'd really appreciate any further advice on how to proceed".

Why didn't you just let them dismantle their work and take their materials away?

Your comment "Clearly they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court." is totally incorrect. Follow the advice by pinkshoes or this could work out quite costly for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure