PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Just given my lodger notice

Comments

• 25_Years_On
    25_Years_On Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the correct response is "okay but please let me know next time, thanks".
  • Hey everyone, I really do appreciate your comments.

I hold my hands up to being in the wrong. I did overreact, but as someone asked earlier there actually was a bit of an issue with personalities, which is why I woke up today feeling relieved that I've ended the contract.

I've had 7 lodgers previously and never had an issue with allowing them extra nights, letting friends stay over, etc. The difference in this case was that she admitted she's known since last week that she wanted extra nights but didn't tell me - just presented it as a fait accompli.

But you're all correct - the fault lies with me and I should have handled this better. Thanks for taking the time to set me right.
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • OP.
    You seem to have considered 2 options:
    Allow the five nights or offer 'matching orders'.

Personally I would have given due consideration to the former.

But what about option 3...
    "Sorry it's not as per our agreement but I'm happy for you to continue with the agreed days..."
  • So, I have a question for you all.

I'm thinking that I should say something to her, along the lines of "I believe I've overreacted and I'm genuinely sorry for that", (but not asking her to stay because I don't want that).

Would you let sleeping dogs lie or would you admit fault, apologise, and wish her all the best? If so, how would you say it?
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    So, I have a question for you all.

I'm thinking that I should say something to her, along the lines of "I believe I've overreacted and I'm genuinely sorry for that", (but not asking her to stay because I don't want that).

Would you let sleeping dogs lie or would you admit fault, apologise, and wish her all the best? If so, how would you say it?

There's no point if you still want her to go.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If it will make you sleep better, I'd sugegst something like what you said "I believe I've overreacted and I'm genuinely sorry for that but we do seem to be different personalities that dont get along so its for the best we dont continue this arrangement, I wish you well""
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    If it will make you sleep better, I'd sugegst something like what you said "I believe I've overreacted and I'm genuinely sorry for that but we do seem to be different personalities that dont get along so its for the best we dont continue this arrangement, I wish you well""

I think that will 'help' the OP more than the lodger. I'd rather be asked to leave for a silly contractual wobble than to bring up a personality clash she may not be aware of...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Total over-reaction.

It might've been more sensible to just say "We had a 3 day agreement .... so I'll be charging you the extra £100 this week" ....

But what's done's done. She probably feels "well out of it".
  • I have re-read the original post.

I don't see a demand, only a request with some context about why the request was made.

No contractual wobble unless the contract did forbid any requests. The lodger should be rightly peeved...
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think that will 'help' the OP more than the lodger. I'd rather be asked to leave for a silly contractual wobble than to bring up a personality clash she may not be aware of...

Oh yes, this is all about the OP, thats why I said "if it will help you sleep better". Hopefully the lodger is fully cognizant the OP was a twit and doesn't feel bad herself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure