Indian Transit Visa

Hi There,

Has anyone travelled via India before?

I have a transit flight in Delhi on my way to kathmandu and cannot for the life of me figure out if I need a Visa.

The UK gov website says I do, but the Indian site it links to doesn't seem to have any specific applications for transit Visas.

I'm flying with the same airline (air india) all the way there, but I have a lenghty layover in Delhi.

2 things I want to avoid are...being sent back OR being stuck in a tiny area of Delhi airport for 9 hours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost tempted to get an e-visa for rpeace of mind, but I know that's one step too far in the other direction!

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The standard advice is, ask your airline, but you are taking Air India.

Anyway, most airline web sites link to the international database on visa requirements, and that should tell you.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Curls2208 wrote: »
    Has anyone travelled via India before?

Did the 200+ threads on travel to/via India here already not give you a hint..?
  • Voyager2002
    pogofish wrote: »
    Did the 200+ threads on travel to/via India here already not give you a hint..?

I don't think any of them address this particular question.

In most cases one can follow clues such as these and then use common sense to work out the answer, but Indian bureaucracy works in ways that defy any kind of reason. And of course the rules change...

For instance, I am fairly confident that three years ago no visa was required if you remained in the international transit area of your Indian airport. I do not know if that is still the case today.

What I can confidently assert is that you can obtain a transit visa from VFS global: it is valid for a stay of up to three days (so is what you would need to leave the airport) and appears to cost about 70 pounds. (One website says that it costs US$881, but that is probably a mistake -- although with India you never know.)
  • Curls2208
    Curls2208 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I find the forum very difficult to navigate if I'm honest, I don't see the harm in posting a thread if I'll get a good honest reply, I just have to ignore the sarcastic ones. I really appreciate the responses guys. So I'll contact the airline then, that's all I needed to know.

Anyway, for regular travellers it may seem like a stupid question. But I am definitely not one and I've never done an airport transfer before so thank you for the advice.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    y.

What I can confidently assert is that you can obtain a transit visa from VFS global: it is valid for a stay of up to three days (so is what you would need to leave the airport) and appears to cost about 70 pounds. (One website says that it costs US$881, but that is probably a mistake -- although with India you never know.)

e visa costs about £55 via official site. Im not sure this would be suitable though.
    Ive always found dealing with VFS Global a pain.
  • Voyager2002
    e visa costs about £55 via official site. Im not sure this would be suitable though.
    Ive always found dealing with VFS Global a pain.

I fear that the price has gone up -- surely not even India could charge more for a three-day transit visa than for a 30-day visa!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Transit visa
    https://boi.gov.in/content/transit-visa
    Visa fees for Transit visa is different for all the Missions, it ranges from $13 to $ 53.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Curls2208 wrote: »
    Anyway, for regular travellers it may seem like a stupid question.
    It's not a stupid question, especially where Indian official procedure is concerned. I travel regularly to Nepal but not via India so I can't give a definitive reply, but you should normally be able to assume that if you stay airside (in transit area without entering the country through immigration) no visa will be necessary.

Air India will check your bags through to KTM and if they don't actually issue your onward boarding pass at UK departure you should be able to get it from the transit desk at Delhi. Perhaps they have a phone app these days..?

Nine hours is a long wait but I believe there's a hotel available airside, you can Google it.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Voyager2002
    eDicky wrote: »
    ... you should normally be able to assume that if you stay airside (in transit area without entering the country through immigration) no visa will be necessary.

While that sounds like common sense, it is a dangerous assumption.

I discovered this in spectacular fashion when I arranged to attend a seminar given by a distinguished scientist who would have arrived in the country earlier that day. He did not arrive: his journey involved a change of 'planes in Paris, and the airline would not allow him to board the first flight of his journey since he did not have a transit visa valid for France. And yes: he had no plans to leave the transit area and would only have been in the airport there for a couple of hours. Oh: he held an Indian passport, so trust the Indians to do something equally stupid and inconvenient to transit passengers from Europe.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I eventually found the following on the Air India website:
    Transiting through India
    When you arrive into Gateway Point in India and have an onward connection to another international destination by any international carrier

You may remain in direct transit at the terminal or proceed directly to departure area, depending upon onward flight timings and as per the specific airport procedure.
    You are not allowed to proceed or pass through immigration and Customs unless you fulfil other requisite criteria.
    Should you require any assistance you may contact the Air India "International Transfer Desk” Terminal.

http://www.airindia.in/Transit-Information.htm

However, in the case of India it's still worth double checking this with the airline, perhaps OP will update us with the result of doing so, which would be useful to know.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport