All Scottish councils will offer £100 school uniform grants - MSE News

Options
All Scottish councils are offering eligible families a school uniform grant of at least £100 following an agreement with the Scottish Government...
Read the full story:
'All Scottish councils will offer £100 school uniform grants'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• AngusMcFilth
    Options
    It would be better if the government would do something about the legalised cartel that is Preferred Uniform Suppliers. Someone is making a lot of money somewhere.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My grandson's uniform comes from Primark
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Be far better to stop the scam where the schools have any say in who can provide a uniform and the standard school uniforms offered by the major supermarkets should be acceptable for all schools - with an "iron on" badge (to cost no more than 50p) if required.
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All councils in Scotland are complaining that they are short of cash. No bloody wonder.
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Paid for by the taxpayers in the whole of the UK, no doubt. :think:
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kevie192 wrote: »
    Paid for by the taxpayers in the whole of the UK, no doubt. :think:

How can people still not know how our country is structured given all the political upheaval the last few years?

The scottish government receive the exact same to spend per head of population on devolved matters that england spend on their services. They don't receive extra funding, they just choose to spend it differently.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It would be better if the government would do something about the legalised cartel that is Preferred Uniform Suppliers. Someone is making a lot of money somewhere.

Totally agree. They brought in school uniform for all schools to avoid the differences in their parents income - to stop the rich kids from all sitting at the front & getting free personal tuition (yes it did used to happen).

About 7 years ago a work colleague came in all happy & smiling because her daughter's school had a new head & they were getting a new school uniform. Designer trousers! Over £20 a pair. So I (not so kindly) reminded her that we were under threat of redundancy & what would she do then. And how would she feel if they got torn the first day back?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 September 2018 at 8:58PM
    Options
    WHY?

The tax payers will have to fund it

Being FORCED into paying for other peoples life choices

If you can't afford basics for your kids, don't have them (like the other irritating thread of high wage earners bleating about spending £20 a week on their kid attending Uni)

How do some pple make it through the day??

Kids are not a necessity - they are a choice based on parents wishes. Don't be astounded that other pple don't want to fund your rug rats when they have cut their cloth accordingly

Disliked the free school meals thing too. Not my choice to knock out those kids, i'm struggling (but manage without freebies) to feed mine ,so I begrudge feeding others

Really struggle with this given that there are better causes that the government could be spending money on..such as vulnerable homeless
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Hold on a minute. The uk taxpayers are not paying for this. The Scottish government gets a percentage of what they give back to the treasury in a block grant.

Secondly. If you grudge free meals. You might be grudging a kid getting the only hot meal of their day.

If you hojest
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry. Touched post button too soon. Anyone’s life circumstances can change. People can get made redundant.

I qualified for free school meals back in the day. At that point my mum worked full time but was on a low wage. She actually chose to pay for them because in those days the free dinner kids had to come out first and stand in a line. Everyone knew they were a free dinner.

My parents separated when I was four and my father paid the absolute basic for me. Two pounds a week back then.

It is not always a case of if you can’t afford kids don’t have them. People can end up poor (why don’t you ask the 3 million working poor in this country). Through no fault of their own.

120k families qualify for this. It’s not new. It used to be 50 pounds.

As for no wonder councils say they are skint.

Lmao. My local council spends money like there’s no tomorrow

They paid a contractor 9 million quid for a job worth 1.5 and they are bulldozing around 2000 structurally sound homes after spending millions in improvements and there’s more to come before they are knocked down.

Do the people who are grizzling about this mind their taxes going on the security for princess eugenies wedding. 2 million quid.

You know Eugenie who does zero royal duties and has a father worth 65 million?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure