Recording TV without Sky

Options
kerri_gt
kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
After more years than I care to admit I have just cancelled my Sky TV contract. Costs have continued to creep up over the years and overall we don't watch much except sports on TV.

So, we're having a pay TV detox - am looking at Now TV passes once Sky lapses to see what we really 'need' in terms of channels and what we simply don't miss.

However, what I will miss is the Sky recording function - esp to record something when we're out like a movie.

Is there any way I can still use my old Sky box to record (its an HD+ one) or will that function become unavailable? What other boxes are out there that would do this? I don't (think) I need anything like a Freesat box as NowTV will be streaming and we have a smart TV but it's nice to sometimes record something to watch at another time.
Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
JAN NSD 11/16

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want to record you will need a Freeview/Freesat/Youview PVR box. Once you cancel your Sky subscription you won't be able to use you Sky box to record. You have to pay Sky for that functionality.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there any way I can still use my old Sky box to record (its an HD+ one) or will that function become unavailable?

No. Part of your subscription is to use the recording features. Once you stop subscribing, you're not allowed to record, or VIEW YOUR RECORDINGS, on the box. You CAN keep paying them the ~£10 per month fee to keep it, but this is exactly what you're trying to get away from.

If you want to directly replace the Sky box, yes, you get a Freesat recorder. If you want the on-demand features, they call it Freetime.

If you have an aerial and want to use that instead, you could buy a Freeview recorder, or, again, to add on demand (and a very nice interface), Youview.

In either case, Now TV should be considered as 'Sky on demand' and either of the above devices will do the on demand job better, with the exception of all that lovely Sky content. Just so you're aware, loads of devices can do Now TV, you don't specifically need the box - PS3, Xbox for example. Maybe your Smart TV even has NowTV.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:06AM
    Options
    If you have already cancelled SKY & your white card has had all functions turned off, you are out of luck - it will not record.
    The trick is to cancel your subscription - but first remove your viewing card so it will not pick up any "Turn off" signals.
    Do not insert the card in the box for about 3 months (the time span Sky send the turn off signals). After that when you insert your card, it will initially be "Dead" but will wake up in a day or so, & whilst not decrypting any paid for channels, it should still record any of the "Free" stuff.
    I have 3 of these tricked cards....... Found in Car boot fairs & one in a cash generator shop........
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I have a Youview box from when I was with PlusNet last year. It's essentially a PVR, as in you can programme record, series record etc. and any programmes that are available on catch up services can be accessed via the guide or the apps direct. Humax boxes have a good reputation also.
    I use Now TV, and it works out much cheaper than sky subscription, but you do have to play their game. Get the free trial, and try cancelling regularly to get deals. Doesn't matter if you cancel the subscription, as it is stop/start when you want. For example, last year I had the entertainment pass on a reduced price for 3 months, went to cancel, and on the third 'are you sure you want to cancel' they offered me 4 months at half price. Managed to do that twice.
    I haven't used the new Now boxes, but they may be worth a look if they have a record function. If you haven't got a Now Tv box yet, worth keeping an eye out for ones with free passes, as the passes are usually worth more than the cost of the box. You don't need a box for Now TV if your TV has smart functions or you have a PS4 etc.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't used the new Now boxes, but they may be worth a look if they have a record function.

The Smart box has a 30 minute pause function.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    After more years than I care to admit I have just cancelled my Sky TV contract. Costs have continued to creep up over the years and overall we don't watch much except sports on TV.

So, we're having a pay TV detox - am looking at Now TV passes once Sky lapses to see what we really 'need' in terms of channels and what we simply don't miss.

However, what I will miss is the Sky recording function - esp to record something when we're out like a movie.

Is there any way I can still use my old Sky box to record (its an HD+ one) or will that function become unavailable? What other boxes are out there that would do this? I don't (think) I need anything like a Freesat box as NowTV will be streaming and we have a smart TV but it's nice to sometimes record something to watch at another time.

Before you buy anything check to see if your smart TV can record. On a lot of smart TV's you can simply plug a USB storage device into it and record from the freeveiw/freesat EPG.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks all for the input - it's been really helpful.

takman I will definitely check about the TV too - I think it does have USB connectivity so that should likely cover it.

BigPhil1474 I saw some of the deals with NowTV look great - even full price cinema and entertainment are pretty good esp when you're not tied to a contract.

HWW thanks for the info on the card, unfortunately too late here as I've already called Sky to cancel. I'll bear that in mind in the future though.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Before you buy anything check to see if your smart TV can record. On a lot of smart TV's you can simply plug a USB storage device into it and record from the freeveiw/freesat EPG.
    Some TVs do offer this feature but bear in mind that the recording functionality of televisions will be a lot less that you will get with a PVR.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    HWW thanks for the info on the card, unfortunately too late here as I've already called Sky to cancel. I'll bear that in mind in the future though.

The turn off signal only gets sent on your final day, you'll presumably be on a 30 day countdown at the moment.

There's no guarantee that this will work BTW but it doesn't cost anything to try.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Some TVs do offer this feature but bear in mind that the recording functionality of televisions will be a lot less that you will get with a PVR.

It all depends on the TV and what you consider to be "a lot less". On my TV you simply press record on the program in the EPG and you get the option of record this episode only or the whole series. You can also pause and resume live TV.

It doesn't have dual tuners but that's the only advantage a PVR will usually have and you can get a version of this TV with a dual tuner if you wanted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure