PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

End of Tenancy - £1800 bill.. please provide advice?

Options

Comments

• mr120
    mr120 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 4:43PM
    Options
    @carrot007:

Thanks for the reply - Yeah the patio door is UPVC, and yeah it was south facing I believe - good to know that it could have been the heat then! As we really didn't understand how it happened.
    When this goes to TDS, will they have understanding of things like UPVC cant be warped by slamming, it is most likely heat warp or will I need to use an expert to state this to TDS?

What do you mean 'are the prices duplicates'?

@ric1982 I believe we moved into a new build, so at this point i estimate ~5 - 5.5 years old
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    I would ask them proof of carpet's age. Because from that you can determine how much betterment you/they can claim.
  • saver_ali
    saver_ali Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have every sympathy with you! We have an almost identical situation with my son's landlord from a student let. They have refused to use the DPS resolution services, so we will have to go to court. I'm not hijacking your post (I will start my own thread when the time is right) but I will be following this with interest. Good luck!
  • Trixsie1989
    Options
    How much is your actual deposit?
    The deposit adjudicator can only award upto the amount of the deposit anyway so he'll come unstuck there with costing. But it is very likely that they would side with you and award him nothing. The law lies in favour of tenants and the landlord has to prove Everything implicitly before they get a penny. It takes ages to go through the deposit people but well worth it when you get your money back :)
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • Trixsie1989
    Options
    saver_ali wrote: »
    I have every sympathy with you! We have an almost identical situation with my son's landlord from a student let. They have refused to use the DPS resolution services, so we will have to go to court. I'm not hijacking your post (I will start my own thread when the time is right) but I will be following this with interest. Good luck!

Didn't think you could refuse to use the resolution services? Surely that looks bad on the landlord?
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apparently you can.
    Previous thread here.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5601593
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Didn't think you could refuse to use the resolution services? Surely that looks bad on the landlord?

Yes you can, we had a LL try it on us. Obviously going to court is a big step so they try to bully you by not accepting the ADR. We said bring it on, at which point they gave in and awarded entire amount back. From what we've heard the courts will basically throw it out for taking the !!!!. There's absolutely no reason I can think of for not going through ADR except to try and bully the tenant.

OP just go to the deposit service. Keep everything factual. Try to back up with evidence (photos etc). Don't say stuff like "they didn't fix a leaky tap for 3 months etc" just keep it all relevant to the deductions.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dispute the whole deduction and let the deposit protection scheme work out what is fair.

Don't try and negotiate with landlords or agents, they are all scammers.
    Just dispute it all.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • mr120
    mr120 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 5:45PM
    Options
    After receiving a new email from LL I have a few quick questions:

- Is it my responsibility to find a better quote for painting and tiling if we don't want to pay his estimates or is that all on him to do (£400 each before wear and tear) / something arbitration will just handle?
    - Is his point about carpet being fully on us still bogus?
    Still sounds like we will take it all to arbitration.

His latest response to my email, his responses in red:

- Please do get invoices, but do bear in mind the replacements must be same quality and value as the originals or the deduction must account for the original value and quality.
    Totally agree and this what we are doing and in everyones interest to keep the price as low as possible
    - Regarding carpets, this may be betterment? So we wont be paying the full amount but a % based on estimated life (usually 5-10 years for carpets) - actual life (~5 years).
    I am only going what I have been advised by lawyer and the Inventory comapny - who state that when you are forced to replace the carpet (rather than leave it for an additional 5-7 yrs Then you can claim the full amount - talk to the inventory company
    - The lights are the correct lights, the difference between a standard spotlight and a bathroom spotlight is the fixture voltage not the bulb.
    Repair man Letting agent sent round said that bathroom and Kitchen bulbs a) need protector in place and are a set specification . Current ones need replacing as cant be let as against the standard
    - With research, scratches on the tiles would not require us to pay for them all to be replaced, only the 1 or 2 that ended up scratched + 50% of labour costs.
    Give me the details of a tiler who can do this please - as the expert sent round said it was not possible to remove 2 tiles in the center
    - Painting the room is fine but that evaluation sounds very high for a small room in a few coats of non-washable white paint.
    Again just going by the verbal quote ( of the person the letting agent sent round) - DO you have another firm you would prefer me to use, as still waiting for written quote
    We do want to help out as we understand that we caused some damage through regular use - but your estimates seem very high.
    As I said just going by verbal estimates at this stage and will take off wear % as advised by letting agent/ inventory company who know what is fair to claim

We will have more idea when the quotes come in but honestly still felt that my original offer (of £1k which is now off the table) was overly optimistic - but lets wait till I have these. Yet as I said please email the details of any firm who will come over to repalce two centrally located tiles and I'll get them over

(We accidentally forgot to cancel our standing order so he had £1000 extra from us which he held ransom saying he will return half if we accept his offer of taking £1000 bill) - till his lawyer told him to return it quickly..)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I take it you have read the information in the link given in post #7. It explains betterment. Do you think the definition of betterment has somehow changed since you last posted?

Why would you need to get quotes when the onus is on the landlord to prove the deductions are reasonable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure