PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I always remember that my 2 great-aunts were much better at doing stuff with me and my sisters (despite those lovely ladies never having had their own littlies) than either of our grandmas - the grannies just didn't "get" children - even when theirs were kids, by all accounts! I remember being taken for a week to my paternal gran when I was about 9 or 10 - hated every single minute and bawled my eyes out until dad came for me. She was an absolute witch, only wanted us there so she could show off to the neighbours! Apologies to those of who who are, or have had, lovely grannies - I feel grateful that I had the great aunts to compensate! :rotfl:

My in-laws had passed away when DD29 was just a toddler, so our kids never knew those grandparents, mine were around a lot longer, and we only lost my mum 2 years ago. My parents were ace grands - my mum loved doing things with each grandchild individually, my dad was rather cheeky with them all - very blessed!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • I don't remember any cuddles either Mar, it was a different age in a different world. What I do remember is being totally scared of the dark, my aunt ran a country pub in a small village that didn't have street lighting and the pub didn't have either electricity or mains gas or water so I had to go to bed by oil lamp which was blown out as soon as I was between the sheets, they cooked on an 'oil' (paraffin) range and the water was from the outside well, in the garden with the privy and earth bucket loo outside. Not good when you're 4!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    No cuddles from mam but I knew she loved me... she bought me chocolate.

My grandparents were canny on both sides. My Dad's Dad was dominant I think.i was only little when he died but I remember being a bit fearful of him. My other grandad was sarcastic but funny. He watched and took everything in, saying very little. I remember him saying that I was the only.grandchild that ever said please and thank you. My OS grandma (his wife) was lovely but a bit of a martyr in terms of being a housewife on repeat. My other grandma went to tea dances,volunteered etc and had a different outlook but she lost her way due to grief (my dad) in the end. My aunties were either wracked with bitterness,jealousy or the two on my dad's side disappeared - they were all about when I was a child though. I had a good chdhood up to ten but I will always remember my mm getting angry at me for rushing to the window when dad came home from work. She had looked after me all day. She deserved the happiness and excitement. I can see where she got her martyrdom from and I can see the narcissistic ways looking back. Bless her. We're all a bit flawed e?
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always made it clear that I wouldn't do full time babysitting but would help out if needed.
    When DD2 was offered her dream job she discussed with me what was needed and how much I would do before accepting the job. One of the reasons I agreed to help was because there is a time limit, dgd starts school in a year and then I will be surplus to requirements.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Welcome Veg patch! While you're welcome to stay in the shed if you like (please don't wake nursie!!!! :eek: ) I'd suggest you sidle up to the fence. We don't bite (well, Mar will definitely bite Donkey...)
  • We have a DONKEY? Hoorah!!! does he get along with heffalumps, dragons and camels and possibly alpacas? life gets more and more interesting on this fence!

Welcome aboard Vegpatch and Donkey lovely to have you with us and joining in the banter not just following. Retro sweeties eh? for goodness sake get a safe to keep them in or our Scots contingent will disappear them before you can say 'Oi', I'm partial to Pontefract Cakes myself so if any of those are lurking you'll need an extra strong lock on that safe!

By gosh it's cooler today down here, He Who Knows has gone off with his pal to annoy the fish population in the local lake and I'm packing boxes. I've just gone through the smallest freezer and made space for all the meat and fish from the big one we're going to freecycle next week so all that's in the big one now is fruit and veg, mainly home done that will be able to go on the compost heap (way too much to finish in a fortnight) when we turn off the old freezer. The lounge has developed an echo because it's almost empty just left with 2 armchairs and footstools, 1 dining room table and 4 chairs the TV on a stand and 1 small sideboard and a couple of box mountains, it's a big old room when the furniture's not in it, I'd forgotten that!

Our buyer was in contact yesterday and kindly said she's not moving in on the 29th so if we over run time wise loading the removal van she's happy with that which is nice of her so it's amicable relations which is always better than fraught isn't it? we'll need to be away by lunchtime at the latest though as we've a 2 1/2 hour journey to the new house and have to collect our keys from the estate agent at the other end, I'm getting quite excited about it all but somehow it still feels like I'll wake up any minute and find it's all been a dream, strange feeling! xxx.
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Squiggly_Diddly Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2018 at 10:29AM
    Another lurker here - I have done the same as you VegPatch!! (I wasn!!!8217;t sure if I was supposed to mention the other here or who to contact to say I!!!8217;d registered there...).

I used to post regularly on the daily although life (work) took over. I did post here & there on other OS threads occasionally, including the sewing one, but again life became only work and sleep. I love reading the garden fence, often find myself having a giggle at your adventures or admiring the strength among you all.

I have 3 adult daughters, the only one who was still living here has just gone off to Australia for a year or so, and I have just left the job I went back to university to retrain for 2 years ago (teacher) to instead find more of a work/life balance and earn more money.
    I moved house to downsize the mortgage a few months ago - it was a project - and so find myself now living alone for the first time in my life, with work still to be done on the house, starting a new job on Monday and a determination to get back to cooking, sewing, decluttering and just having a life!!

I am looking forward to contributing rather than just lurking....
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• Litha
    Litha Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Good morning Fencers :-)
    Welcome to Veg Patch and Squiddly Diddly, hello, I am fairly new here myself. I am also a former long term user of MSE who couldn't remember their password and just decided to make a new and shiny profile :-)
    You have reminded me that I must contribute more and not just read along with other folk's adventures.
    I am leaving for work shortly ( I have had lots of extra work with the European Championships currently taking place in Glasgow, happy days! )
    Love and glitter to everyone <3
    Linda x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have :heart:
  • Litha
    Litha Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I almost forgot the reason I am on here this morning. I was looking for the link to the Emergency Fence but cannot find it.
    Help a mad, bad purple wearing person out please?
    L x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have :heart:
  • Hi SQUIGGLY DIDDLEY welcome in to you too, it's always really nice when folks who have only read along decide they like us well enough to join the family, specially good if you find yourself with 'extra' time on your hands because circumstances change at home. We're here 24/7 because we've pals all over the planet who join in so there's usually someone to chat to even in the wee small hours so hopefully we'll be able to fill the gaps as it were xxx.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback