Returning an opened item (goes against return policy)?

Options

Comments

• ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Out of curiosity - when did this 'recorded' service stop? As for years i've said for example .... 2nd class recorded & i've ALWAYS been given the service that requires the signature.

It's now called "Signed for" and not recorded, and covers you for goods between £20 and £50.

That said, parcels under £20 can be tracked with the reference number Royal Mail gave you and you WILL win a "not received" case as long as the tracking shows it was delivered. So, if for any reason, the people you're returning items to say they haven't received them you can check the tracking, and then take it from there.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wondered why the reference number looked totally different. :mad:

The other week she went in & posted a couple of items ... "first class recorded" (because neither of us knew that this service no longer existed. Only right now from reading your post has either of us become aware)

On THAT receipt it stated "1st class ... SIGNED FOR" and had a reference number in the format that it always has done when asking for this service.

Today she goes in & since there's no urgency for it to reach its destination she asks for "second class recorded" - like she always has done.

This time i've noticed on the receipt that it doesn't say anything about signed for, it only says 2nd class.

The thing that stood out to me is the reference number is in a totally different format. Instead of the letter-letter-load of numbers-letter-letter (where the final 2 letters always seem to be GB) this time the format is ####-####-####-#XX#

with # being number & X being letter and the dashes included.

So i'm guessing then that this has been sent the lesser of the two methods.

Really the postie should've said - we no longer do a recorded service OR said do you mean X service or Y service, to which my wife could've said i'm not sure i'll come back again tomorrow once i've asked the question.

Just hope the parcels reach their destination now :(

£2.95 was the price for each. One weighed 236g the other 681g if that helps.

Out of curiosity - when did this 'recorded' service stop? As for years i've said for example .... 2nd class recorded & i've ALWAYS been given the service that requires the signature.

Some clerks are more helpful than others and some I suspect are fed up with being accused of upselling when people only want a cheap service. From memory 'recorded' was replaced by 'signed for' around 7 years ago, so it may well be a newer clerk hasn't any idea what it means.

As has been said the standard service offers compensation up to £20 for loss but more importantly is supposed to get online proof of delivery. Check the numbers on the track and trace in a few days and see what they say, until delivery is confirmed though the number won't show anything.

Do you have a return open on eBay as if so all you need to do is add the delivery co formation and when it shows as delivered you can ask eBay to remind seller to refund. With the Amazon one I assume again that you have a proper request open as they usually give you an RMA number and that is used to confirm your return . In fact the last time we sent something back to Amazon (it had arrived very late) they just sent us a pre paid label that had the RMA already in it and the paperwork to add to the packaging.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Shopping online has it's benefits, but if your going to worry about return postage all the time then clearly you should use the high street and help keep it alive.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Do you have a return open on eBay as if so all you need to do is add the delivery co formation .
    I tried to do this.

I selected that it had been dispatched in the open return case i have with the seller.

I was then to select the service - so that's Royal Mail. I was then under that to enter the tracker number.
    I entered what it says on my receipt and it says invalid number entered.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried to do this.

I selected that it had been dispatched in the open return case i have with the seller.

I was then to select the service - so that's Royal Mail. I was then under that to enter the tracker number.

Do not worry, an ebay return using their label has this anomaly. Check again in 2 -3 days and it will be fine.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried to do this.

As abive, standard parcels have no tracking but are supposed to have delivery confirmation. The message will not change until the day after delivery at the earliest.
    Do not worry, an ebay return using their label has this anomaly. Check again in 2 -3 days and it will be fine.

This is not using an eBay label though, OP has sent it standard parcels with no input from seller.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »

This is not using an eBay label though, OP has sent it standard parcels with no input from seller.

Sorry OP, I missed that.

As has been advised, your POD (proof of delivery) will only be valid when the item has been delivered. If you cannot upload it then you will have to ring eBay and ask them to add it.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Turns out i was entering it incorrectly.

I was including the hyphens as shown on the receipt. Apparently i'm not supposed to do that & just enter the numbers.

I've received a refund on the eBay purchase. Just the Amazon one to go now. I got not so great vibes from this seller regards the return but fingers crossed.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Well I'm wondering what to do with this next. To summarise...

I had an defective Amazon order (£45+£10postage = £55 total) to return and an eBay order that was simply the wrong size (£25 inc. free P+P).

Contacted both sellers regards returning (I always prefer to give the heads up that i'm going to return in case they have some sort of policy whereby they want an returns code attaching to the parcel or inside it for example).

The eBay seller never responded but i returned anyway. The Amazon seller did respond and i got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that they weren't too impressed but accepted that i'd be returning it.

Monday 2nd July both items were posted back. Supposed to be 2nd class signed for but as per previous posts it turned out to be 2nd class with proof of postage reference.

On Wednesday 4th July the eBay seller refunded me for their item - so thankfully that went fine.

The tracker for the Amazon order doesn't yet say delivered (like the eBay one does) & obviously no refund from them.

Now with eBay, after a while you just contact eBay through the resolution centre after X-days and providing you provide proof of postage eBay just rule in favour of the buyer. eBay appears very pro buyer (one of the reasons i only sell on eBay as a last resort).

What happens with Amazon though? Just wondering what to do here as really the parcel should've arrived by now. I know the timeframe they give on 2nd class can be quite long but from my experience that seems to be just to cover themselves and so long as you're outside of the busy period (Xmas) if it doesn't reach its destination after 2-3 days then it doesn't reach its destination full stop.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Been in touch with the seller - they responded today, item still not arrived apparently.

What to do from here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport