PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Critique my house please

Options

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The flat roof, strange layout, and the colour schemes would put me off. What exactly is the space that runs from the front to the back used for? It appears to be part of the kitchen but no units showing on the plan and no photos. You have a nice big area for the dining table but have it shoved against the wall, most people only do that to save space but you have plenty. The kitchen colours would bug me but can be painted over relatively easily but the black bathroom is just not to my taste at all, I would want it ripped out on day one, so would have to consider the cost of that on top of the cost of the house and it's just not worth it.

You also appear to have the only house in the street that has blocked off the side access, one of the positives of having a semi detached is the side access.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2018 at 6:55PM
    Options
    The black bathroom would put me off, the diner looks dark (lights on during the day? Suggests insufficient natural light), turquoise ceiling beams make the ceilings look low, emphasising the impression of lack of light.
    Odd long thin area on floorplan running to the front of the house from the kitchen. (I would put up a partition wall and put in a doorway on the wall from the hall.)
    I'm a fan of colour but not the colour in the kitchen/diner, it looks like it might take alot to cover it up too.
    TBZh I don't think the extension to the side of the house has been well thought out, it's given insufficient width for the two extra bedrooms , a very odd layout downstairs and lost the side access to the garden. Might as well be a mid-terrace without that side access.
    I would also be worried about the flat roof but as all surrounding houses appear to have the same would be prepared to do further research on this.

Overall impression is lots of work needed, and (potentially) money spending on it.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Options
    Lack of kerb appeal - front is very stark.
    No side access to rear
    Turquise kitchen walls might be okay but the turquoise ceiling beams are really intrusive
    Dining table is cramped against the wall (The fitted kitchen itself looks quite nice)
    Lounge is OK but no feature fireplace on the chimney breast (not even a small unit with a vase of twigs)
    Building materials on RHS of garden - again all the brickwork is very stark. You can get plastic fake ivy.
    Photo 8 is just a very bad photo
    Photo 9 the bedroom looks unusable with that wardrobe and a double bed. Refurnish as a single
    Photo 10 is that even a bedroom?
    Something needs to be done with that bathroom but I don't know what. Would white grouting improve it? Not sure. But you could at least paint the back of the door.
    "cubicle" is spelt thus.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • naughtyjo
    naughtyjo Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    KatieDee wrote: »
    Being a Donny lass myself (but moving away as soon as I could) I have to say that the area would put me off. For Doncaster, the price is quite high, especially considering that it isn't a detached. If you're going to pay 150k for a house, you'd probably try and go closer to what are considered nicer areas.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/53331105 this is very near by and 20k cheaper. Yes it has one less bedroom but it's ready to move into.

Bright colours in the kitchen and dining room are off-putting. It would be lovely if it was white or magnolia though, as it's really spacious!

Mr Dee just glanced over and said "the rooms are a bit statement-y". What works for you and your family might not work for the average Joe, and it can be really hard to look past something that bold and imagine your own stamp. I imagine it'll also be a nightmare to paint over! :rotfl:

I think it's a lovely size though, and your bedrooms look lovely with the big windows. I feel terrible criticising it but I wanted to be as honest as possible. The fact it's a four bed is a definitely plus too!

I think if you were to drop the price to sub 150k, you'd get a lot more interest. It all depends on what situation you're in and whether you're able to do this, but if your EA has suggested it then I'm sure they're worth listening to.

Thanks for input my house isn’t in edenthorpe though it’s in Sunnyfields/Scawsby my EA is advising not to reduce but I am tempted. I think my colour may put folk off so will look at making it neutral. Appreciate the reply
  • KatieDee
    KatieDee Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2018 at 6:54PM
    Options
    naughtyjo wrote: »
    Thanks for input my house isn’t in edenthorpe though it’s in Sunnyfields/Scawsby my EA is advising not to reduce but I am tempted. I think my colour may put folk off so will look at making it neutral. Appreciate the reply

I completely misread the bit about the EA - sorry! I think dropping the price ever so slightly.

No problem - I know it must be tough to read a bunch of anonymous people critiquing your family home. I am sure you will sell your house, it has some real potential and I can see what you're aiming for. You have an eye for flair! Houses just tend to sell better the more boring they are :rotfl:

Good luck anyway. I hope it sells soon and you get the house of your dreams :D
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Definitely put off by the flat roof. I would have to change the blue in the kitchen which wouldn't be too much of a problem but the black bathroom would be a lot bigger job.

Looks like most of us think the same.
  • naughtyjo
    naughtyjo Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    KatieDee wrote: »
    I completely misread the bit about the EA - sorry! I think dropping the price ever so slightly.

No problem - I know it must be tough to read a bunch of anonymous people critiquing your family home. I am sure you will sell your house, it has some real potential and I can see what you're aiming for. You have an eye for flair! Houses just tend to sell better the more boring they are :rotfl:

Good luck anyway. I hope it sells soon and you get the house of your dreams :D

It’s really good to see what folk think and is making me think about the house from a buyers point of view it’s whats needed and if it helps sell it’s all good and much appreciated.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2018 at 11:25PM
    Options
    I wonder why your agent isn"t giving you this advice, that"s what you"re paying them for.

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, I think it"s definitely worth neutralising yours. Most people don"t want the hassle after they move in unless the price is right so any money spent in these areas will reap rewards.

Edited to replace incorrect parsing of the apostrophe error "!!!8217;"
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no picture from end if garden to back of house, colour scheme not to my taste, kitchen just looks enormously out of scale with not many cupboards for the size and table shoved up to the wall.
    Omg the black bathroom!!!
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    I have to admit, I quite like the frontage - a hint of deco.

Going inside, your taste in colourschemes is... individual. This will not be helping you one bit. A tin of white paint is not expensive, and will improve saleability no end. Yes, it's boring. But...

Individual pics...
    Pic 1 - looks like a commercial building next-but-one. Is it? Streetview seems to go to the wrong place, so can't check it out.
    Pic 3 - living room. Looks very cramped. The dimensions say it's not, but...
    Pic 8 - Bed 2? Odd. Can you swap the office into the room in pic 10, and the dressing room stuff into that bedroom's alcove? Yes, I know they're not buying your furniture, but...
    Pic 9 - CRAMPED!

That apart... No, seriously - the kitchen's a really good size, once you look past that colour. The back garden's just fine. Get dimensions on the floorplan.

As for the locale - it's what it is, and the price point and location are what they are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure