PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    :) I am not doing too badly! The house ......... well still plenty of decluttering to do there but I have a cleaning routine that I am trying to stick to. Plus I am working on not feeling guilty for having a 30 minute sit down to read a book as I LOVE to read! I also treated myself to some baking equipment that I can't wait to use and am also working on sorting the garden! x

Angel_Jenny, ‘not doing too bad’ - I would say you are doing extremely well :j You MUST never feel guilty doing something you love :) I would bet that you feel recharged :rotfl: I look forward to reading about your baking exploits - you might manage to instil in me a desire to bake fancy decorated cakes again :rotfl:

Keep up the good work & I hope you post a little more often :D

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Just found this thread in the middle of a bad week. Magic thank you all!! ;) When severely stressed or miserable I definitely retreat into the year 1881. I do things they did then, like do a menu plan :D . Do proper real old fashioned meals; bake a cake and/or make pudding; and visualise meself as the Lady of the House.. the Heart of the Home.
    Instead of a wee ratty hassled tired old bat :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    mardatha, I laughed so much I fell off my chair reading those last two sentences :rotfl:

Thank you for brightening up my day :T

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    mardatha wrote: »
    Just found this thread in the middle of a bad week. Magic thank you all!! ;) When severely stressed or miserable I definitely retreat into the year 1881. I do things they did then, like do a menu plan :D . Do proper real old fashioned meals; bake a cake and/or make pudding; and visualise meself as the Lady of the House.. the Heart of the Home.
    Instead of a wee ratty hassled tired old bat :rotfl::rotfl:

I baked a cake yesterday as I was stressing myself out. Normally when I get stressed and in an over thinking / worrying mood I just sit and get deeper into it. I am working on better ways to deal with it as worrying constantly is so draining x
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I also bake cakes when stressed. Back in the day, when I was working and hated my job I would occasionally, when things were particularly bad, bake bread. It was the only bit of my giving-up-work-and-staying-home fantasy that I could actually put into practice. Dh always knew things were particularly bad when he saw me baking bread!! Now we have a breadmaker I have had to find other ways of letting him know I am stressed. I manage!:D
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I don't tend to be stressy for long- very rarely. But I do get ratty lol, usually at my own health stopping me doing what I want to. But it doesn't last long - because stress uses up energy and I haven't got any to spare!
    Had a great day yesterday in the garden, awful one today, so tomorrow I'm going to do a big pot of stew for the freezer, an Eve's pudding, and a sultana cake - for a household that eats low-carb that's quite enough ;)
    Currently reading the wartime diary of a Mrs Miles and realising how lucky we are- they were struggling to find even boring food back then ..
  • Hi everyone,

Hope you are doing well :) and that the bakers among you are having lots of de-stressing time in the kitchen :D

DB & DH are off in the hired van taking DSis’s furniture & belongings to my house. DH returning by plane on Monday, last of the cleaning & tidying & sorting out of officialdom on Tuesday & setting off on Wednesday to be back in London Thursday evening :D

Looking forward to feeding the birds, seeing the squirrels & being able to pop out for milk 24/7 :rotfl:

MrsSD

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    I forgot something - I am really looking forward to using my kitchen - it might be small but I won’t need my hiking boots to get from one end to the other :rotfl: and once the oven is on it gets nice & warm!

MrsSD

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Where is everyone?

The weather has been so hot since we got back that I haven’t wanted to cook :rotfl: but I am keeping the kitchen tidy & clutter free :T

MrsSD

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Where is everyone?
    Well I for one have been busy cleaning. That's my go-to occupation when stressed (I loathe cooking/baking, so that wouldn't work for me); it's called rage-cleaning on the Flylady thread. :D I seem to be doing a lot of it lately.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure