EDF Monthly

AndyPK
AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi I would welcome some advise from customers of EDF on monthly DD.

I've been used to quarterly DD where they remind you to send a reading in quarterly and then provide a bill for what has been used.

It was so much hassle switching this time, I decided to stay on monthly DD (gas) (worked out I would loose less than £2 in interest), but as I have never been on it, how does it work?

1. Do they remind me to send a reading monthly?
What do they expect of me?

2. How often do I get a bill ? to understand if my monthly DD is on target?

3. What are EDF like for increasing the DD once agreed ?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    They bill quarterly but if you submit readings at not less than 28 days apart they will bill to that reading. They will review your account at mid term and adjust the DD, any excess credit at that review will be returned.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Submit regular readings, set an alarm or mark your calender for the fist of every mo th.

Otherwise get a smart meter, then you dont need to send any readings at all
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Nah, always take meter readings, smart or not.

That way you know if you are on track. Even with a smart meter, suppliers may not adjust if you are paying too much or too little.

There could also be a breakdown in communication and suppliers may not get the reading.

Take your readings, write them down and you are prepared in case of any issues.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nah, always take meter readings, smart or not.

That way you know if you are on track. Even with a smart meter, suppliers may not adjust if you are paying too much or too little.

There could also be a breakdown in communication and suppliers may not get the reading.

Take your readings, write them down and you are prepared in case of any issues.
    Absolutely agree - keep your own records ready for the day the supplier's system goes down or for when you've left them and they send you a bill out of the blue.

I record every Monday morning and on the first day of every month.

I can see if my readings are on track with my anticipated consumption and whether my DD is tracking properly to end up with a zero balance at the end of my contract.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    My spreadsheet takes care of my readings, for both gas and electricity. Have to alter the gas occasionally, as my formula for converting from kw to m^3 is slightly out,and have to adjust by 1 every now and again.
  • I'm all electric. I'm with edf and they bill me twice yearly.
    I read my meter weekly and have a monthly direct debit set up.
    I control the amount of my direct debit. If they do increase /decrease the amount I go online to my account and speak to an online adviser to change it back to what i want it to be.
    I can also change the amount via my oneline account myself. You can also add extra top up money to the account if you need to rather than change your direct debit.
    My direct debit is set to the amount I want it at but I do read my meter regularly. I'm not on a smart meter.
    Hope this helps.
  • AndyPK
    Thank you ImDoingItForMe for the EDF info.

kw to m^3 is slightly out,and have to adjust by 1 every now and again.

They change the calorific value now and again. (the number that is approx 39) so that will be why.

I'm in no rush to get a smart meter. (don't want version 1)
    I do record my meter readings.

As I'm starting the year tariff in the summer hopefully they shouldn't increase my DD.

Just wondered how the process with EDF worked.
  • AndyPK
    edited 30 June 2018 at 10:24PM
    Well being 3 months in, I thought I would send a reading in. (none requested oddly). Wish I hadn't bothered!

Had an email to say my bill was ready to view and that my monthly amount needed to change :mad: (expecting an unnecessary increase)

But they want to decrease by £4 month, which will leave it a whole months payment short at the end.

How the hell can they predict what I will use in winter?
    I had carefully set up my DD amount!

Anyway I think there is a button to change it back so I better do that.

Don't think I will be rushing to send in any more readings in summertime or until requested as it's just creating extra work for me!
    Easier to keep a record myself.

Next time I change it will be back to Quarterly billed exact usage
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I left EDF partially because of their regular overcharging and insistence on drip feeding my money back to me.

They never explained why a disinterested customer with near zero experience of energy billing could accurately work out the monthly DD but a major energy supplier couldn't.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Perhaps had the most issues with EDF compared to any other supplier over the way they kept wanting to change my monthly DD; one minute up the next down.

To their credit, a quick phone call to them on each occassion resulted in them agreeing to not change the payment amount.
    But it would be even better if they sorted out their computer algorithm so that I didn't have to maker the call and get a human to override the computer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure